Author Topic: Consolidated Binder's Handbook (Repost with Formatting)  (Read 76104 times)

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
Re: [WIP] Binder's Guide: Trade Your Soul for Awesome
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2011, 05:46:21 PM »
Here's how I check if it's "Innate".

Does every member of that race have it?  If the answer is "yes", then it's innate.  Otherwise, no.
That's a bit problematic for a definition, since a lot of races have a set of different abilities that you can select from - for example, dragonborn or fey'ri. 

So the ability to get an ability is inherent, but the abilities individually are not.  Seems fine. =P
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2011, 05:59:53 PM »
Yeah, you're right that it's not the best definition.  I guess you can say that the spellcasting ability is inherent, but not the spells.  That's the best I can think of.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2011, 10:19:26 PM »
It seems to me that a creature with innate spellcasting doesn't have each spell be innate, as they chose which ones they want to know (one assumes, unless for some reason a specific creature can't).  So I'd say a creature with innate Wizard casting who happens to know Plane Shift could use it when you summon him, but one that has Plane Shift (Sp) could not.

JaronK

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2011, 02:43:50 AM »
Sorry I haven't edited/added extra, I've been super busy lately.  I haven't forgotten this.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

Cagemarrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2011, 03:34:14 PM »
Check your PM Sobolev, I've sent a link to my plant materials document. Let me know if you need it in a different format.

Bigtuna

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2011, 12:26:05 PM »
Binder are usally cha based - for those who would rather make an int based binder (wizard going into anima mage) - the quorbred template from SoS (+1 LE) should be mentioned. Makes cha based  DC into int based - it would hurt your binding checks - it can still have it's uses.
A wizard/binder/anima mage binding lower level vestiges (such those giving him sneak and sudden strike ) would be be able to make good pacts, gaining the abilities of the anima mage and suffer less from MAD.
I wouldn't use it with buy off though..

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2011, 03:05:53 PM »
Binder are usally cha based - for those who would rather make an int based binder (wizard going into anima mage) - the quorbred template from SoS (+1 LE) should be mentioned. Makes cha based  DC into int based - it would hurt your binding checks - it can still have it's uses.
A wizard/binder/anima mage binding lower level vestiges (such those giving him sneak and sudden strike ) would be be able to make good pacts, gaining the abilities of the anima mage and suffer less from MAD.

I don't see any LA entry for the Quorbred template, which would make it default to LA: --, I believe. Note that the CR adjustment is not equivalent to LA.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Bigtuna

« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2011, 09:51:57 AM »

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2011, 11:38:15 AM »
Not quite. if no LA is given, then the LA defaults to "none given", which translates to "PCs can't have it, nyah".

To b fair, though, it doesn't seem like a gamebreaking thing to allow on a PC.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Bigtuna

« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2011, 12:44:06 PM »
Gamebreaking by no means.

But then I have always considered Binders to be less than an optimal choise. But the whole making a pact with a powerfull being that refused to die is just nice. If only i could change vestiges more often - as often as i would like - out off combat (to be balanced) they would rock! I can't recall how many times i have thought - I could totally do something about this and that if i had bound the right vestige... Tomorrow then.. But we never wait untill tomorrow. The bad guys are here now - and the party moves on! So to bad the binder could have cold immunity tomorrow - let's fight those cold-something-something to day.

So I end up with the same vestiges that i know works. Dehlvar-Nar at low levels, then Focolar, then Asaroth (the fallen angel) and now Malphas and Andromalius . I have tried others but by then end of the day they just sucked and so did my char that day. (other vestiges might work for other builds - I'm playing a binder/sorc/anima mage). So every time i gain a the ability to bind new vestiges i'm faced with the dilemma - do they work? If not I'll have an offday...
(Just made a Vestige psylactory - it's nice, BUT I sure would like to change every time we go from the Ogre strong hold into the undead lair...)
Sorry for the rant...

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2011, 01:28:37 PM »
Try getting with the casters in your party and determine what spells they prepared before picking your vestiges for the day.  I've found that helps significantly.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Bigtuna

« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2011, 01:55:16 PM »
Well I'm a Sorc and the other caster is a Beguiler - so I have a pretty good idea about what spells we can cast :-)

But if the Binder class ever should be "fixed" - not that it need it - this is just me that want more. A few "rebind vestige"/day abilities would go a long way. Everytime you do some reseach about what comes ahead (knowledge checks, investigation, garher information, divination, rolleplaying with NPC's you name it) the binder would shine if he could adapt to the situation.
Sure you might still make a bad call (as the time i make a pact with Dehlve-Nar, to help me against what ever was driving the local pesants mad,0 - it turned out, they were shocked by undeads killing their childeren, not by some insanity spell) - but at, least the binder would have the choise!

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2011, 02:01:28 PM »
Gamebreaking by no means.

But then I have always considered Binders to be less than an optimal choise. But the whole making a pact with a powerfull being that refused to die is just nice. If only i could change vestiges more often - as often as i would like - out off combat (to be balanced) they would rock! I can't recall how many times i have thought - I could totally do something about this and that if i had bound the right vestige... Tomorrow then.. But we never wait untill tomorrow. The bad guys are here now - and the party moves on! So to bad the binder could have cold immunity tomorrow - let's fight those cold-something-something to day.

So I end up with the same vestiges that i know works. Dehlvar-Nar at low levels, then Focolar, then Asaroth (the fallen angel) and now Malphas and Andromalius . I have tried others but by then end of the day they just sucked and so did my char that day. (other vestiges might work for other builds - I'm playing a binder/sorc/anima mage). So every time i gain a the ability to bind new vestiges i'm faced with the dilemma - do they work? If not I'll have an offday...
(Just made a Vestige psylactory - it's nice, BUT I sure would like to change every time we go from the Ogre strong hold into the undead lair...)
Sorry for the rant...

Like with the Expel Vestige feat? Only 1/day but... still.

Cagemarrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2011, 04:56:18 PM »
I PM'd this to Sobolev but haven't heard back from him. I'll leave the link active for a few days if anyone is interested in it.

I finished my Useful Materials for the Djinn Summon to create file if you'd like a copy. It's currently in open office format but I can provide it in doc or PDF if you'd prefer. I unfortunately don't have anywhere I can post it to to provide a link beyond a public Drop Box one.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12077336/Major%20Creation%20-%20Plant%20Matter.ods

I'm still working on the Full summon monster stat doc, 61 pages and counting so far.

Mushroom

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2011, 07:47:00 PM »

I don't see any LA entry for the Quorbred template, which would make it default to LA: --, I believe. Note that the CR adjustment is not equivalent to LA.
Look under Advanced Quorbred, it lists the template as +2 LA(I think)

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2011, 07:58:39 PM »

Look under Advanced Quorbred, it lists the template as +2 LA(I think)
So it does. Disregard what I said.

Bigtuna

« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2011, 09:24:01 AM »
Ah Yes the hid it at the very end. - Well then only use with buy-off then..

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2011, 04:38:41 PM »
For anything that's INT based, that's quite a handy template, if you get buyoff or free LA.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2011, 01:50:45 AM »
Mmm...

Quorbred Incarnate Construct Warforged.

LA +0.

Also, does anyone know how Move Ally from Savnok (at BL 13, of course) and Chupoclops work? Does your ally become Ethereal?

If so, SWEET! I'm totally going to get everyone in the party to take some sort of swift action movement (Travel Devotion, a couple others...)
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2011, 11:27:53 PM »
I PM'd this to Sobolev but haven't heard back from him. I'll leave the link active for a few days if anyone is interested in it.

I finished my Useful Materials for the Djinn Summon to create file if you'd like a copy. It's currently in open office format but I can provide it in doc or PDF if you'd prefer. I unfortunately don't have anywhere I can post it to to provide a link beyond a public Drop Box one.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12077336/Major%20Creation%20-%20Plant%20Matter.ods

I'm still working on the Full summon monster stat doc, 61 pages and counting so far.

I did tell you you're awesome, right?
Because you are. :D
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.