Author Topic: Making Fighter class something special  (Read 2018 times)

Anarchy_Kanya

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Bisexuality rocks! Anarchy Rules! Anarchy Girl FTW
Making Fighter class something special
« on: March 02, 2011, 08:09:21 PM »
I was thinking about doing something with the Fighter, more specificly his one and only class feature - feats.
My first idea was to give fighters MORE feats but it was suggested that feats are too weak and therefore fighters are weak and that no amount of feats will help him. I want to believe that people here know what they're saying, so I'm gonna just agree (but I don't have any experience with it and don't have time to check this by myself).
My second idea was to make feats stronger. This, I think, WOULD be good, BUT... it would also be pointless, because the stronger feats would be also available to other classes and fighter would still be weak in comparison.
So, my newest idea is... to give fighters something special in addidtion to the bonuses from the feats.
I was thinking of something like double fixed numerical values (i.e. Weapon Focus feat chain would give fighters their normal bonus x2 and Improved Trip would give +8 instead of +4 to trip attempts, etc.). Other feats would be taken care of individualy. For example Power Attack would give 1 additional point of damage per point of BaB sacraficed, but not more then his level (so people will not just dip one level for this feature).
Also I'm thinking about creating "fighter only" feats that will give him some power.
Those are just loose thoughts and I hope that it's making sense to you.
I'm also asking for suggestions on how to proceed with this little project and some input on what exactly it is that the fighter needs.
I'm going after making the fighter the ultiimate master at fighting, because if it's the only thing he can do, then he better be the best in it. :)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 08:11:11 PM by Anarchy_Kanya »
Fly Away With Me!
We Are Angels! Anarchy!
[spoiler]
Once my 12 level VoP exalted Monk beat a Horned Devil. ALONE! The only dmg the devil could do to me was from one spell-like that he menaged to shoot out before he droped. :D
wow... you are the epitome of trolling...

Non complete list of people here that are not fuckwits: bearsarebrown, BeholderSlayer, Dictum Mortum, Ithamar, Kajhera, RelentlessImp, SeekingKnight, Shiki, Solo.
You didn't include yourself. Does that mean you're a fuckwit? ???

Hi Welcome
Then I can assume the answer to the question is "Yes".
[/spoiler]
Making Fighters special - lil project by me.

Catty Nebulart

• Curious George
    • Email
Re: Making Fighter class something special
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 08:56:34 PM »
The fighter needs not to be CAPed.

As such they at least need Freedom of Movement, Mind Blank, a method of flight. They also need some real defenses at higher levels (miss chances or much much higher AC, especially touch AC, some kind of boost to their will save, etc). They also need something to do outside of combat, and a single spell like Divine Power should not make someone as good as the fighter if they also have other strengths.

Then you really should add in something that they can do beyond auto-attack and they have to be better than summoned monsters/animal companions.

The Warblade is a good example of this done right. It still falls behind at later levels but not by as much.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 09:25:20 PM »
I was thinking of something like double fixed numerical values (i.e. Weapon Focus feat chain would give fighters their normal bonus x2 and Improved Trip would give +8 instead of +4 to trip attempts, etc.). Other feats would be taken care of individualy. For example Power Attack would give 1 additional point of damage per point of BaB sacraficed, but not more then his level (so people will not just dip one level for this feature).
Raw numerics, unfortunately, isn't what would fix things.
Well built fighters are rather good at delivering raw numbers(abeit not as exploitable as say the barbarian's easy +Str). Its when you do anything else that you suck and blow at the same time.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 09:34:45 PM »
I'm also asking for suggestions on how to proceed with this little project and some input on what exactly it is that the fighter needs.
I'm going after making the fighter the ultiimate master at fighting, because if it's the only thing he can do, then he better be the best in it.

The first and most important question to have in mind when making a class is this: What are you trying to emulate?

The problem with the PHB classes (barring a few) is that this question was answered vaguely. Think about it; what is the Fighter emulating? The ultimate warrior? In who's eyes?

While fluff is mutable, the theme of a class is the first thing that needs to be filled out. It can be changed later, but that theme defines the class' abilities. Look at the Warblade or Crusader; they have a solid, defined theme that can be easily manipulated to a player's whim, but is rigid enough to provide a fluffy starting point.

I've addressed the issues with the Fighter class numerous times in older threads, so I won't repeat myself on those matters unless specifically asked. But that question is the first thing you need to solve. Don't say "I want to make the Fighter the ultimate warrior", as that term is too vague.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 05:38:59 PM »
I wanted to direct you to the old FighterX thread but... It seems its been removed.  :bigeye
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"