Author Topic: Tier 3 or Worse Game  (Read 4329 times)

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
Tier 3 or Worse Game
« on: March 02, 2011, 05:13:37 PM »
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Re: Tier 3 or Worse Game
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 05:15:29 PM »
You may want to pre-emptively ban Rainbow Servant. Tier 3 classes (Beguiler, Warmage, Dread Necromancer) can enter it at level 2 and get all cleric spells spontaneously by level 11.
Solo on Essentials
I prepared irresistible phantasmal killer today... as a 4th level spell.
"He hit me with a flaming garbage can...and then the god damn hobo next to it!"

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 05:16:50 PM »
You may want to pre-emptively ban Rainbow Servant. Tier 3 classes (Beguiler, Warmage, Dread Necromancer) can enter it at level 2 and get all cleric spells spontaneously by level 11.

I don't think anyone in the party optimizes that hard, but I agree with you and had forgotten.  That will be added.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 05:27:36 PM »
Healing is obviously going to be an issue for this group.  Wands of Lesser Vigor will obviously help, but the Swordsage might want to consider the Shadow Sun Ninja PrC along with either Tomb Tainted Soul or being Necropolitan to handle healing for the party... when you get to that level.

Otherwise, looks like a solid group.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 05:33:44 PM »
Healing is obviously going to be an issue for this group.  Wands of Lesser Vigor will obviously help, but the Swordsage might want to consider the Shadow Sun Ninja PrC along with either Tomb Tainted Soul or being Necropolitan to handle healing for the party... when you get to that level.

Or a pet Zombie Frog.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 05:50:34 PM »

Or a pet Zombie Frog.

I will mention it, and yeah the Psychic Warrior put some of his wealth in to a Wand of Lesser Vigor.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 05:57:42 PM »
A Bard/warblade could be very useful for your fifth party member. He can give all of you extra damage. And he can heal, and he can tank a bit, that's versatility for you.

A factotum could also be useful.

For scouts I usually prefer the swift hunter builds, which I think he should consider.

Apart from that it looks like your group can handle itself. It is a decent Tier 3 group.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 05:58:27 PM »
Since you are already merging skills I would suggest merging UMD and UPD as well as Psi/Spell-craft. I have done this for my games and it is helpful to not force people to spread skill points around uselessly. The worst case scenario for this game is that you PW can now use Psi devices he couldn't before and the PW & Shugenja can tell what is going on for the (magic)-craft oposite of them.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

borg286

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 06:04:20 PM »
This is the best list of houserules I've ever seen. 

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 06:42:00 PM »
-Gaining a level in your favored class will instead give you 1 skill point or 1 hp.

Wow, I loooove this rule.  I'll probably steal that if and when I run a real game.
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 07:16:04 PM »
I agree the scout should become a scout/ranger swift hunter, rangers can use wands of CLW without UMD.

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 11:05:07 PM »
I started just making a Binder as if I were going to play in this game, perhaps to give to a player joining the game.  I'm not done yet, but here's what I have so far.

X
"Human Binder" 3
N Medium Humanoid (Human)

HP: 3d8 +6 con +3 favored class
AC: 17 (10 +2 dex +1 shield +4 armor)

BAB +2
Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +2
STR: 14 DEX: 14 CON: 14 INT: 12 WIS: 08 CHA: 16

Feats:
H: Improved Initiative
1: Improved Binding
Bonus: Power Attack
3: Open
*Binder Bonus 4: Expel Vestige
*Binder Bonus 11: Ignore Special Requirement

Traits:
Aggressive (+2 Initiative, -1 AC)

Skills:
Intimidate +7 (4 ranks + 3 stat )
Knowledge (Religion) +6 (5 ranks + 1 stat)
Knowledge (Arcana) +6 (5 ranks + 1 stat)
Diplomacy +9 (6 ranks + 3 stat)
Bluff +7 (4 ranks + 3 stat)

Languages:
Common
Giant

Gear:

2700-
  Traveler's Outfit  (free) (5lb)
  Non-Standard Adventurer's Kit (21.5gp)
    Backpack (2lb)
    Belt Pouch (0.5lb)
    Bedroll (5lb)
    Flint and steel (-)
    Silken rope (50 ft.) (5lb)
    Sunrods (2) (2lb)
    Trail rations (5 days) (5lb)
    Waterskin (4lb)
  Dagger (2gp) (1lb)
  Morningstar (8gp) (6lb)
  Rapier (20gp) (2lb)
  MW Buckler (165gp) (+1ac, 0ac penalty) (5lbs)
  Chainshirt +1 (1250gp) (+4ac, +4maxdex, -1ac) (25lbs)
  Healing Belt (750gp) (1lb)
  Silent Portal Disk (350gp) (-)
  Liquid Sunlight (3) (60gp) (-)
  Torch Bug Paste (2) (50gp) (-)

-----
 23.5 GP remaining

Total: 68.5 pounds
Carrying Capacity (58 light, 116 medium, 175 heavy)

I might buy a partially charge wand of Seeking Ray, and bind Krasus most of the time, because that would be sweet.  In reality I should probably Paimon it up.  Was trying to think of a way to use Krasus to activate a Wand of Cure Light or a Wand of Lesser Vigor.  There's gotta be some convoluted way a Wizard of my binder level could cast those spells.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 03:53:09 PM by Sobolev »
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 11:27:01 AM »
I might buy a partially charge wand of Seeking Ray, and bind Krasus most of the time, because that would be sweet.  In reality I should probably Paimon it up.  Was trying to think of a way to use Krasus to activate a Wand of Cure Light or a Wand of Lesser Vigor.  There's gotta be some convoluted way a Wizard of my binder level could cast those spells.

A Wizard with Arcane Disciple [Healing] could.
Solo on Essentials

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, 03:34:43 PM »
Not so bad if you play it as a 6/10 class.  Being two spell levels behind is really, really harsh.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 03:46:23 PM »
I would actually suggest a Crusader for healing if you got a 5th player. Would take the pressure off the PW

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2011, 03:54:24 PM »
I would actually suggest a Crusader for healing if you got a 5th player. Would take the pressure off the PW

The Swordsage player actually considered switching to Crusader for just that reason, but decided against it because he really wishes to be a Swordsage.  I'm actually sort of interested to see how this all plays out, not quite sure how badly this party is going to be out of whack with the already broken CR system.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Ikeren

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2011, 05:46:12 PM »
Give everyone healing belts as their first quest reward, because it will just increase their willingness to do things so hard, and it won't screw the UMD user to using all their cash on wands.

Catty Nebulart

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2011, 01:12:57 AM »
For getting UMD as a class skill you may want to look at the spellcaster apprentice feat(page 178 in DMG II) appropriately refluffed for psionics(it already covers arcane and divine casters). Appropriate benefit would probably be 1 extra 1'st level power known since that is what sorcerers and bards get (1 extra spell known).

If you do so point your player to it :)
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2011, 05:46:33 AM »

I can see 5, how 2?

Or I thought I could see 5, thinking about it now I'm not sure where I got that idea.
I don't employ memes. Mass-produced ammunition, even from reputable manufacturers, tends to malfunction on occasion.

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2011, 11:02:27 AM »

I can see 5, how 2?

Or I thought I could see 5, thinking about it now I'm not sure where I got that idea.

Human, 2 flaws, takes the following feats:
Versatile Spellcaster
Heighten Spell
Earth Sense
Earth Spell

Uses two 1st level slots to cast a Heightened 1st level spell to 2nd; as Earth spell adds +1 to that, you can cast third level spells.

All that remains is background fluff, and 4 ranks in a skill you'll have anyways.
Solo on Essentials