Author Topic: What The Fluff? (Or: The Fluffer Project)  (Read 13553 times)

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
What The Fluff? (Or: The Fluffer Project)
« on: February 28, 2011, 11:31:02 PM »
The point of this thread is simple: provide us with the description of a campaign and a character build (or spell, class ability, feat, etc), and we'll (with 'we' meaning the optimizers here on BG...possibly even me) provide some refluffing for you to make it fit in.

DM doesn't like how psionics are 'sci-fi' (despite fitting the archetypal sorcerer mechanics prevalent in modern fantasy 100000x better than the sorcerer does)?

Are you a gnome shadowcraft mage in a world of humans?

Is your anthropomorphic baleen whale ghost binder/anima mage sticking out from your party like a sore thumb?

We'll take care of it here.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 11:32:40 PM by Lycanthromancer »
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
Re: What The Fluff? (Or: The Fluffer Project)
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 11:41:10 PM »

Lad, if you can make an anthropomorphic baleen whale ghost binder/anima mage not stick out in any D&D humanoid campaign, I'll buy you a beer  :D

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 11:45:42 PM »
He won't stick out if he stays invisible...

Also, I don't drink.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 11:47:45 PM »

Lad, if you can make an anthropomorphic baleen whale ghost binder/anima mage not stick out in any D&D humanoid campaign, I'll buy you a beer  :D

Possession is 9/10's of the law. :)
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 11:49:53 PM »
Also, refluff him to where he looks like a half-giant, give him Ghostly Grasp, and then he can touch things (to make it seem as though he's actually corporeal) and *look* like he's there at all times.

Just because he has the stats doesn't mean he has the look.

Also, take 20 on Disguise checks to cover up those vestige marks.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 11:51:45 PM by Lycanthromancer »

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 11:54:47 PM »

Possession is 9/10's of the law. :)

The pun requires it.

............................................________
....................................,.-'"...................``~.,
.............................,.-"..................................."-.,
.........................,/...............................................":,
.....................,?......................................................,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:"........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../
...,,,___.`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"
............/.`~,......`-...................................../
.............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__
,,_..........}.>-._...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,__......`,.................................
...................`=~-,,.,...............................
................................`:,,...........................`..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_..........._,-%.......`
Solo on Essentials
I prepared irresistible phantasmal killer today... as a 4th level spell.
"He hit me with a flaming garbage can...and then the god damn hobo next to it!"

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 12:31:38 AM »
I'd say sticky this, but who reads those anyway?

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Talore

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Viking Skald
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 12:38:59 AM »
Although I'll never play one, what about the Spiked Chain fighter that has Deformity (Tall), Aberrant Blood, and Freaking Tentacle arms?

EDIT: The post below this one just won a fucking internet.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 12:51:36 AM by Talore »
Backseat moderator (voice) -_-

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 12:45:04 AM »

Lad, if you can make an anthropomorphic baleen whale ghost binder/anima mage not stick out in any D&D humanoid campaign, I'll buy you a beer  :D
Assuming ghostly grasp - the rest should be easy to figure out.

1) He's a big beef giant with rock-hard abs.  He's so STRONG that nonmagical shit NEVER hurts him.  In fact, he's so STRONG that half the time magical shit does nothing.  That's how STRONG he is.
2) He beat up a bunch of shit.  In fact, he beat up so much shit that the goddess of babes was like "oh shit, you're so manly, have some immortality".  And he was all like hells yeah, and roundhouse-kicked her in the face.  Turns out she was his mom, so that wasn't a good move, and now he gets put in time out whenever he's in the afterlife, so it takes him a while to sneak out and enjoy his immortality some more
3) He's like the best weapon master ever.  He's so good with a bow that he can shoot twelve arrows at once, simultaneously cutting every head off a hydra.  That's how good he is.
4) He's got the biggest lungs this side of Canada.  He yells so loud that he trancends any known language, and yells in the language of fear.  And it turns out that the only people who understand the language of fear the the poor bastards that hear him yelling.  They tend to wet themselves and run away.
5) Oh, yeah, and a god once screwed with his head, and he went into a crazy frenzy and did some batshit insane bad shit, like killing his kids and stuff.  And now he has PTSD and hears voices in his head, and occasionally ends up jumping random dudes who are just walking by, but don't even think about sneaking up on him since he's nervy as hell and about half as sane as a two-headed blink dog chasing its own tail.
6) So, being the big beefy dude that he is, he punches the voices in his head in the face until they're all like "have mercy" and do magic shit for him.

Suggested pic
[spoiler]

There are two types of stealth.  One, where you're too difficult to notice.  The other, where nobody dares notice you.  He practices the latter.[/spoiler]

« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 12:49:12 AM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 02:04:36 AM »

Lad, if you can make an anthropomorphic baleen whale ghost binder/anima mage not stick out in any D&D humanoid campaign, I'll buy you a beer  :D
Assuming ghostly grasp - the rest should be easy to figure out.

1) He's a big beef giant with rock-hard abs.  He's so STRONG that nonmagical shit NEVER hurts him.  In fact, he's so STRONG that half the time magical shit does nothing.  That's how STRONG he is.
2) He beat up a bunch of shit.  In fact, he beat up so much shit that the goddess of babes was like "oh shit, you're so manly, have some immortality".  And he was all like hells yeah, and roundhouse-kicked her in the face.  Turns out she was his mom, so that wasn't a good move, and now he gets put in time out whenever he's in the afterlife, so it takes him a while to sneak out and enjoy his immortality some more
3) He's like the best weapon master ever.  He's so good with a bow that he can shoot twelve arrows at once, simultaneously cutting every head off a hydra.  That's how good he is.
4) He's got the biggest lungs this side of Canada.  He yells so loud that he trancends any known language, and yells in the language of fear.  And it turns out that the only people who understand the language of fear the the poor bastards that hear him yelling.  They tend to wet themselves and run away.
5) Oh, yeah, and a god once screwed with his head, and he went into a crazy frenzy and did some batshit insane bad shit, like killing his kids and stuff.  And now he has PTSD and hears voices in his head, and occasionally ends up jumping random dudes who are just walking by, but don't even think about sneaking up on him since he's nervy as hell and about half as sane as a two-headed blink dog chasing its own tail.
6) So, being the big beefy dude that he is, he punches the voices in his head in the face until they're all like "have mercy" and do magic shit for him.

Suggested pic
[spoiler]

There are two types of stealth.  One, where you're too difficult to notice.  The other, where nobody dares notice you.  He practices the latter.[/spoiler]

....   :o ..... I owe you a beer. Thats ... epic.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 06:50:33 AM »
Although I'll never play one, what about the Spiked Chain fighter that has Deformity (Tall), Aberrant Blood, and Freaking Tentacle arms?
[spoiler]
Maybe. ???[/spoiler]

I'd say sticky this, but who reads those anyway?
I could do that. Anyone want to second this?
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 06:57:13 AM »
Okay, that was really good.

I want fluff for a Black Ethergaunt in a regular "humanoid-only" party.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 07:25:53 AM »
I want to play a beholder mage in a pretty standard DnD campaign. Monsters aren't liked in the cities.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 10:06:42 AM »

Psychic Phantom of the Opera / Eye of Gruumsh-style thing, face and throat mutilated so they are mute, in order to gain Ultimate Cosmic Power. (For bonus Phantom of the Opera points, you enslave them by playing a musical instrument.) You've gouged out your own eyes in order to see better. The horrifically appearance of your face necessitates wearing a mask, and has traumatizing effects on those who view your visage. Make sure to have Planeshifted to the material plane if you don't actually want to seem like a ghost.

Wait, this like exactly fits one of my characters, aside from the musical instrument and muteness thing. She's a nezumi rather than a human but this could be useful.

But yea, normally you are just a mute, masked genius of reasonable physical ability.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 10:08:56 AM by Kajhera »

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 06:49:31 PM »

Okay, you are the totem spirit-protector of one of the members of the party. You ask the other spirits for aid in this, and spend your time watching over him (or her). Perhaps you were an ancestor, risen to semi-divinity from ancestor-worship, and have taken on the guise of the animal spirits your tribe worships.

Refluff as the knowledge of how to make the most of your weapon's unique properties. It helps if you crafted the weapon yourself, or have a legacy or ancestral weapon of some sort.

As such.

EDIT: The post below this one just won a fucking internet.
Indeed.

Merely an arcane version of an elan; perhaps an experiment on a normal human by the aboleths. Change the appearance to something a bit more standard, and voila.

I want to play a beholder mage in a pretty standard DnD campaign. Monsters aren't liked in the cities.
Enslave a small child. Disguise (as the skill) yourself as a balloon.

Alternately, you're a really fat gnome with an inflation fetish whose experiments have gone horribly wrong.

Alternately, you're a monk on the cusp of enlightenment. No, seriously. You float along as you meditate, and if someone pisses you off you fire Buddha eye-lasers at them.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2011, 07:18:42 PM »
Half Minotaur Zenythri Inflicted Were-Advanced Fleshraker with Righteous Might persisted. Ur Priest, Prestige Paladin, Adapted Ruby Knight Vindicator based on Tiger Claw. He's a Priest of Malar.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2011, 07:24:52 PM »
Scary beastly priest of nature's fury?
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2011, 07:41:59 PM »
What are these characters to be adapted to? Just the human party again? I'm not sure what the fleshraking guy does besides rip things apart, but I think it involves magic of some sort...

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2011, 07:44:45 PM »
I don't know what "we" should play ...

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2011, 07:49:56 PM »
Alternately, you're a monk on the cusp of enlightenment. No, seriously. You float along as you meditate, and if someone pisses you off you fire Buddha eye-lasers at them.

I thank you for awesome ecounter idea. Everybody knows the beholder's powers nowadays, but say that they're facing a monk and then watch them go WTF when it starts floating, shooting buddha lazors and punching people at distance. :smirk