Author Topic: Ignored Users Feature?  (Read 7875 times)

Talore

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Viking Skald
    • Email
Ignored Users Feature?
« on: February 28, 2011, 07:20:18 PM »
EDIT: Please don't bring your personal politics into this thread. I don't care who you hate and who you don't hate, but it's off-topic at best. This is for discussing the feature, not that you think X is an asshat.

On other forum systems, like VBulletin, there is an option where a poster can 'ignore' another poster. The feature causes all posts by the ignored poster to just appear as:
Talore's post has been ignored, because he is on your ignore list. Read Post?
With clicking Read Post revealing the post. I've looked and I haven't seen a similar feature on these boards. I was wondering if it would be possible to implement such a feature? With a low-moderation environment such as BGs, there is a level of tripe that one must put up with; it would be most appreciated if one had the option to block that tripe.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 08:11:28 PM by Talore »
Backseat moderator (voice) -_-

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
Re: Ignored Users Feature?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 07:24:21 PM »
This would be much appriciated if it's possible.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Anarchy_Kanya

• Bisexuality rocks! Anarchy Rules! Anarchy Girl FTW
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 07:28:25 PM »
I'm all for it. There are certain people who piss me off so much that I'm trolling, even when I don't want to. I'm a peaceful and civil person at heart. :(
What is this board doing to me! D:
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 07:31:08 PM by Anarchy_Kanya »
Fly Away With Me!
We Are Angels! Anarchy!
[spoiler]
Once my 12 level VoP exalted Monk beat a Horned Devil. ALONE! The only dmg the devil could do to me was from one spell-like that he menaged to shoot out before he droped. :D
wow... you are the epitome of trolling...

Non complete list of people here that are not fuckwits: bearsarebrown, BeholderSlayer, Dictum Mortum, Ithamar, Kajhera, RelentlessImp, SeekingKnight, Shiki, Solo.
You didn't include yourself. Does that mean you're a fuckwit? ???

Hi Welcome
Then I can assume the answer to the question is "Yes".
[/spoiler]
Making Fighters special - lil project by me.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 07:41:03 PM »
Wouldn't the threads get pretty chaotic?

Let's say we have three poster, you, me, Mr. Y and Dr. X.
You have blocked me; Mr. Y has blocked Dr. X. This is what results:

Mr. Y starts the thread, writing some house rules or something.
Dr. X responds being a total dick.
I tell Dr. X why he is wrong. I don't use quotes, because why would I quote the post directly above me.
Mr. Y agrees with me. But is confused why I seem like I try to convince him of his own idea.

This is what Mr. Y would see:
Mr. Y: So rule A should be B and C should be D.
Me: Off course C shouldn't be A, that would be retarded. And B shouldn't be F, However, it could probably be K.
Mr. Y: I totally agree, K is good. But I never said C should be A!? Where are you coming from?

You'd See:
Dr. X: Omg! You are stupid! C should totally be A and B should be F, you are too stupid to breathe!
Mr. Y: I totally agree, K is good. But I never said C should be A!? Where are you coming from?

Totally nonsense would come from this IMO. Better suck up the swear words, and keep it sane, IMO.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Anarchy_Kanya

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 07:44:56 PM »
Oh, well. Then trolling it is.
Fly Away With Me!
We Are Angels! Anarchy!
[spoiler]
Once my 12 level VoP exalted Monk beat a Horned Devil. ALONE! The only dmg the devil could do to me was from one spell-like that he menaged to shoot out before he droped. :D

Non complete list of people here that are not fuckwits: bearsarebrown, BeholderSlayer, Dictum Mortum, Ithamar, Kajhera, RelentlessImp, SeekingKnight, Shiki, Solo.

Hi Welcome
[/spoiler]

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 07:47:43 PM »

I tell Dr. X why he is wrong. I don't use quotes, because why would I quote the post directly above me.
Mr. Y agrees with me. But is confused why I seem like I try to convince him of his own idea.

Me: Off course C shouldn't be A, that would be retarded. And B shouldn't be F, However, it could probably be K.

You'd See:
Dr. X: Omg! You are stupid! C should totally be A and B should be F, you are too stupid to breathe!

Totally nonsense would come from this IMO. Better suck up the swear words, and keep it sane, IMO.
This is why not quoting is dumb the vast majority of the time, unless it's absofrigginlutely obvious who you're responding to.

But I, too, would like an "Ignore Sunic's Flames" feature.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 07:49:40 PM »
What I'm saying is, that while I've been pissed at certain members of this forum at times. I find it better to ignore them on a case by case basis.

While some of you might see Sunic or Jaron as the devil who always just flames the other side. Both of those have made pretty useful guidelines to min/maxing. Jaron has the Tier system thread. And Sunics optimisation by the numbers thread is another of my bookmarks.

Yes, people can be annoying as hell. But ignoring them totally might be a bad idea.

A word filter for Hi Welcome would be much appreciated though. :lmao

EDIT: I don't like the look of quotes. I usually only use them when my posts are about 5 posts ahead of the post I'm responding to. I just don't like the formatting that comes with quotes. Some people also see being quoted as pretty offensive. For various odd reasons, so as to not piss someone off. I would rather not do it.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 07:52:05 PM by Mixster »

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Anarchy_Kanya

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 07:56:25 PM »
JaronK the devil? Nah. At least he doesn't insult anyone without reason, like some other people.
And how does JaronK flame when he just trying to defend his point and himself? I see his arguments as reasonable. I'm no guru in DnD so I might just not know better, but still.
Eh... Nevermind. I just respect JaronK, because he makes good points, is able to admit that he's wrong and is civil.
Sunic is just the opposite and he got no respect from me. Lycanthromancer put it perfectly some time ago.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 08:06:19 PM by Anarchy_Kanya »
Fly Away With Me!
We Are Angels! Anarchy!
[spoiler]

Hi Welcome
[/spoiler]

Talore

• Viking Skald
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 08:06:38 PM »
It works on other boards. The mods are conservative enough with their jobs that the threads get chaotic anyways. See: every other discussion topic this month -_-

You'd See:

Again, there's a reason for the quote feature. It's common courtesy when posting in forums to quote what you are responding to for the comprehension of other posters; responding to something directly above still merits a quote, for there is often ambiguity in general responses, in a thread about one subject, with multiple posters and conversations going on at once.

While some of you might see Sunic or Jaron as the devil who always just flames the other side. Both of those have made pretty useful guidelines to min/maxing. Jaron has the Tier system thread. And Sunics optimisation by the numbers thread is another of my bookmarks.

EDIT: I don't like the look of quotes. I usually only use them when my posts are about 5 posts ahead of the post I'm responding to. I just don't like the formatting that comes with quotes. Some people also see being quoted as pretty offensive. For various odd reasons, so as to not piss someone off. I would rather not do it.
When posters which one would like to ignore post valuable resources (such as the aforementioned), it is useful to un-block specific posts. That is a feature available to all forums where I've encountered an ignore mechanism. See my first post. All in all, it's up to the individual user who they want to ignore. If they see utilitarian threads by ignored members, they can choose to see their posts or not.

If someone takes offense to being quoted... they have issues. Honestly. It works on every other forum I've been on.

EDIT: Please don't bring your personal politics into this thread. I don't care who you hate and who you don't hate, but it's off-topic at best. This is for discussing the feature, not that you think X is an asshat.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 08:11:38 PM by Talore »

Anarchy_Kanya

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 08:09:42 PM »
If someone takes offense to being quoted... they have issues. Honestly. It works on every other forum I've been on.
Not if it's an out-of-context quote in the signature. :P
Fly Away With Me!
We Are Angels! Anarchy!
[spoiler]

Hi Welcome
[/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 10:31:48 PM »
Many forums that have an "ignore user" option also have a "read post" option.  It works well.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 10:48:10 PM »
I asked Meg about it a while back.  She hasn't responded.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 12:00:11 AM »

It would be a godsend. You can always go back and 'Read' the post if it doesn't make sense.

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 12:38:17 AM »
I believe this was discussed a while back. It would, iirc, be more difficult to implement than they are willing to but in effort for.

And that doesn't bother me in the least. I personally think that ignore features are just an excuse to look past even potential contribution, used mainly by the same people who stick their fingers in their ears and scream "LALALA Can't hear you" in the middle of civil conversations. It is a feature I see most used by those whose posts are the most offensive themselves; simply so that they can feel smug in knowing that they are still the one yelling loudest.

I just don't understand the need for them... If you want to ignore someone, then don't read their posts. Much easier.

Talore

• Viking Skald
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 12:49:31 AM »
I believe this was discussed a while back. It would, iirc, be more difficult to implement than they are willing to but in effort for.

And that doesn't bother me in the least. I personally think that ignore features are just an excuse to look past even potential contribution, used mainly by the same people who stick their fingers in their ears and scream "LALALA Can't hear you" in the middle of civil conversations. It is a feature I see most used by those whose posts are the most offensive themselves; simply so that they can feel smug in knowing that they are still the one yelling loudest.

I just don't understand the need for them... If you want to ignore someone, then don't read their posts. Much easier.
Well, that's just a strawman. I can list a lot of people of the top of my head from various forums that use the ignore feature and are perfectly rational. I'd certainly like to think that I'm rational and unoffensive. There's still the visual element there of seeing the posts, I know it irks me, as much as I do ignore them. It cleans up a thread considerably when there are two people spamming insults back and forth.

I don't want to ignore potential contribution, I want to ignore excessive profanity, certain posters that are just an eyesore to read, ones that I personally find aren't contributing anything unique and just spouting dogma, y'know?

The thing is, this board is moderated with a very light hand. I can respect if they don't want to change that (Even though I think some people should be warned, and eventually banned). But if you aren't going to moderate, there are going to be disrespectful, inflammatory posters that are negatively impacting my enjoyment browsing the forums. If people don't want to be civil and the mods don't do anything about it, then fine. But at least give me the option to moderate for myself. Does that make me a bad person?

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2011, 02:01:46 AM »

I'm weak. I get drawn into attempts to talk to people who don't respect civility or variety. Its better if there was a feature just to ignore them for me.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2011, 04:58:41 AM »
Well, I'm not sure if its a good thing or not, though I never personally needed it.
After a while you recognize the signs of a shitpost and blank it out mentally.

Remember, even bad posters post good things.
Its when everyone decides to focus on the shitpost that a shitpost becomes a shitthread.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2011, 06:24:14 AM »

I'm so sorry if it seemed that I bought my personal opinions into this. I just used the names of two forum goers who often clash heads. I realise that was stupid, but writing the same thing with Mr. X and Mr. Y wouldn't have been the same thing to me.

Also, let me get this right. It would be sort of like every post from somebody on your ignore list is spoilered? Well that could work.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Talore

• Viking Skald
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2011, 01:06:38 PM »
Also, let me get this right. It would be sort of like every post from somebody on your ignore list is spoilered? Well that could work.
Pretty much. The post takes up about a centimetre between not-ignored posts, and gives you the option to expand it like a spoiler.

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2011, 08:26:08 PM »
I can list a lot of people of the top of my head from various forums that use the ignore feature and are perfectly rational. I'd certainly like to think that I'm rational and unoffensive.

Of course, my personal experiences are my own and not necessarily representative of everyone everywhere. That's a large part of why my final point was separated. Even if the first ones do not hold true, I would still believe the last; it is easier for individual posters to be personally responsible for ignoring other users' posts than for the forum hosts to provide an extra tool for doing so.

There's still the visual element there of seeing the posts, I know it irks me, as much as I do ignore them.

Believe me, I understand, wholeheartedly. I feel the same way about churches.

But at least give me the option to moderate for myself.

You have such tools already. ;)

And, as I said initially, that is what I recall it coming down to. They could spend hours making it work properly or just trust people to be personally responsible, eventually banning (and they do) those who cannot resist the temptation of flaming whenever they see a certain person's posts.

I myself have fallen prey to such temptation (Risner  :shakefist), but to be honest, I have never actually felt the need to use the ignore feature even on boards that had one. Hell, even in WoW I really only use it for gold spammers.  :lol