Author Topic: Prioritizing Saves  (Read 4134 times)

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
Re: Prioritizing Saves
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2011, 10:32:55 AM »
Well, thats what the save->concentration check stuff is for.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2011, 11:56:04 AM »
Where is rebuke from?
Spell Compendium, IIRC.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2011, 01:10:09 PM »
Fortitude is useful but Will needs to be prioritized above it.

Death Ward (or late game legacy) renders you completely immune to death effects which is literally covers almost everything fort can do to end your life. Flesh to Stone is one of the very few effects that would say otherwise. Fortunately not even a Solar prepares it on their default spell list. What else? Disease? Lame. Poison? There is immunities to that. Sickened? Nice debuff, intimidate is better, but you get better results from will based CC spells. Heck, Flesh to Stone / Baleful Polymorph are not exactly super great given the touch range.

Will on the other hand, even with Protection from Evil, Mindblank, & Death Ward protecting you from mental domination moral changes and flat out death you are still subject to things like Slow. So add on Freedom of Movement if you will. You've got four spells running here to Fort's one and you still have exceptions like teleport and planesshift(to hell) which are the same as fort's options to deal with. Even giving up one of those can lead to rape, example lose PoE and now you're dominated and killing your teammates. Antimagic Ray and Disjunction will gladly remove some magical effects, Maw of Chaos (yes it is a will save partial) still deals more than unoptimized melee and even Backbiter can murder a strike using material adept at low levels. Those are options fort doesn't have and the list keeps going.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2011, 03:17:51 PM »
Baleful polymorph's range is close, not touch.

Handy Links

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2011, 04:30:33 PM »
I now realize I made the same error that everyone else in this thread (and on this forum) has made (and always makes).

I have fallen victim to the PvP fallacy, once I have taken time to peruse the MM I will have my new evaluation of save priorities.