Author Topic: Explosive Runes - Triggering options  (Read 3973 times)

Cagemarrow

• Bi-Curious George
Explosive Runes - Triggering options
« on: February 28, 2011, 12:57:13 PM »
Explosive runes is one of my favorite utility spells and I want to make sure my reasoning behind usage is right. Hopefully it is but if not I'd like people's opinion on my interpretation of the rules.

The way I read it Explosive Runes can be triggered the following ways
* reading the runes
* failing to beat the caster level to dispel them
* failing to disable to device the runes by 5 or more (DC 28), non trained users auto fail correct?

So would attempting to burn the paper the rune is on count as a failed disable device check? If so we now have cheap fuses for Explosive Rune bombs.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Explosive Runes - Triggering options
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 05:24:07 PM »
Dispel Ward Spell compendium Pg 67. Make an item of it @will with CL1 and be all but guaranteed to have it fail the dispel check.

I have personally gotten a DM to let me combine that with a ring of Telekinesis and treat the roll as always a 1. Thus it became the grenade detonator. (DM preferred me doing this to going CoDzilla and rampaging through the campaign)
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 05:35:53 PM »
Two DMs I know count the clause of "erasing the runes" as if you try and break the surface the rune is on. Like if it's on a flask of alchemist fire (grenade). Or an arrow (bazooka - too small to be a missile).

Cagemarrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 05:59:05 PM »
That's kinda what I thought. . .heh heh heh, my anarchist Factotum Sapper will live!  At least till he drops a glass vial with the rune etched on it at his feet.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 06:02:28 PM »
That's kinda what I thought. . .heh heh heh, my anarchist Factotum Sapper will live!  At least till he drops a glass vial with the rune etched on it at his feet.
then you can become a ghost and be even more bad assed! ;)
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 07:27:41 PM »
then you can become a ghost and be even more bad assed! ;)
Death is no obstacle. Telekinesis is just a more effective delivery method.

Cagemarrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 07:46:38 AM »
Telekinisis or a CHA of 15 and the ghost touch feat from Libre Mortis. . . :)

I've never gotten to play as a ghost, MM template or Ghostwalk one, for some reason my GMs frown on giving me the ability to become incorporeal.