Author Topic: [DnD 3.5; FR] Supporting Jack-of-All-Trades Bard  (Read 5201 times)

Anarchy_Kanya

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Bisexuality rocks! Anarchy Rules! Anarchy Girl FTW
[DnD 3.5; FR] Supporting Jack-of-All-Trades Bard
« on: February 28, 2011, 06:20:16 AM »
I will start a campaign soon and I need a competent NPC to aid the PCs. I got no idea how good optimizers the players will be, they can even be newbs and that's why I need an NPC that will help them. Also, I try to include in the party the important roles (i.e. Meleer, Caster, Skillmonkey) but I don't want to force the players to take classes they don't want to play, so the NPC will be there to fill the neglected roles.
It has to be mainly Bard but I've got no problem with multiclassing.
We will start from 1st level and play up to 20+ (if fate allows :)).
Don't worry about the pb.
All materials are allowed (excluded UA) as well as Retraining.
Please, no cheese stuff.
The Forgotten Realms part isn't that important. Just don't use things setting specific.
Thanks in advance.
P.S. Ask if there is something I missed or is unclear.
P.S.2. Just to be clear - This isn't a DMPC. :)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 06:22:08 AM by Anarchy_Kanya »
Fly Away With Me!
We Are Angels! Anarchy!
[spoiler]
Once my 12 level VoP exalted Monk beat a Horned Devil. ALONE! The only dmg the devil could do to me was from one spell-like that he menaged to shoot out before he droped. :D
wow... you are the epitome of trolling...

Non complete list of people here that are not fuckwits: bearsarebrown, BeholderSlayer, Dictum Mortum, Ithamar, Kajhera, RelentlessImp, SeekingKnight, Shiki, Solo.
You didn't include yourself. Does that mean you're a fuckwit? ???

Hi Welcome
Then I can assume the answer to the question is "Yes".
[/spoiler]
Making Fighters special - lil project by me.

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
Re: [DnD 3.5; FR] Supporting Jack-of-All-Trades Bard
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 07:12:17 AM »
So......

Any books, no cheese, any role, playable 20 lvs, has to be part bard.

Wanna vague that up a bit for us? Is this serious, sarcasm, or trolling?

gorfnad

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 07:17:02 AM »
Some builds that may help:
Bard 6/ Crusader or Warblade 2/ Jade Phoenix Mage 2/ Sublime Chord 2/ Jade Phoenix Mage 8 - Melee Gish Bard
Bard 8/ Paladin 2/ Sublime Chord 2/ Abjurant Champion 5/ Sacred Exorcist 3 - Melee Gish Bard
Bard 8/ Arcane Archer 2/ Sublime Chord 2/ Abjurant Champion 5/ Sacred Exorcist or Ruathar 3 - Ranged Gish Bard
Bard 6/ Lyric Thaumaturge 2/ Virtuoso 2/ Sublime Chord 2/ Virtuoso 8 - Caster Bard

« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 07:19:13 AM by gorfnad »

Anarchy_Kanya

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 07:27:06 AM »
I want that this NPC is able to do everything decently, so he can fill the gaps and support the PCs without stealing the show. It doesn't need to be uber in everything.

And I don't know how this is supposed to be trolling, when I'm asking for help. Maybe you are trolling, hm?

Some builds that may help:
Bard 6/ Crusader or Warblade 2/ Jade Phoenix Mage 2/ Sublime Chord 2/ Jade Phoenix Mage 8 - Melee Gish Bard
Bard 8/ Paladin 2/ Sublime Chord 2/ Abjurant Champion 5/ Sacred Exorcist 3 - Melee Gish Bard
Bard 8/ Arcane Archer 2/ Sublime Chord 2/ Abjurant Champion 5/ Sacred Exorcist or Ruathar 3 - Ranged Gish Bard
Bard 6/ Lyric Thaumaturge 2/ Virtuoso 2/ Sublime Chord 2/ Virtuoso 8 - Caster Bard
Interesting but I want the NPC only support the PCs. In that case the last build could work but it would be easier to just take Wizard or Sorc. :/
Note the title of this thread - "Supporting Jack-of-All-Trades". Fighting will be taken care of by the PCs.
Fly Away With Me!
We Are Angels! Anarchy!
[spoiler]
Once my 12 level VoP exalted Monk beat a Horned Devil. ALONE! The only dmg the devil could do to me was from one spell-like that he menaged to shoot out before he droped. :D

Non complete list of people here that are not fuckwits: bearsarebrown, BeholderSlayer, Dictum Mortum, Ithamar, Kajhera, RelentlessImp, SeekingKnight, Shiki, Solo.

Hi Welcome
[/spoiler]

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 07:29:49 AM »

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Anarchy_Kanya

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 07:43:40 AM »
You're welcome.
No, thanks. I'll wait for some other suggestions and try to build something by myself from all that you guys provide. Any help is appreciated.
Fly Away With Me!
We Are Angels! Anarchy!
[spoiler]

Hi Welcome
[/spoiler]

Ivory Knight

• Curious George
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 08:46:53 AM »
Some random thoughts:
- Bardic Knack(PHB II) is better than Bardic Knowledge(you can get your Knowledge back from Cloistered Cleric 1, or various PrC's)
- War Weaver might be a worthwhile PrC, pretty much all it does is getting more Buffs for less Spellslots.
- Somehow get more Spells known, than a Bard of your level. I'd use Feats/PrC to get a Spellbook and/or access to a Spellpool.
- Be a Draconic Creature with availible Feats, and/or dip Marshal to get a 24/7 Buffaura.
- Crusader and Paladin are awesome for a multiclassing Bard, provided you take some levelstacking Feats(IIRC found in Complete Adventurer, Champions of Valor and Tome of Battle).
- Consider Bard/Spellthief with Master Spellthief from Complete Scoundrel(usefulness depends on how you interpret the wording of the feat)
- For a Buffer, getting Persistant Spell is awesome, the Bard can do it with Spelldancer(Magic of Faerun) or Metamagic Song.

A Bard 4/Binder (1 + Improved Binding Feat)/Anima Mage 10 would make a truly versatile Charakter, Spells get better with the addition of Sublime Chord & War Weaver.
- Without early entry cheese(), it is not possible to fit Anima Mage 10 and War Weaver 5 on a Bard.
- Just replace Binder/Anima Mage with Incantatrix +any 1 level dip you like, if Pact Magic isn't your cup of tea.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 09:04:52 AM »
I'd actually suggest something like Bard 9 / Warblade 1 / Sublime Chord 2 / XXX 8.

Inspire Greatness + Song of the Heart + Words of Creation + Item from MIC I forgot that gives 50 Temp. HP with IG = 6d10+50 or 100 Temp. HP, to several allies at once, really often.

Another nice trick is Healing Hymn + Token of Healing (RoD) for a lot of mass healing, cheap and fast.

Not to mention all the above, Inspire Courage Optimization and all...
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.