Author Topic: Inventing the Kybercycle  (Read 2275 times)

NecroticBanana

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Inventing the Kybercycle
« on: February 28, 2011, 05:45:48 AM »
So, my warforged knight, is in the market for a worthy mount, but no simple horse will do, magebred is nice but still, i want something more. So! my buddy, who is playing an artificer, Has decided to ply his trade for me. So were brainstorming over this item. Something between a Skyship and the WoW motorcycle. It will consist of a fire elemental bound as you would normally do for the skyships but on a chromed-out stallion themed Kybercycle!! The elemental ring will be positioned somewhere behind the rider and act as a kind of afterburner. im excited about this, any body have suggestions on how to do this effectively?
You magnificent Bastard

Jesus saves...Allah protects...and Cthulhu thinks you'd make a great sandwich

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

No man should outlive his fictitious wizard -Homer Simpson

Any legal defense starting by: ''I was drunk'' is bound to fail.-Alastar

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Re: Inventing the Kybercycle
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 06:35:42 AM »
Effigy Valenar horse?

Or refluff as a suit of power armour.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 09:20:57 AM »
Phantom Steed?
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 10:30:00 AM »
"You'll still be living in caves."
"Hell I don't mind that."
[spoiler][/spoiler]
befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

OldNorse

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 05:32:42 PM »
Let's hope my First Post can be somehow useful.

SpellCycle

Edit :
Alternatively, instead of keeping the MotorCycle Frame, change it for some Animal Frame, while keeping the Wheel.
The Warforged would be sitting on what appear to be the Body of a Horse, but the Leg of the Horse are only the Support for the Wheel.

Bonus Point if you can make it "Alive" even when you're not Riding. Because having your Horse-SpellCycle intimidating the other Horse that are Drinking Water Outside of the Saloon is just Awesome.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 05:35:51 PM by OldNorse »

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 08:24:52 PM »
Let's hope my First Post can be somehow useful.

SpellCycle

Edit :
Alternatively, instead of keeping the MotorCycle Frame, change it for some Animal Frame, while keeping the Wheel.
The Warforged would be sitting on what appear to be the Body of a Horse, but the Leg of the Horse are only the Support for the Wheel.

Bonus Point if you can make it "Alive" even when you're not Riding. Because having your Horse-SpellCycle intimidating the other Horse that are Drinking Water Outside of the Saloon is just Awesome.

I want to cry every time someone links to homebrew on that Wiki.

Please don't make Setchan cry...

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 08:46:55 PM »

Agreed. I should know; there are two pieces of shit on that website that are my doing. (In all fairness, they were created back in 2006 when I had no practical experience with the game and had never heard of an Incantatrix.)

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 08:58:05 PM »

Agreed. I should know; there are two pieces of shit on that website that are my doing. (In all fairness, they were created back in 2006 when I had no practical experience with the game and had never heard of an Incantatrix.)
Embarassing newbie tales? Do tell, do tell. I'm all ears.

As for the topic itself, seconding Phantom Steed - maybe make it a permanent item. Alternatively, you could look at the Firesled (Secrets of Xen'drik 147) for a base item. It's... pretty much what it sounds like. A sled using a fire elemental to zoom around at 120 ft. per round. Through the air. It also has a mounted gatling gun (Scorching Ray at will).
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 09:21:16 PM »
Embarassing newbie tales? Do tell, do tell. I'm all ears.
A prestige class focused on metamagic (which isn't a great theme in the first place, never mind how unnecessarily convoluted the wording was) and a wizard spell which was supposed to serve as an insurance policy (it basically let you activate it and swap back and forth between a half-dozen utility spells--Blur, Feather Fall, Protection from Arrows, etcetera--but was 7th level and had a 20,000gp focus). So the incantatrix and Contingency/Craft Contingent Spell made it all utterly worthless. A bit of detective work will dredge them up, if you're in need of some blackmail material.

Fortunately, the spell was never touched again and after a while some other guy made so many changes to the prestige class that it was no longer recognizable. They actually made it worse, which was impressive--one of the changes was the removal of an epic progression because "we don't want to give the rules lawyers any more ammo" and the addition of key ability scores for class skills because "these are important when deciding what prestige classes to take." It got a laugh out of me, at least.

It does make me wonder what I'd do if I rewrote both of them now, though. Probably make the spell into a wizard-specific answer for Arcane Fusion (not that the wizard needs any more love) and scrap the concept for the prestige class entirely--metamagic has been done to death and there wasn't a clear focus to the class beyond that. Might salvage scraps of the mechanics, but the new version would likely bear no resemblance to the old.

Anyway, back on topic: The Firesled sounds like a better option. It's expensive, but it doesn't take ten minutes to pull out of your pack. You're already getting it at a discount by having it crafted; see if you can slash the price further by cutting the Fireball/Scorching Ray off if that's a bit out of reach.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 11:14:09 PM »
I want a KaibaCycle: "Screw the mounted combat rules; I've got money. And now the DM has money."
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

borsniel

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 05:33:31 AM »
if your allowed to dip into the arms and equipment guide you might want to start off with a self propelled vehicle.

"by animating the wheels, steering mechanism, and other moving parts on a vehicle, its possible to build a vehicle that doesn't require dray creatures. any land vehicle of large size or smaller can become become self propelled, gaining a speed of 60ft. it still moves under the direction of the driver and retains its usual maneuverability. unlike a normal casting of animate object, spell the vehicle does not become a construct and does not gain the ability to fight on its own. "

so i recommend working with your DM and starting with this, its about the same as a horse and if it takes damage its easy to repair, nor will it try to kill you. also if you want some cool effects things like Eldritch exhaust or speed wheels outta the same book.