Author Topic: Anime & Manga 3  (Read 164165 times)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Re: Anime & Manga 3
« Reply #620 on: October 02, 2011, 09:22:23 PM »
But F/SN spoils F/Z. You just can't win.
F/SN tells you in very broad detail the results of F/Z (only two Masters/Servants are described at all), with outright misleading information and events which seem inexplicable out of context; reading them in the order they were written makes you curious about Zero's cast, while starting with the prequel just throws Shirou at you out of nowhere. (urgh :p) F/Z gives far more spoilers on things all over F/SN's plot. Plus there's power creep, so reading it first would make F/SN seem a little underwhelming.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 09:29:20 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

kamikasei

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #621 on: October 02, 2011, 09:26:51 PM »
You have read all three routes of Fate/stay night though, right? *draws shotgun*

The F/SN spoilers start about a minute in and don't stop.
I have, yes. Didn't stop me recognizing that the UBW didn't make sense on its own merits.
Eh, it's a prequel. You know in outline how it's going to end, but it was written with that assumption in mind. I don't think "spoil" is the word to use.
Bardiche/Raising Heart OTP.
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #623 on: October 03, 2011, 09:51:51 AM »
Negima
[spoiler]Haha, now THATS trolling with style[/spoiler]
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #624 on: October 03, 2011, 10:10:40 AM »
Prisma Ilya 2wei 17
[spoiler]Prana running out. Refill please.[/spoiler]
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #625 on: October 03, 2011, 10:24:03 AM »
"You'll still be living in caves."
"Hell I don't mind that."
[spoiler][/spoiler]
befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #626 on: October 03, 2011, 11:24:55 AM »
Negima
[spoiler]Fate: I know kung fu karaoke.
Negi: Show me.

Does Akamatsu just want to make Akira Ishida sing that song? :p[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 02:58:57 PM by Prime32 »
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #627 on: October 03, 2011, 01:58:19 PM »
Eh, it's a prequel. You know in outline how it's going to end, but it was written with that assumption in mind. I don't think "spoil" is the word to use.
That was the joke, yes.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #628 on: October 03, 2011, 02:24:42 PM »

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #629 on: October 03, 2011, 02:35:16 PM »
[spoiler]Presumably he was on aging pills with Negi and Kotarou, rather than using a more permanent magic disguise. As for the meeting, the "government official" in question was possibly Negi himself, in which case they'd have been meeting in adult form to ensure privacy - people around Mahora and probably the city know their young forms, after all.[/spoiler]
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #630 on: October 03, 2011, 03:09:21 PM »

[spoiler]
Fanservice for the author's wife females. Don't ask why girls walk around with cat ears and 99% of magic vaporizes their clothes whitout doing any more harm. Don't ask why the boys suddenly turn into bishonen teenagers. :p
[/spoiler]

Prisma Ilya 2wei 17

[spoiler]
One can only wonder why Rin never mentioned they could refill Saber that way back on Fate/Stay night.
[/spoiler]

Fate/Stay zero
[spoiler]
Not enough action or cooking or any other kind of house chores. I feel somewhat betrayed.

Chibi Rin is adorable tough.

[/spoiler]

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #631 on: October 03, 2011, 06:48:28 PM »
[spoiler]Lol at the Biblioprincesses trashtalking each other. "Do you still wet the bed?"

Those zombies were awfully patient, apparently just standing in one spot while all the drama was going on.

I wanna know what exactly that book of Epic Turning was. Did Madoka Dantalian Unnamed Library Girl write it? Did Huey write it?

The reading scene:
  • Children playing on a beach at night, a biplane flies past.
  • An old woman and two children sitting by the fire - the moon is visible, so they're possibly the same children.
  • Dalian and an old man in what appears to be her book room; the latter is presumably Wesley Disward. Closeup of his hands on his cane - are those patterns similar to Dalian's lock or am I overthinking things?
  • Dalian at a weird angle - I think she's leaving a wreath at a gravestone.
  • Dalian on a battlefield with someone who appears to be friggin' Joan of Arc. Previous keykeeper?
  • Dalian staring, cutting to Dalian looking down (in both senses of the word).
  • Dantalian and another pink-haired girl prancing around in togas, with Greco-Roman architecture in the background. Closeup on Dantalian's face.
  • Dantalian trying to stop the minotaur from passing, surrounded by flames. Possibly related to the library's warden
  • Dantalian opens a box, and shadows come out. Outside, pink light blasts into the sky.
  • (Dantalian/Huey dialogue)
  • A woman in white with silver hair and blue eyes looking out on a futuristic city with a strange expression. Flam?
[/spoiler]
Library Loli 12
[spoiler]
My bet's on that being Huey's own phantom book, somehow pulled from the future because it's his own work, kinda how Rin in Fate/Stay night could pull a servant from the future because she was directly connected to Archer.

One detail you seem to have missed it's that the woman looking at the futuristic city then turns and smiles. So my bet's on that being Dantalian all grown up after having been released from library duty, and she's smiling at Huey.

[/spoiler]

Oh, and given that DnS is pretty episodic, the block of stories it adapted wasn't continuous. Presumably some will be adapted in season 2, but it also makes that novel translation more interesting...

Meanwhile, there's a manga version to read! Now with 100% more tsundere!

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #632 on: October 04, 2011, 01:02:17 AM »
F/SN tells you in very broad detail the results of F/Z (only two Masters/Servants are described at all), with outright misleading information and events which seem inexplicable out of context; reading them in the order they were written makes you curious about Zero's cast, while starting with the prequel just throws Shirou at you out of nowhere. (urgh :p) F/Z gives far more spoilers on things all over F/SN's plot. Plus there's power creep, so reading it first would make F/SN seem a little underwhelming.

Also, F/Z has several things that are just plain inconsistencies with FSN, so you really aren't going to get entirely spoiled.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #633 on: October 04, 2011, 01:33:20 AM »
Also, F/Z has several things that are just plain inconsistencies with FSN, so you really aren't going to get entirely spoiled.

That's to be expected of any prequel/sequel. Or even the primary work itself.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #634 on: October 04, 2011, 02:26:46 AM »
Prisma Ilya 2wei 17

[spoiler]
One can only wonder why Rin never mentioned they could refill Saber that way back on Fate/Stay night.
[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Shirou is probably too terrible at magic :P
Though given Ilya's reaction I'm guessing the 'more efficient' transfer methods still work even in the more comedic universe of Prisma Ilya[/spoiler]
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #635 on: October 04, 2011, 04:29:09 AM »

Just out of the top of my head:
[spoiler]
Archer at full strenght gets made into mincemeat by berseker on route 1. When berseker gets pumped out to eleven in route 3 by corrupted grail power, he's hardly a speed bump against brain-damaged Shirou.

First route the priest is some kind of dark magician that ends up defeated in melee. Last route priest is some crazy knive-fighter that can take on servants head on in martial combat.

Why doesn't Shirou just uses Rule Breaker to rescue corrupted Saber in route 3?

Saber, King of knights, master swordswoman with supernatural battle instincts, get defeated in a pure blade fight by caster 2 out of 3 times. Caster that can't even defend against basic martial arts skills.

Gilgamesh walks around with his pimped armor in route 1 that can block heavy magic and even direct blows from non-ultimate excalibur. It is never used again in the other routes despite suposedly being instant-summon.

[/spoiler]

Prisma Ilya 2wei 17

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Shirou is probably too terrible at magic :P
Though given Ilya's reaction I'm guessing the 'more efficient' transfer methods still work even in the more comedic universe of Prisma Ilya[/spoiler]

[spoiler]
Sure, but I would expect lesbian-Rin to don't pass on the oportunity to kiss Saber on the heat of battle with the excuse of recharging her prana. :p
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #636 on: October 04, 2011, 10:03:56 AM »

Just out of the top of my head:
[spoiler]
Archer at full strenght gets made into mincemeat by berseker on route 1. When berseker gets pumped out to eleven in route 3 by corrupted grail power, he's hardly a speed bump against brain-damaged Shirou.

First route the priest is some kind of dark magician that ends up defeated in melee. Last route priest is some crazy knive-fighter that can take on servants head on in martial combat.

Why doesn't Shirou just uses Rule Breaker to rescue corrupted Saber in route 3?

Saber, King of knights, master swordswoman with supernatural battle instincts, get defeated in a pure blade fight by caster 2 out of 3 times. Caster that can't even defend against basic martial arts skills.

Gilgamesh walks around with his pimped armor in route 1 that can block heavy magic and even direct blows from non-ultimate excalibur. It is never used again in the other routes despite suposedly being instant-summon.

[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Archer wasn't at full strength in route 1; Unlimited Blade Works is the only route where Saber doesn't practically cut him in half at the start of the story. It's unclear if Dark Berserker was actually stronger than the original (for one thing he was blind), plus Shirou was seriously overclocking himself, shouting "no, [Archer,] you need to keep up with me!".

People keep bringing up "Gilgamesh's armor blocks anything." I have never seen a line in-game or in supplemental materials which suggests this. That said, it was only in Fate that he thought he was fighting a worthy opponent/wanted to look nice for his waifu. You dare suggest that the King expend even the slightest effort to display his magnificent armor to mongrels?

As for Kirei, uh... he was taken by surprise in Fate, and fighting the weakest Servant in HF? Yeah, still seems weird.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 10:06:36 AM by Prime32 »
My work

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #637 on: October 04, 2011, 12:38:59 PM »
Stats page for black berserker looks the same.

What's really inconsistent is that all traced weapons get ranked down.  Berserker needs a weapon A rank or higher to stab.  Archer can get by it by a broken phantasm rankup. 

Shirou, on the other hand, has no reason for a degraded caliburn to magically regain a rank.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #638 on: October 04, 2011, 01:14:05 PM »
[spoiler]
Archer doesn't get cut up almost in half in route 2 because it's the only route where Shirou manages to tell Saber to stop on time. That's actually what activates the whole 2nd route!

Gilgamesh's imba armor is fully suported by the game, since he can just stand there and let Saber hit him whitout dodging and he doesn't take any damage (at least for a time, it's sugested Saber would eventually break trough). Illya (aka Holy Grail conduit) blasts him directly and it just bounces off from the armor.

Plus hey, what's the use of being king if you don't/can't show off your pimped gold armor to mongrels? :P

Also TML reminds me of another great incosistency, that route 1 Shirou can just chop off Berseker's arm with Calliburn when Excalibur wielded by Saber didn't even scratch his skin.
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #639 on: October 04, 2011, 01:32:01 PM »
^^
Its how much prana you jammed into the sword I guess.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]