Author Topic: Anime & Manga 3  (Read 164211 times)

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
Re: Anime & Manga 3
« Reply #300 on: June 18, 2011, 06:01:31 PM »
Oriko Magica

Oh my god.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #301 on: June 18, 2011, 07:21:32 PM »
Just a quick question guys: In Madoka, why didn't they think to use QB as a shield? Or is his nigh-invulnerability fanon (not sure since I haven't watched it)?

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #302 on: June 18, 2011, 07:26:57 PM »
Just a quick question guys: In Madoka, why didn't they think to use QB as a shield? Or is his nigh-invulnerability fanon (not sure since I haven't watched it)?
He's just as squishy as any vaguely canine Magical Girl pet (any physical attack tears through him like wet tissue), the jokes about nigh-invulnerability stem from a) his having an indefinite amount of bodies and b) him being a little asshole, so he needs to be resilient in fanart to have the maximum possible pain inflicted on him.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #303 on: June 18, 2011, 07:38:53 PM »
He's just as squishy as any vaguely canine Magical Girl pet (any physical attack tears through him like wet tissue), the jokes about nigh-invulnerability stem from a) his having an indefinite amount of bodies and b) him being a little asshole, so he needs to be resilient in fanart to have the maximum possible pain inflicted on him.

So he's just a Quori inhabiting an Inspired (to put it in DnD terms)?

Ok, so the shield idea would fall flat.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #304 on: June 18, 2011, 08:24:39 PM »

Not quite, its strongly implied the QBs are a hivemind species, which is also why they cannot individually experience emotion, nor consider what happens to an individual significant.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #305 on: June 18, 2011, 08:39:11 PM »

Not quite, its strongly implied the QBs are a hivemind species, which is also why they cannot individually experience emotion, nor consider what happens to an individual significant.

I don't see them as an hivemind species since QB seems to have a pretty good sense of self ("I fulfilled my quota here"). I see it more like a member of an highly advanced species that somehow lost emotions along the way. He cares about happens to individuals, it's just that he considers humans little more than "cattle". He breeds puella magics brimming with energy and then harvests them for profit. Like QB points out, humans don't cry either when they kill their own cattle for feeding. QB's civilization needs emotion energy to survive, and the Earth is the perfect harvesting place.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #306 on: June 18, 2011, 08:41:40 PM »
The disregard and simple replacement of lost individuals hint that each QB 'individual' is basically a hive of them. Just not the whole race as a single hivemind.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #307 on: June 18, 2011, 08:53:10 PM »
The disregard and simple replacement of lost individuals hint that each QB 'individual' is basically a hive of them. Just not the whole race as a single hivemind.

Or maybe he simply isn't foolish enough to interact directly with angry girls with super powers, and the true QB is in some secret place controling a bunch of puppets on Earth.

This is, don't you think it would be too much of a coincidence that the alien race just happens to look like cute adorable dog-thingies that little girls will fawn all over? With an included organ for harvesting grief seeds? They're clearly some advanced mass-produced cyborg designed specifically for that job and is being controled by somebody else.

If he was an hivemind, we would've surely seen more than one QB acting at the same time, but no, it's simply that when one gets wasted, the controler activates other puppet, pretty much how in a game when your avatar is destroyed you can bring a new one right away.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #308 on: June 18, 2011, 09:00:10 PM »
That makes sense as well.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #309 on: June 18, 2011, 09:34:32 PM »

Or maybe he simply isn't foolish enough to interact directly with angry girls with super powers, and the true QB is in some secret place controling a bunch of puppets on Earth.

This is, don't you think it would be too much of a coincidence that the alien race just happens to look like cute adorable dog-thingies that little girls will fawn all over? With an included organ for harvesting grief seeds? They're clearly some advanced mass-produced cyborg designed specifically for that job and is being controled by somebody else.

If he was an hivemind, we would've surely seen more than one QB acting at the same time, but no, it's simply that when one gets wasted, the controler activates other puppet, pretty much how in a game when your avatar is destroyed you can bring a new one right away.
This. Especially given how Puella Magi work.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #310 on: June 18, 2011, 09:47:18 PM »
Actually, considering his reaction to a world destroying Kremhild Gretchen, QB pretty much HAS to be based off planet.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #311 on: June 18, 2011, 09:56:07 PM »
Also, Oriko seems to indicate that magical girls CAN use traditional Witch powers of forming a Barrier and Familiars. Its just that they won't survive that level of magical stress for long.
[spoiler]Hell, the time slowing ability seems to be just a minature Barrier[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 09:58:48 PM by veekie »
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #312 on: June 20, 2011, 12:57:35 PM »
Prisma Ilya 2wei 16
[spoiler]Sparks Liner High.
Include - Zero Assassin.
Hollow Atraxia  Plot Begins.[/spoiler]
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #313 on: June 20, 2011, 06:03:47 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ClariS
Huh. Assumed they were better established.
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #314 on: June 21, 2011, 08:56:49 AM »
Oriko Magica 6
[spoiler]Mami: (;_; )"We'll turn into witches someday you know!"
Yuma: "Someday isn't today. Everyone dies some day. Kyouko, Mami-neechan, will you really die today?"

Mami: "We'll take it out on Kyuubey."

Kyuubey: *justasplanned.jpg* "I found her~ I found Kaname Madoka!"[/spoiler]
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 09:50:11 AM by Prime32 »
My work

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #316 on: June 21, 2011, 11:09:17 AM »
Oriko Magica 6
Yuma: "Someday isn't today. Everyone dies some day. Kyouko, Mami-neechan, will you really die today?"

[spoiler]
I would say more of a Xanatos Gambit. If Homura doesn't step in, Madoka is found by Kyuubey. If Homura steps in to watch over Madoka, she ends up atracting unwanted atention from Kyuubey to Madoka anyway. If Homura does her best to stay low while watching over Madoka, she ends up atracting the atention of some other crazed magic girl and Kyuubey finds Madoka anyway.

Sayaka: Tremble before my Candy Cane secret fencing style!

[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #317 on: June 21, 2011, 11:36:26 AM »
Oriko Magica 6

[spoiler]
I would say more of a Xanatos Gambit. If Homura doesn't step in, Madoka is found by Kyuubey. If Homura steps in to watch over Madoka, she ends up atracting unwanted atention from Kyuubey to Madoka anyway. If Homura does her best to stay low while watching over Madoka, she ends up atracting the atention of some other crazed magic girl and Kyuubey finds Madoka anyway.

Sayaka: Tremble before my Candy Cane secret fencing style!

[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Yeah, I think she just grabbed a candy cane from the barrier and started laying into familiars. Born to be an hero.

What it LOOKS like though, is that QB set up the whole shebang  so that he could access Madoka, and hit a few targets of opportunity along the way. Yuma just happened to be there.
Homu's options were:
Trap Madoka right there - which keeps her out of trouble, and QB probably can't find her in a witch's Barrier that quickly. Except the witch is a nasty surprise, with time manipulation magic AND oracle Oriko.
Take Madoka along - when the fight goes badly QB will show up to contract her.
Get Madoka out of the barrier first - The whole school dies, along with the other girls. QB wins, considering how much feeding those familiars are getting, there'd be a witch population explosion right after.

The wildcard here is Yuma, with her healing powers(I guess the wish alone isn't enough, you need to count personality as well) and her resilient spirit. Probably because she had a harsher life, shes less prone to breaking when stressed like Mami and Sayaka would have.

Also, looks like the witch powers are just magical girl powers taken to the extreme. No limits on power magnitude(the barrier is ultimately the same thing that lets them summon weapons and create bindings), but insane.[/spoiler]
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #318 on: June 21, 2011, 11:57:31 AM »

[spoiler]Yeah, I think she just grabbed a candy cane from the barrier and started laying into familiars. Born to be an hero.

What it LOOKS like though, is that QB set up the whole shebang  so that he could access Madoka, and hit a few targets of opportunity along the way. Yuma just happened to be there.
Homu's options were:
Trap Madoka right there - which keeps her out of trouble, and QB probably can't find her in a witch's Barrier that quickly. Except the witch is a nasty surprise, with time manipulation magic AND oracle Oriko.
Take Madoka along - when the fight goes badly QB will show up to contract her.
Get Madoka out of the barrier first - The whole school dies, along with the other girls. QB wins, considering how much feeding those familiars are getting, there'd be a witch population explosion right after.

The wildcard here is Yuma, with her healing powers(I guess the wish alone isn't enough, you need to count personality as well) and her resilient spirit. Probably because she had a harsher life, shes less prone to breaking when stressed like Mami and Sayaka would have.

Also, looks like the witch powers are just magical girl powers taken to the extreme. No limits on power magnitude(the barrier is ultimately the same thing that lets them summon weapons and create bindings), but insane.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]
You call that Mami breaking? Nah, that's Mami taking it easy and just catching her breath.

THIS is Mami snaping in case you forgot:
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Now you say QB set all of this up, but when did he actually pulled any strings? All I saw was a bunch of magic girls starting a small war that ended up atracting QB's atention. Whoever wins, QB wins as despair and emotion energy are ripe to harvest.

Yuma did help them there, but on the other hand she's also guilty for making Kyoko and Mami get soft on the first place. So her mom abused her? Well Kyoko's father was a religious fanatic that burned down their family. Mami had to spend her wish to literally save her skin from a slow painful bleeding death. They certainly score higher on the harsh life department if you ask me.

I'll agree that witch is some sort of "limit break" on the magic girl's part, but only because we had seen a magic girl producing crazy barriers long before.

I'm talking of course of Homura's house in the anime with floating parts and screens that reflect her toughts instantly. That was clearly running on magic.

Another key part is their soul breaking out from the jewel and developing a new twisted body.
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #319 on: June 21, 2011, 12:56:16 PM »
[spoiler]Yeah, well, she took it at a younger age than them, and remember, at least Kyouko had a happy childhood before her father went nuts and Higurashi'ed the whole family.
She was traumatized, but not broken by the revelation, since she had already made accommodations with her mode of living. The shock COULD kill her in combat though.

Mami snaps the other way. She thinks of herself as a hero of justice. Learning that she will ultimately be the same thing she hunts is critical damage. Shes also known to be unstable to start with, allowing herself to be completely distracted by Madoka's decision to join her and get Charlotte'd.

Yuma just let them focus on the present really. And also having a healer helps. Support casters are important, and she does seem pretty good at AoEs and the like.

The barrier thing, yeah, Homura's field is one, and on a smaller scale, all the sword/gun/etc conjurations are basically the same magic(see UBW). The body thing is what Sayaka has been using since Kyubey told her her body was basically a remotely operated drone, which, in turn is just an extension of the same magic to transform into their battle form. It stands to reason a simple extension would be to create a new, more combat capable drone body...except all these 'witch-grade' magic push you closer to a Limit Break. You can't handle the mental stress for very long if you use them, at least without a shitton of experience. Which Homura has of course.
[/spoiler]
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]