Author Topic: Anime & Manga 3  (Read 164160 times)

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
Re: Anime & Manga 3
« Reply #141 on: April 21, 2011, 09:13:18 PM »
Madoka

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 09:14:57 PM by Nick »
"You'll still be living in caves."
"Hell I don't mind that."
[spoiler][/spoiler]
befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #142 on: April 22, 2011, 01:17:56 AM »
Wakfu is pretty decent.  It starts off episodic and grows the beard around episode 15 or so.

It has some pretty decent fight scenes (this one only has mild spoilers, provided you don't expand the youtube comments), and surprising decent scriptwriting.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #143 on: April 22, 2011, 01:33:45 AM »
Meguca

[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]
befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #144 on: April 22, 2011, 01:48:41 AM »
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #145 on: April 22, 2011, 07:27:38 AM »
Madoka
Spoiler Warning
[spoiler]

Kaname Madoka
Overdeity

Symbol: A Soulgem
Home Plane: Earth
Alignment: Neutral Good
Portfolio: Hope, Friendship, Love, Past, Present and Future, Magic
Worshippers: Mahou Shoujo
Cleric Alignments: LG, NG, CG
Domains: Courage, Creation, Family, Fate, Liberation, Pact, Renewal, Time
Favored Weapon: Bow
[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 07:45:45 AM by Nick »
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #146 on: April 22, 2011, 07:47:08 AM »
Madoka 11-12: Jesus.

[spoiler]Literally. That is all.[/spoiler]
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

kamikasei

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #147 on: April 22, 2011, 05:04:55 PM »
Madoka ending:
[spoiler]I was very wary for the first part of the last episode, expecting a "and then I created a paradox, and everything was fine!" nonsense ending where the "oh yeah but uh everything that's happened not just in the series but all through history has changed and everyone has retroactively ceased to exist" part was left unaddressed. So instead witches were replaced by demons and apparently everything proceeded almost exactly as it did before. That's still rather annoying (I loathe the notion of "fate" and the idea that things just work out a certain way regardless), but much closer to satisfying than it could have been.

And Homu-chan was very badass. Especially those wings, both sets. I'm a sucker for wings. (How long was she falling from that building, though? Has PMMM been set on Coruscant all along?)

I was surprised that there was no Magia in the ending, though. The very end certainly called for it.[/spoiler]
Bardiche/Raising Heart OTP.
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #148 on: April 22, 2011, 09:23:27 PM »
Madoka ending:
[spoiler]I was very wary for the first part of the last episode, expecting a "and then I created a paradox, and everything was fine!" nonsense ending where the "oh yeah but uh everything that's happened not just in the series but all through history has changed and everyone has retroactively ceased to exist" part was left unaddressed. So instead witches were replaced by demons and apparently everything proceeded almost exactly as it did before. That's still rather annoying (I loathe the notion of "fate" and the idea that things just work out a certain way regardless), but much closer to satisfying than it could have been.

And Homu-chan was very badass. Especially those wings, both sets. I'm a sucker for wings. (How long was she falling from that building, though? Has PMMM been set on Coruscant all along?)

I was surprised that there was no Magia in the ending, though. The very end certainly called for it.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I think Magia playing when Homura unleashed her awesome at Walpurgis Night would have been more awesome. Because she is so awesome.[/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #149 on: April 22, 2011, 09:56:59 PM »
Madoka
[spoiler]Homura appears to have completely different powers now. Nice to see the bow.

The wiki believes the (non-obvious) Puella Magi shown to be Mother Teresa, Anne Frank and Himiko.

As pointed out on GitP, it didn't air on Walpurgis Night. It aired on Good Friday.

Crossing Madoka over with the Nasuverse would have interesting results. :p (Joan of Arc made a contract with the planet...)

We have proof now that the spinoff manga really is just a Dolled Up Installment.

Also, looks like there's another entry for the TTGL-tier lists.[/spoiler]

On a related note, Madoka and Homura share VAs with Platinum the Trinity and, um, Taokaka. :p
EDIT: Mami is Navi? :o
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 10:05:27 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #150 on: April 22, 2011, 10:04:13 PM »
Madoka
[spoiler]Homura appears to have completely different powers now. Nice to see the bow.

The wiki believes the (non-obvious) Puella Magi shown to be Mother Teresa, Anne Frank and Himiko.

As pointed out on GitP, it didn't air on Walpurgis Night. It aired on Good Friday.

Crossing Madoka over with the Nasuverse would have interesting results. :p (Joan of Arc made a contract with the planet...)

We have proof now that the spinoff manga really is just a Dolled Up Installment.

Also, looks like there's another entry for the TTGL-tier lists.[/spoiler]

On a related note, Madoka and Homura share VAs with Platinum the Trinity and, um, Taokaka. :p

This greatly disturbs me.... and I have the DLC announcer pack too.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #151 on: April 22, 2011, 10:15:21 PM »

This greatly disturbs me.... and I have the DLC announcer pack too.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ChiwaSaito

Also, Kyouko is Agita's av. And Kyubey is Kagami from Lucky Star.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 10:32:33 PM by Prime32 »
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #152 on: April 23, 2011, 06:38:53 AM »
Also, Kyouko is Agita's av.

SFT is mai... wait, what?

Please tell me Sayaka is Setsuna.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #153 on: April 23, 2011, 08:12:11 AM »
You know, while watching ep11 I had a thought, and burst into laughter.
[spoiler]Homura vs Huckebein[/spoiler]

SPOILERS
[spoiler]Also, someone needs to draw a pic of HomuLink with a winged yellow Soul Gem flying around saying "Hey Listen!"[/spoiler]

EDIT: Kind of late to this, but anyone want to stat Heimdall as an epic spell?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 09:46:26 AM by Prime32 »
My work

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #154 on: April 25, 2011, 08:16:34 AM »
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #155 on: April 25, 2011, 11:42:19 AM »
Dog Days ep4
[spoiler]"Gaul-sama, yay!"

Badass ninja are badass.

Did they just set off the bombs via sisfist?

The three idiots are named after colours apparently - Noir, Vert, Jaune. Easy to remember I suppose.[/spoiler]

Also, someone has decoded the script.
My work

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #156 on: April 25, 2011, 02:34:56 PM »
Madoka:

[spoiler]
The only way Homura could've been more badass in that battle was if she had brought some giant robots. Wich isn't that impossible, considering that every time she goes back it's a new timeline, she would eventually run into a world where giant robots were developed and she could steal some. Even if it's just a month's time.

So the majority of the evolution of mankind was done by emotionally disturbed little girls? Explains a lot really.

I was very suprised by Madoka's wish: "KILL THEM ALL!!!"??? Like, if you're rewriting the laws of the universe, couldn't you go for a less bloodthirsty solution like solving entropy or simply making soul gems uncorruptible?

Also no comments on the fact that Homura herself seems to be descending into madness while ascending into some kind of Neo-Witch just like Madoka evolved into Neo-Puella-Magi? That's totally calling for a 2nd season of the series!

[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #157 on: April 25, 2011, 03:28:05 PM »
Madoka:

[spoiler]
I was very suprised by Madoka's wish: "KILL THEM ALL!!!"??? Like, if you're rewriting the laws of the universe, couldn't you go for a less bloodthirsty solution like solving entropy or simply making soul gems uncorruptible?

Also no comments on the fact that Homura herself seems to be descending into madness while ascending into some kind of Neo-Witch just like Madoka evolved into Neo-Puella-Magi? That's totally calling for a 2nd season of the series!

[/spoiler]
[spoiler]
Regarding the wish, there are still limits based on power(you would need infinite power to solve entropy by rewriting the universe I think), and Madoka is by no means unaware of the nature of wishes. Since she had only a few days to think over it, rather than risk causing more problems by trying to solve it all(end entropy, the Incubators never came to Earth, mankind in stone age or Perfect Soulgems, which could take any of a million possible iterations), she wished to have the ability to solve one specific problem.

Hence why the "by my own hand" line. She will personally save each and every girl from the brink of despair in the exact way she wants(as opposed to ending all Witches by making them all drop dead, killing all magical girls in the same stroke, or making soulgems incorruptible by petrifying all girls through the ages as soon as they make their wish).
So they make their wish, fight their battles and at the end of life Madoka takes them personally to Valhalla. Note that girls no longer become Witches because their soulgems darken from despair, but they CAN run out of energy and the despair simply manifests external to them anyway. Running out of energy of course, kills you when you're effectively an energy being. Not bad for a wish she had less than a week to think over, as a teenaged girl. Maybe she could have done better, but it'd take a lawyer-philosopher quite a while to work out a 'perfect' wish.

As for that last, her battles come to an end, she wants to see Madoka one last time. Me, I like leaning on the Madoka-Valhalla option. Where else should 'disappeared' magical girls go, than the formless realm she is in?
[/spoiler]
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 09:54:31 PM by Nick »
[spoiler][/spoiler]

kamikasei

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #159 on: April 26, 2011, 10:12:05 AM »
Madoka:[spoiler]The only way Homura could've been more badass in that battle was if she had brought some giant robots. Wich isn't that impossible, considering that every time she goes back it's a new timeline, she would eventually run into a world where giant robots were developed and she could steal some. Even if it's just a month's time.[/spoiler]
Yes indeed.
Bardiche/Raising Heart OTP.
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]