Author Topic: Anime & Manga 3  (Read 164177 times)

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
Re: Anime & Manga 3
« Reply #100 on: April 10, 2011, 04:22:53 PM »
^^
Basically yeah, Madoka girls hunt eldritch abominations at the behest of a mephistopheles expy.
Sakura captures cards that are 'good kids' really, just a little unruly, and mostly just trying to test her worth as a master than to really do a lot of damage.

Jewel Seeds are from a universe that destroyed itself through abuse of magic.

Jewel Seeds = Grief Seeds?
They both turn into monsters and carry an absurd amount of energy...
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #101 on: April 10, 2011, 04:57:58 PM »
^^
Basically yeah, Madoka girls hunt eldritch abominations at the behest of a mephistopheles expy.
Sakura captures cards that are 'good kids' really, just a little unruly, and mostly just trying to test her worth as a master than to really do a lot of damage.

I'll agree that the cards are "good kids", confused/bored at worst, and it's mostly fun and games and creepily white lesbian best friend dressing up Sakura in the first arc.

Then we enter the second arc where the dude that made them shows up, and he's a complete psycho, puting people's lifes on the line to make Sakura convert cards faster. Wich ends with the whole city being held hostage.

And that's not even touching in Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles, where it's revealed Clow has been seriously messing up stuff all over the multiverse.

Cubey

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #102 on: April 10, 2011, 05:04:51 PM »
Let's see if I understand, the Madoka crew is the dangerous gang of yakuza girls hanging out at night looking for trouble and Sakura is the nice-behaved girl trying to hurry home whitout atracting unwanted atention?
No, Sakura! Stay away from the vicious deconstruction!

You ever stoped to pick up a Marvel comics nowadays and give it a look? Perhaps one of the Ultimates? Or the marvel zombies saga?  
Go Nagai was first though.

You forget, Marvel is trying really hard to be taken seriously as adult entertainment of late. (By which I mean the last 20 years.)
Because gratitous violence, gore and fanservice is just the thing you have to do to be taken as serious, adult entertainment.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #103 on: April 10, 2011, 05:10:22 PM »
You forget, Marvel is trying really hard to be taken seriously as adult entertainment of late. (By which I mean the last 20 years.)
Because gratitous violence, gore and fanservice is just the thing you have to do to be taken as serious, adult entertainment.
:D

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #104 on: April 10, 2011, 05:21:25 PM »
Then we enter the second arc where the dude that made them shows up, and he's a complete psycho, puting people's lifes on the line to make Sakura convert cards faster. Wich ends with the whole city being held hostage.
The manga makes it clearer, but basically nobody else was in any danger at all, but he had a time limit before the cards started burning out from mana depletion so he had to really push Sakura. Not sure about the expanded multiverse though. Never read that myself.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #105 on: April 10, 2011, 08:30:43 PM »
Negima
[spoiler]Meh, at least this means that Eva can jump through and kick ass.[/spoiler]

Oh and this
[spoiler][/spoiler]
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 08:34:58 PM by Nick »
"You'll still be living in caves."
"Hell I don't mind that."
[spoiler][/spoiler]
befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #106 on: April 10, 2011, 08:40:20 PM »
I have to say that is pretty much how I envision that particular encounter would end

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #107 on: April 10, 2011, 08:42:10 PM »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #108 on: April 10, 2011, 08:56:07 PM »
Let's see if I understand, the Madoka crew is the dangerous gang of yakuza girls hanging out at night looking for trouble and Sakura is the nice-behaved girl trying to hurry home whitout atracting unwanted atention?
Hmm, you realize Sakura is partially a dere-construction of the magic girl genre itself right? For starters she has no natural transformation sequence, its her lesbian best friend that makes her the frilly clothes ("because magic girls must wear them!" on her own words), then videotapes everything and watches it. The familiar isn't taken seriously by anybody most of the time because he looks like a plushie, and instead of monster of the week we have confused/bored magic card of the week. Not to mention the rival (Syaoran) is always behind Sakura in raw power terms, breaking up with the usual "super-powerfull rival appears out of nowhere!" that even Madoka does.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #109 on: April 10, 2011, 09:01:54 PM »
Hmm, you realize Sakura is partially a dere-construction of the magic girl genre itself right? For starters she has no natural transformation sequence, its her lesbian best friend that makes her the frilly clothes ("because magic girls must wear them!" on her own words), then videotapes everything and watches it. The familiar isn't taken seriously by anybody most of the time because he looks like a plushie, and instead of monster of the week we have confused/bored magic card of the week. Not to mention the rival (Syaoran) is always behind Sakura in raw power terms, breaking up with the usual "super-powerfull rival appears out of nowhere!" that even Madoka does.
Heck, Sailor Moon was a deconstruction. Magical girls that fight? What madness is this?
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #111 on: April 10, 2011, 09:18:53 PM »
:D
I never commented on its degree of success, naturally.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #112 on: April 10, 2011, 09:58:53 PM »
My next analogy in real when possible.
[spoiler]

In other news, also done with a full reread of LicD.[/spoiler]
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Cubey

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #113 on: April 10, 2011, 11:13:22 PM »
@Oslecamo:
Yeah, I know. Hence why I said vicious deconstruction. The difference is like watching a shoddily built tower of wooden blocks: you can grab the pieces and rearrange them into something else entirely, or you can just laugh maniacally and push the whole thing over. Not saying the latter approach is bad, though. It can be vastly entertaining in its own right.

Hey, there's a new Negima? Let's check.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #114 on: April 11, 2011, 04:25:14 AM »
^^
I think of it as setting the tower on fire while you laugh maniacally instead. :D

Well, Syaoran missed out on the power up Sakura got. So for season 2 hes kinda decorative. The gap wasn't so big initially though, given that he can cast spells on his own without cards(supposedly five elements magic, though all we see is the lightning blast) and he did have the Time captured.

RE: Nanoha-Madoka crossover
Really though, the Madoka-verse seems a perfect origin for Lost Logia.
Dangerous forbidden magic exploitation, Jewel/Grief Seeds.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #115 on: April 11, 2011, 01:16:14 PM »
Well, Syaoran missed out on the power up Sakura got. So for season 2 hes kinda decorative. The gap wasn't so big initially though, given that he can cast spells on his own without cards(supposedly five elements magic, though all we see is the lightning blast) and he did have the Time captured.
Wich reminds me of the only moment on the series wich made me RAGE, the final judgement, when Yue goes all "Epic spell turning suckers!", and Sakura proceeds to be saved by the magic teacher with artifact of plot because she's the main character.

Also Syaoran does use basic Wind (to catch falling Sakura here and there), Fire (when fighting Snow and at least in one other instance) and Water (when Eriol turns him into a puppet). Plus the magic of Heart, by their powers combined, Sakura becomes the new card mistress! Because in any work by CLAMP true feelings are the biggest power available, so suposedly Syaoran just being there cheering is quite important.

Mind you, in the manga he doesn't even gets to catch a single card. Altough the whole deck was much smaller in there.

In Tsubasa he gets a lot more screen time and chances to (literally) kick ass, since Sakura spends most of the time comatose and stuff, but even then it's heavily implied Sakura is on a completely diferent level, since
[spoiler]
Each tiny fragment of her soul is an object of almost limitless power that can be used for all kind of crazy stuff.
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #116 on: April 11, 2011, 03:03:32 PM »
Might have gotten further if he was a cute girl :P
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #117 on: April 11, 2011, 04:34:05 PM »
I recommend you to do read it then. Sakura does gets more and more active as the series progresses untill she's kicking ass herself.  Here, have some quick spoilers:

[spoiler]

Yes, those two last panels are  goth-dominatrix Sakura literally leading the main male characters by a leash. :p

[/spoiler]

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #118 on: April 11, 2011, 08:24:43 PM »
Might have gotten further if he was a cute girl :P

He should be a Masou Shoujo then.
[spoiler][/spoiler]
"You'll still be living in caves."
"Hell I don't mind that."
[spoiler][/spoiler]
befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #119 on: April 11, 2011, 09:32:11 PM »
Fate/stay night: the campaign

[spoiler]Okay, so the two Servants face off, the-
I draw my swords and attack him
You... what? I said to build a ranger.
You said this class was the same as ranger. I chose the TWF style.
Did the name Archer not tip you off?

I rolled a 19. That means I... die.
Wait, what? How can you not be immune to death effects? You're epic!
...look, let's just say that the spear didn't...
Screw you guys, I'm out of here.
...I'm immune to death effects.
Shut up Archy.

Wow, you're really having your character sacrifice himself so the others can get away? I'm impressed.
Wait, what, sacrifice myself? Why would I do something like that? I cast Sudden Persisted time stop then draw my wand of cloud of knives...
Rocks. Fall.

Okay, I'm giving you another chance. You can take over an NPC.
Woohoo!
Just don't turn Shirou into your old character, okay?

Hey guys.
You're back?
Did not see that coming.
Yeah, after that last... incident I got him to build a character using only NPC classes this time. So let's take a look.
Here you go.
...why does a freaking commoner have an attack bonus with three digits?
[/spoiler]
My work