Author Topic: Fun vs. Efficiency  (Read 9672 times)

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
Re: Fun vs. Efficiency
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2011, 03:45:39 PM »
Yes, having actual options certainly helps.

For some people, the bookkeeping aspect of having options is not worth it.  Any class that can actually do something either requires a ton of paperwork, or just gives one a headache(Factorum).

This is why my group is full of melees.  However, I wouldn't be caught dead not playing a caster at this point because I can do the bookkeeping, and enjoy the options it gives me.

Factorum gives headaches for a different reason. But just because the simple minded can't handle it doesn't make it bad, quite the opposite.

And in response to your other question: Me and some others.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2011, 04:07:41 PM »
Endarire, why are you continuously posting these threads in the Min/Max forum?
Shouldn't they be in the D&D Deliberations forum?
+1, Endrarie, you have posted a number of these metaphysical questions here already.  For a game that's been out as long as this one has, I find it hard to imagine that you and your group have not given these sufficient thought.

Onto the actual question:  what do we mean by "efficiency" here?  Based on reading through the thread, it seems you mean "build efficiency," i.e., having all your feats match up and synergize, picking the "right" spells, stuff like that.  I wonder if that's what the chaos-loving friend really has in mind.  If so, then this is kind of a silly question b/c one has nothing to do w/ the other other, really.  Once you get to the table, you can play your god wizard chaotically or you can play your BSF chaotically, within their relative lifespans or what have you.

I think the trade-off the mysterious friend might have in mind is efficiency at the level of gameplay.  Meaning, how much should we expect one to deliberate about their choices for every round, what spell they are going to cast, etc.  Ideally, I like to not have to worry all that much about that sort of thing, or to worry just as much as I feel like it w/ that particular characters (some of my characters are more tactically-minded than others, some more impulsive).  To that end, I put a lot of effort into making my character sheets easy to read, putting everything I need on them, that sort of thing. 

I've currently been on a kick to reduce the amount of bookkeeping needed at the table, since D&D characters seem to require an awful lot of it.  Some of this has been a shift to "per encounter" abilities, or just paying for them to be at will and other considerations.  It's still a work in progress.  Another thing to do is tone down the power of games so that one needs to pay less attention to having the "right" counter to every ability and that sort of thing, but that requires a commitment on the part of everyone involved. 

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2011, 06:26:21 PM »
It is, however, quite easy to go too far in the other direction.  I've definitely hit that point before, where you're so optimized it's not fun at all anymore.  When every problem can be solved by a spell, there's no creativity left... nothing can challenge you.  The fun is in getting around the restrictions... if there are none from the outset, then who cares?  Playing in god mode is only fun for a short while.  Eventually you want to be challenged again.

There's a good reason I stopped playing Archivist/Binder/Anima Mages and Shadowcraft Mages, and moved back down towards Factotums and Swordsages.  When you have enough abilities to be creative it's fun... but when you have enough abilities to completely shatter the campaign instantly, it's boring.
JaronK, you would LOVE playing a shaper psion/constructor character. This is the kind of stuff I eat up, and optimizing on-the-fly using your excessively flexible powers is amazingly refreshing.

When I optimize a character I aim for both flexibility and stamina (which is remarkably easy, so I branch out to other sources for even more). Then I use my creativity in-game to solve whatever problem I can. Like illusionists, shapers become incredible when you're good at thinking outside the box.

Who knew living in an amber hamster ball could be so much fun?

After all, Lord of the Rings would have been a really stupid series if Gandalf had just said "so, this ring could destroy us all.  I'm just gonna fly over on this eagle and destroy it.  After that, who wants lunch?"

JaronK
I'm sure Frodo and Sam in particular would've appreciated it.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Anarchy_Kanya

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Bisexuality rocks! Anarchy Rules! Anarchy Girl FTW
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2011, 07:05:02 PM »
How compatible are fun and efficiency in tabletop games?  What are your experiences?  What can GMs and game makers do to merge these more?
I always play for fun. I always encourage my players to play for fun. As long as they don't go full-out loony, it's fine by me. After all, as a DM my job is to make a balanced but challenging adventure for the players, and if they're having fun while doing it then I get to have fun too. If I have to stat up sixteen White Slaads for one random encounter just to put up some resistance, it's not fun.
This. +1
Fly Away With Me!
We Are Angels! Anarchy!
[spoiler]
Once my 12 level VoP exalted Monk beat a Horned Devil. ALONE! The only dmg the devil could do to me was from one spell-like that he menaged to shoot out before he droped. :D
wow... you are the epitome of trolling...

Non complete list of people here that are not fuckwits: bearsarebrown, BeholderSlayer, Dictum Mortum, Ithamar, Kajhera, RelentlessImp, SeekingKnight, Shiki, Solo.
You didn't include yourself. Does that mean you're a fuckwit? ???

Hi Welcome
Then I can assume the answer to the question is "Yes".
[/spoiler]
Making Fighters special - lil project by me.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2011, 10:02:49 PM »
After all, Lord of the Rings would have been a really stupid series if Gandalf had just said "so, this ring could destroy us all.  I'm just gonna fly over on this eagle and destroy it.  After that, who wants lunch?"

JaronK
Not to mention the books and the movies were mediocre at best.

Handy Links

Rejakor

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2011, 02:31:36 PM »
When you always win without particularly caring or trying, that's boring.

When you always lose no matter how hard you try, that's boring.

If you lose even 75% of the time you won't survive a campaign.

Roy is still wrong, though.

Most games don't run at the difficulty level his games run at.  Highly optimized top-of-their-CR mooks are not the norm.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2011, 03:04:01 PM »

Most games don't run at the difficulty level his games run at.  Highly optimized top-of-their-CR mooks are not the norm.

Hi Welcome

Despite your randomly dragging me into this, you still fail, and are still wrong in every count. Especially the mook bit. Who said they were mooks?

And don't forget:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

[/spoiler]

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2011, 03:10:41 PM »

When you play smart and creatively and consistently triumph over difficult situations as a reward, that's fun.

Just IMHO.

Anarchy_Kanya

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2011, 04:04:47 AM »
Who the hell is Roy? O_o

Most games don't run at the difficulty level his games run at.  Highly optimized top-of-their-CR mooks are not the norm.

When you play smart and creatively and consistently triumph over difficult situations as a reward, that's fun.

Just IMHO.
Exactly. But the difficult situations must firstly be possible to overcome. ;)
Fly Away With Me!
We Are Angels! Anarchy!
[spoiler]
Once my 12 level VoP exalted Monk beat a Horned Devil. ALONE! The only dmg the devil could do to me was from one spell-like that he menaged to shoot out before he droped. :D

Non complete list of people here that are not fuckwits: bearsarebrown, BeholderSlayer, Dictum Mortum, Ithamar, Kajhera, RelentlessImp, SeekingKnight, Shiki, Solo.

Hi Welcome
[/spoiler]

Rejakor

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2011, 04:09:44 AM »
I meant Sunic.

When you state an opinion enough times, it becomes a standard by which other things can be measured.

Also, i'm eternally confused as to whether Roy and Sunic are the same person or not.  I swear to god once Roy said he wasn't Sunic, but they are the same person.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2011, 09:39:48 AM »
I meant Sunic.

When you state an opinion enough times, it becomes a standard by which other things can be measured.

Also, i'm eternally confused as to whether Roy and Sunic are the same person or not.  I swear to god once Roy said he wasn't Sunic, but they are the same person.

Paizil Fallacy. Also, don't feed the trolls.

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Anarchy_Kanya

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2011, 09:52:30 AM »
I meant Sunic.

Also, i'm eternally confused as to whether Roy and Sunic are the same person or not.  I swear to god once Roy said he wasn't Sunic, but they are the same person.

But then you will starve to death and I won't have anyone to laugh at. :(
Fly Away With Me!
We Are Angels! Anarchy!
[spoiler]

Hi Welcome
[/spoiler]

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2011, 09:53:46 AM »
I meant Sunic.

Also, i'm eternally confused as to whether Roy and Sunic are the same person or not.  I swear to god once Roy said he wasn't Sunic, but they are the same person.

No, bad Jarona. No stealing my lines.

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2011, 09:57:36 AM »
I meant Sunic.

No, bad Jarona. No stealing my lines.
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2011, 10:14:22 AM »
Hate is so like love. Its a force of attraction.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2011, 10:16:11 AM »
Endarire, why are you continuously posting these threads in the Min/Max forum?
Shouldn't they be in the D&D Deliberations forum?
+1, Endrarie, you have posted a number of these metaphysical questions here already.  For a game that's been out as long as this one has, I find it hard to imagine that you and your group have not given these sufficient thought.
But what is sufficient thought?

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2011, 02:43:23 PM »
You folks talking about fun in here?

I like fun.

You like fun?

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2011, 03:55:37 PM »
I like fun.

Some people here seem to think that you can only have fun one way, though. :p
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2011, 05:15:57 PM »
I like fun.

Some people here seem to think that you can only have fun one way, though. :p
There are at least two.

In and Out.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 10:07:56 PM by Lycanthromancer »
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Anarchy_Kanya

« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2011, 05:24:12 PM »
Who, who?
Fly Away With Me!
We Are Angels! Anarchy!
[spoiler]

Hi Welcome
[/spoiler]