Author Topic: Fuck You to casters.  (Read 60983 times)

AleksanderTheGreat

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Dumbass. o_o
Re: Fuck You to casters.
« Reply #280 on: March 14, 2011, 12:01:56 AM »
Likewise the previously mentioned page 95's Kuo Toa sports cleric casting without cleric levels. No Ex mention that bestows that and no mention of Spells under either creature's Special Attack entry which reading the entries states all special attacks are to be re-noted there.
Um... what? There is "Divine Talent (Ex)" at the very end of the stat block.
Quote from: Sephirothsword117
Quote from: Solo
Optimizing is the antithesis of roleplaying because it takes focus away from the important parts of the game.
I'm inclined to disagree. People work hard on there characters, there personality, back ground, appearance, so forth. No one wants there character that they have invested time, energy, thought, and probably emotion in to be killed because they didn't take strong enough feats or skills or spells or what have you.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #281 on: March 14, 2011, 12:05:01 AM »
Damn I am blind. Bottom notations like that are supposed to be listed in the top block.

Edit: Wait. Special Abilities descriptions of previously noted abilities appear there and it does appear under SQ rather than the MM's SA call. Been focused on SA the last few days dealing with J. Rechecking and still not seeing Jaebrin's block listign spells in either SA or SQ.

Edit 2: Same with Hobgoblin's entry on page 84. Class granted spellcasting isn't typed (per the original source I'm sure). However, it would seem when a monster is granted spellcasting as X class it gets typed and as it's own ability. No such thing as Spells anymore at all. See what happens when someone does do some research instead of yelling about how they are right? Stuff gets found.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 12:17:53 AM by SorO_Lost »
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

AleksanderTheGreat

• Dumbass. o_o
« Reply #282 on: March 14, 2011, 12:17:39 AM »
Jaebrins spells are a class feature. Beguilers class feature. because it has a level in Beguiler.
Optimizing is the antithesis of roleplaying because it takes focus away from the important parts of the game.
I'm inclined to disagree. People work hard on there characters, there personality, back ground, appearance, so forth. No one wants there character that they have invested time, energy, thought, and probably emotion in to be killed because they didn't take strong enough feats or skills or spells or what have you.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #283 on: March 14, 2011, 12:31:16 AM »
Jaebrins spells are a class feature. Beguilers class feature. because it has a level in Beguiler.
Yeah edit #2 has that, was poking around I knew there was a nearby class granted spellcasting ability.

Same with Hobgoblin's entry on page 84. Class granted spellcasting isn't typed (per the original source I'm sure). However, it would seem when a monster is granted spellcasting as X class it gets typed and as it's own ability. No such thing as Spells anymore at all. See what happens when someone does do some research instead of yelling about how they are right? Stuff gets found.

The term Spells seems to be deprecated as far as monster entries go (glossary contains a copypasta untyped spells entry). Instead when a creature is given the ability to cast as a character of X level in Y class, the ability granting that trait is typed. Said ability is listed as a Special Quality. SQs are special abilities which would have been a tremendous boon for JaronK to make a point out of. But like the idiot he is he refuses newer sources and was hell bent on one line of text.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 12:34:43 AM by SorO_Lost »
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #284 on: March 14, 2011, 12:39:01 AM »
Yeah edit #2 has that, was poking around I knew there was a nearby class granted spellcasting ability.

Same with Hobgoblin's entry on page 84. Class granted spellcasting isn't typed (per the original source I'm sure). However, it would seem when a monster is granted spellcasting as X class it gets typed and as it's own ability. No such thing as Spells anymore at all. See what happens when someone does do some research instead of yelling about how they are right? Stuff gets found.

The term Spells seems to be deprecated as far as monster entries go (glossary contains a copypasta untyped spells entry). Instead when a creature is given the ability to cast as a character of X level in Y class, the ability granting that trait is typed. Said ability is listed as a Special Quality. SQs are special abilities which would have been a tremendous boon for JaronK to make a point out of. But like the idiot he is he refuses newer sources and was hell bent on one line of text.

I don't think calling someone an idiot just because you're 100% wrong is conducive to winning an argument.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

AleksanderTheGreat

• Dumbass. o_o
« Reply #285 on: March 14, 2011, 12:40:19 AM »
See what happens when someone does do some research instead of yelling about how they are right? Stuff gets found.
You're talking about yourself, right? Because from what I have seen, YOU where the one who "yelled" the loudest and YOU weren't civil in this discusion. So... please keep your tone down.

But like the idiot he is he refuses newer sources and was hell bent on one line of text.
FYI, I still don't see how JaronK is wrong. I might be dumb (and not knowing english perfectly isn't helping), but I'm all on his side.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 12:42:46 AM by AleksanderTheGreat »

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #286 on: March 14, 2011, 12:41:11 AM »
Quote from: SorO_Lost
Said ability is listed as a Special Quality. SQs are special abilities which would have been a tremendous boon for JaronK to make a point out of. But like the idiot he is he refuses newer sources and was hell bent on one line of text.

Quote from: JaronK
MMV and FC1 both list abilities that are basically casting (Arcane Talent and that divine ability that the critter that starts with L has).  Both are listed as Ex Special Abilities... but as Special Qualities.  Now, the Monster Manual is the primary source on Special Abilities, so if that's a contradiction (the MM says Spells are a Special Attack) then the MM just trumps... but I realized there's another possibility.

You even responded to that post from yesterday.  See where I was talking about the Hobgoblin's ability, namely Arcane Talent?

So, I assume due to the fact that you were unable to find any quotes to back up your earlier claims that you are now conceding that no rule ever claims newer trumps older, and also conceding that no book after DMGII claims that the ability to cast spells is untyped?

Thanks.  

JaronK

AleksanderTheGreat

• Dumbass. o_o
« Reply #287 on: March 14, 2011, 12:46:43 AM »
I think that it just an update. In earlier statblocks it was in "Special Attacks" section, but now they changed it to make it clearer. Now RAW Polymorph grants the ability to cast spells, but NOT THE SPELLS THEMSELFS. That's how I see it.

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #288 on: March 14, 2011, 12:48:07 AM »
I think that it just an update. In earlier statblocks it was in "Special Attacks" section, but now they changed it to make it clearer. Now RAW Polymorph grants the ability to cast spells, but NOT THE SPELLS THEMSELFS. That's how I see it.

I thought it granted the spells themselves but not the ability to cast them.

AleksanderTheGreat

• Dumbass. o_o
« Reply #289 on: March 14, 2011, 12:50:37 AM »

You thought wrong. :P (or I'm misunderstanding something)

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #290 on: March 14, 2011, 12:51:04 AM »

I think WotC's monster-writing staff never thought through the implications of polymorph spells and thus didn't always worry about typing abilities they didn't think would need it.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

AleksanderTheGreat

• Dumbass. o_o
« Reply #291 on: March 14, 2011, 12:53:39 AM »
Imagine it like that:
You get the mashinegun, but you got no ammo. :)
You get the ability to cast the spells, but you have no spells to begin with.
And here comes a question: What if a Sorc would polymorph into something that has Sorc spellcasting?

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #292 on: March 14, 2011, 12:58:25 AM »

Spells do fit the definition of special attacks (any special ability that can be used to hinder or harm anything) better than Special Qualities (special abilities that are not offensive in nature).  See the FAQ.

And since the Monster Manual says they're Special Attacks, that would trump any later book that said they were Special Qualities unless they're allowed to count as both (which evidently by the FAQ they are).  It's possible that you can only get spells that are capable (in any way) of harming or hindering something.

Really, the Rules Compendium SHOULD have outright stated what they are one way or the other, but failed to do so.  That's the only book that could have actually trumped the Monster Manual.

But note that the "Spells" ability includes knowledge of the spells, so you do have them.  However, if the ability includes a requirement to memorize your spells for the day (for example, when you get Wizard casting from an Ethergaunt) you'd still have to do that before casting them, just as a Wizard might.  In that case, only Shapechange lasts long enough for your Spells ability to be of use.  But if you got Sorcerer casting, you should be good to go.

JaronK

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #293 on: March 14, 2011, 01:26:48 AM »
no, because you specifically have to spend an hour preparing your self for casting spells, regardless of whether your spells are prepared or spontaneous.
not to mention how far you want take the whole 8 hours of rest per day if you want to cast at all .....

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #294 on: March 14, 2011, 01:29:29 AM »

You thought wrong. :P (or I'm misunderstanding something)

Ah just the 'Arcane Talent' being under special qualities and 'Spells' being under special attacks gave me that impression.

On the same monster, yes.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #295 on: March 14, 2011, 01:59:01 AM »
no, because you specifically have to spend an hour preparing your self for casting spells, regardless of whether your spells are prepared or spontaneous.

Nope.  Look at the Wizard... it says that in his "Spells" entry.  Now look at the Sorcerer.  Doesn't say that anywhere.  The hour study thing is a special rule found in the "Spells" entry of prepared casters only.

You do need 8 hours of rest to refresh your spells, but you don't need to refresh them at all if they were never used in the first place (which they weren't, you didn't have them before).

JaronK

AleksanderTheGreat

• Dumbass. o_o
« Reply #296 on: March 14, 2011, 02:16:43 AM »
You do need 8 hours of rest to refresh your spells, but you don't need to refresh them at all if they were never used in the first place (which they weren't, you didn't have them before).
And therefore you don't have them now. You get the glass but you have to fill it first if you want to drink. ;)

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #297 on: March 14, 2011, 02:25:01 AM »
And therefore you don't have them now. You get the glass but you have to fill it first if you want to drink. ;)
That analogy is as relevant as fruit.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #298 on: March 14, 2011, 02:31:23 AM »
That analogy is as relevant as fruit.
You gotta harvest the fruit before you eat it.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #299 on: March 14, 2011, 03:06:55 AM »

Nope.  Look at the Wizard... it says that in his "Spells" entry.  Now look at the Sorcerer.  Doesn't say that anywhere.  The hour study thing is a special rule found in the "Spells" entry of prepared casters only.

JaronK
My bad -- I stand corrected.
sort of ....
p.179, PHB -- spontaneous casters do need to spend time each day concentrating to "ready their mind" ; but it's only 15 minutes, instead of an hour.

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.