Author Topic: To Reach or not to Reach (Duskblade help)  (Read 4204 times)

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
Re: To Reach or not to Reach (Duskblade help)
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2011, 08:17:27 AM »
Adding spells to their list is one of the constant challenges for Duskblades since the PHBII classes received zero support. One of the easiest is the Arcane Disciple feat, and I've looked around and haven't seen any domains that offer thunderlance.
I don't employ memes. Mass-produced ammunition, even from reputable manufacturers, tends to malfunction on occasion.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2011, 08:22:44 AM »
You could try and ask for Extra Spell (Thunderlance) or Arcane Disciple (Force Domain) and Customize Domain with a nice DM.

The legal way to get it is using a Drake Helm (Eberron - Explorer's Handbook). Pricey, but well worth it. It can also pick up other nice things, like Haste as a 1st level spell, Improvisation (Bard 1) and just about any other Arcane spell you'd want.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 08:26:32 AM by CantripN »
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

willpower

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2011, 03:05:33 PM »
As for PRCs what are your thoughts of using the Arcane Preparation feat to qualify for Mage of the Arcane Order. It would hurt your PRC, but with a 4 level dip, you then have access to all 1-5th level arcane spells, and by 20 you can still have a BAB of 18.

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2011, 03:34:47 PM »
If you can use Eberron stuff, consider going the symbiont route and grabbing the tentacle whip for extra reach.  As I recall, there is also a symbiont that adds a few low level spells to your spell list as "Spells Known".  Can be handy for a Duskblade.
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

willpower

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2011, 04:25:47 PM »
Someone suggested Wyrm Wizard as a good PRC for the Duskblade, and it does appear ok at first glance to me, but two things I noticed right away is that it isn't full casting, so it will hurt your casting ability, and the Drconic Discovery doesn't appear towork with Duskblade unless you have the Arcane Preparation Feat. The Spell Research does add spells though.

I think MoAO works better though. I have heard someone say it doesn't work well for Duskblades in combat, but I can't see a reason it wouldn't if they plan their spell pool spell beforehand.

Empirate

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2011, 07:04:54 PM »
More PrCs that allow extra spells on your list, just in case you're after that: Recaster (must be a Changeling, but that's not a bad race) and Sandshaper (get lots and lots of spells, quite a few at lower than usual levels).

Also, have you considered simply dipping Wizard 1? It's amazing what a Conjurer level with Abrupt Jaunt can do for you in combat. It provides easy access to Scribe Scroll (which you can also trade in for a Fighter Feat, if you desire). And you get access to all the Sor/Wiz spells in Scrolls, Wands and Staves. Simply buy a Wand of Enlarge Person, you won't run out even in a longer campaign. Or take an Eternal Wand instead.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2011, 07:48:33 PM »
Mage of the Arcane Order has a pretty high feat tax: Cooperative Spell, Arcane Preparation and any other Metamagic feat.

I'd recommend it strictly for games with flaws as it looks very beneficial, but not so much to displace the Duskblade Trifecta of Power Attack/Knowledge Devotion/Arcane Strike.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2011, 08:18:59 PM »
A 2 level dip into Dragon Disciple will net you 2d12 HP, +1 natural armor, +2 STR, natural attacks, and 2 bonus spell slots.  You'll likely already have ranks in Knowledge (Arcana), so it isn't a lot of an investment really.  Or take 4 levels even.  You still end up with Duskblade 13 (which is one of the last break points), but end up with another +2 STR, +1 natural armor, and haven't lost any but +1 BAB.
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

willpower

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2011, 05:44:57 AM »
Ypu're right about the big cost forgetting into MoAO. Hadn't completely thought of that, and we have no flaws in this game. So that is probably out. Started thinking about just going as the guide suggested and stick with straight DB, might do that. I have checked out Sand Shaper, and am strongly thinking about that. I always pictured this guy as a sort of desert nomadic warrior, and thematically it works really well. Its added spells aren't the best, though some are really good, and a few of them thematically work very cool. It also only takes one feat to get into. Its sandshaping ability actually synergizes well with a DB too.

The only two things I am hesitant about with it is that it lowers my caster level, and that some of the higher level progressing abilities of the DB (Quick Cast and Spell Power are hard to pass up. Particularly this matters now, as I am making the character at 17th level and he just now gets 5th level spells, though with Sand Shaper, he won't get any 5th level spells until next level.