Author Topic: Mastering Pick Pocketing  (Read 5612 times)

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
Re: Mastering Pick Pocketing
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2011, 02:51:05 AM »
Honestly, Factotum 20 is already a Mage/Thief.  I find the Factotum/Chameleon to be less appealing in practice than it might seem.

JaronK

Rejakor

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2011, 03:45:50 AM »
Or you can just play what you're playing with;

Item Familiar for untyped +lol bonus to sleight of hand; or a huitzil familiar if you want your familiar using wands and scouting for you.

Criminal Background or Apprentice (Thief) feat(s).  At this level Apprentice would become Master (Thief) and give you a minion.

Sticky Fingers in a wand (UMD is nice to have so your familiar can use wands, in any case).  Improvisation is another great spell-in-a-wand.  Or you could use bard as the entry to Unseen Seer and get both on your spell list. 

Finger Blades for the mundane plus 1, although i'm unsure whether that would stack with a masterwork skill tool.

Etc etc.

13 ranks, +5 dex, something like +30 from your item familar (do not lose your item familiar), +5 magic item of sleight of hand, +2 mwk item, +5 for improvisation, +10 from sticky fingers and without anything else you've got +70 to sleight of hand for picking pockets.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2011, 05:18:53 AM »
Improvisation is based off CL, so wanding it isn't nearly so cost-effective.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Rejakor

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2011, 05:30:05 AM »
Good point.

Another reason to be a bard, if you want to skillmonkey.

Ain't nothing wrong with bard/UnseenSeer/Ur-Priest/Sublime/MysticTheurge.

Ezekiel_NL

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2011, 12:30:29 PM »
Thanks for the great solutions, guys.

I have one question concerning the Factotum: How does the Inspiration point system work outside encounters. The text only refers to that the Factotum gets his Inspiration Points at the beginning of an encounter and mentions nothing for use of these points outside encounters.

Thanks

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2011, 01:09:14 PM »
Thanks for the great solutions, guys.

I have one question concerning the Factotum: How does the Inspiration point system work outside encounters. The text only refers to that the Factotum gets his Inspiration Points at the beginning of an encounter and mentions nothing for use of these points outside encounters.

Thanks
Remember that traps are encounters, as are diplomatic, stealth, and yes, even stealing.  Any place where there are two sides (you and something else, doesn't have to be a creature at all), is considered an encounter.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Lo77o

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Guns dont kill people, apes with guns kills people
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2011, 01:37:47 PM »
Outside initiative they reset every 2 minutes. Inside initiative or social interaction or anything normally an encounter they reset after the encounter is done.
"Home is where you can find a decent graveyard and strangers can disappear without awkward questions." - Braids, Cabal Minion

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2011, 08:34:05 PM »
Outside initiative they reset every 2 minutes. Inside initiative or social interaction or anything normally an encounter they reset after the encounter is done.
Wouldn't that be outside of initiative they reset every 2 minutes or when you hit a new encounter? As mentioned, fights aren't the only encounters you...err...encounter.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Ezekiel_NL

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2011, 06:54:37 AM »
Ok, sounds logical. Is there any book reference on non-combat encounters?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2011, 07:22:46 AM »
Ok, sounds logical. Is there any book reference on non-combat encounters?
DMG 50 for starters.  It's kind of interwoven - traps are given encounter levels elsewhere in the DMG, for instance.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.