Author Topic: Idea: Non-dippable base classes.  (Read 2169 times)

Nytemare3701

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Idea: Non-dippable base classes.
« on: March 01, 2011, 02:39:06 PM »
As many of you know, I'm working on a rewrite to the PHB, including the base classes. My design goal is to have the first 6 levels of the class be the original D&D character chassis, with all the iconic abilities. What do you think about making those non-dippable, ie you have to stay in the class till you reach 6?

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
Re: Idea: Non-dippable base classes.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 02:48:47 PM »
Not a terrible idea, spell casters are fine as is. Maybe toss some flavor abilities onto them.

So something like-
Fighter-A feat a level, and choice of Dungeon Crasher, Swift Intimidate, or Overpowering attack at 6? Maybe add some of the other options at 2 and 4?
Skill prodigy from Kingdoms of Kalamar

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 03:00:17 PM »
Tome does it better with abilties that cease to scale or functional at all unless you take enough levels. Look at Ninja and Barbarian for specifics.

Rejakor

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 03:06:42 PM »
Write the abilities so they scale to the class and aren't just super useful as a dip.

Like Tome does, basically.

If you dip barbarian 2 in tome, at level 8, you get abilities suited to a level 2 character.  Not a level 8 character.  And that is totally fine.

SeekingKnight

• Curious George
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 03:29:55 PM »
Ummm odd question but if you dipped barbarian 2 in the current system wouldn't you have barbarian 2 powers? Like say fighter 6 barbarian 2 is 8th level said character has rage 1/day, fast movement, uncanny dodge ect of a barbarian while fighter has four fighter feats.

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 03:47:53 PM »
Not to be obtuse, but what's the appeal of this?  What are you gaining from non-dippable base classes? 

Rejakor

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 04:12:49 PM »
Rage is supposed to be the barbarian 'schtick' til level 12.  A barbarian 2 can do it, just less times per day, which, in the 15 minute workday, isn't a big deal.

Paladin 2 nabs you cha to saves.  Barbarian 1 Lion Totem grants you Pounce.

Etc etc.  Lots of classes have frontloaded things that don't scale.  Lots of melee builds just tour around different classes collecting all the benefits.

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 04:53:46 PM »
Rage is supposed to be the barbarian 'schtick' til level 12.  A barbarian 2 can do it, just less times per day, which, in the 15 minute workday, isn't a big deal.

Etc etc.  Lots of classes have frontloaded things that don't scale.  Lots of melee builds just tour around different classes collecting all the benefits.
Sure, I mean, I know that's true.  I just don't know what's that bad about it.  I've always kind of thought of it as a feature rather than a flaw.  Something sort of along the lines of "here are a bunch of building blocks that you may find useful for your martial builds, pick which ones suit your concept/tactics." 

I do agree that it'd be nicer if there were more classes that worked fine "out of the box," w/out any huge investments of creativity needed, but that's a separate issue. 

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 05:21:26 PM »
I hope these rewrites will be a little better, because as many have said, staying in Wizard until 6, not a big deal.  Staying in Fighter for six levels is...sorta meh.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 06:07:18 PM »
Forcing people not to dip is a bad mechanic.  Making it worthwhile to stay in the class is much better.

Personally, I think Barbarians should get Pounce at level 6 (not as a substitution though).  Pounce at level 1 just front loads the class far too much.

JaronK

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 07:29:53 PM »

The problem is more that greater rage isn't good enough to be a significant difference.  If rage scaled better it wouldn't be an issue
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 07:36:46 PM »
Well, pounce at level 1 would still be an issue.  But it would be less of one if there was a point to going even to Barbarian 3.

JaronK

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 08:31:26 PM »
Forcing people not to dip is a bad mechanic.  Making it worthwhile to stay in the class is much better.

Personally, I think Barbarians should get Pounce at level 6 (not as a substitution though).  Pounce at level 1 just front loads the class far too much.

JaronK
Agreed, on both counts.

There's nothing wrong with dipping, if it gets you the abilities you want. After all, what's the in-game difference between taking a level in fighter, a level in warblade, a level in crusader, or a level in barbarian? They all hit stuff hard, but in different ways.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]