Author Topic: [3.5]Some modest house rules for direct damage Evocation.  (Read 1864 times)

Agrippa

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
[3.5]Some modest house rules for direct damage Evocation.
« on: February 24, 2011, 05:51:38 AM »
Looking through the evocation revisions I thought, I have a few ideas of my own. I'll post them up for you guys to mercilessly tear them a part. With that said these are my basic attempts at fixing direct damage evocation.

Level 0
Ray of Frost At will.
Level 1
Burning Hands As PHB spell but with a maximum of 7d4 points of fire damage.
Magic Missile As PHB spell but inflicts 1d6+1 points of force damage and creates up to nine missiles.
Shocking Grasp As PHB spell but with a maximum of 7d6 points of electrical damage.
Level 2
Scorching Ray As PHB spell but inflicts 7d6 points of fire damage.
Level 3
Fireball As PHB spell but inflicts 1d6 points of fire damage per level (14d6 maximum).
Lightning Bolt As PHB spell but inflicts 1d6 points of electrical damage per level (14d6 maximum).
Level 4
Ice Storm Double damage.
Shout As PHB spell but inflicts 1d6 points of sonic damage per level (14d6 points maximum), twice that amount for crystaline creatures and objects.
Wall of Fire As PHB spell but inflicts three times as much damage.
Level 5
Cone of Cold AS PHB spell but inflicts 1d6 points of cold damage per level (21d6 maximum).
Level 6
Chain Lightning AS PHB spell but inflicts 1d6 points of electrical damage per level (28d6 maximum).
Freezing Sphere AS PHB spell but inflicts 1d6 points of cold damage (1d8 to creatures with the (water) subtype) per level (21d6 (21d8) maximum).
Level 7
Delayed Blast Fireball As PHB spell but inflicts 1d6 points of fire damage per level (28d6 maximum) and ignores artificial fire immunity and resistance.
Level 8
Polar Ray As PHB spell but inflicts 2d6 points of cold damage per level (40d6 points maximum). Plus one ray every four levels (max. 4). Ignores artificial cold immunity and resistance.
Shout, Greater As PHB spell but inflicts 2d6 points of sonic damage per level (35d6 points maximum), twice that amount for crystaline creatures and objects. Ignores artificial sonic immunity and resistance.
Sunburst As PHB spell but inflicts inflicts 2d6 points of positive energy damage per level (35d6 points maximum), twice that amount for undead, molds, slimes and fungi.
Level 9
Meteor Swarm As PHB spell but creates one fireball per two caster levels which inflict 15d6 points of fire damage each. Ignores artificial fire immunity and resistance.

Now I've divided immunities and resistances into two categories. Innate, what you'd get from virture of race or templates and artificial, from spells and magic items.

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
Re: [3.5]Some modest house rules for direct damage Evocation.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 06:28:31 AM »
What's with the damage caps? I've never understood them.

Shit like fireball would be a lot more useful without a damage cap and if it set bitches on fire for a few rounds (Let's say 3, or the spell level). The "set on fire" damage should scale too.
I don't employ memes. Mass-produced ammunition, even from reputable manufacturers, tends to malfunction on occasion.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 06:47:13 AM »
The damage caps is just forced obsolescence presumably, much like the HD caps on some spells.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 09:13:20 AM »
Presumably because you out to be spending high-level slots in order to deal with tough opponents, rather than spamming the same second level spells against dispater.

Also to somewhat limit CL shenanigans.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.