Author Topic: (3.5) Need help with cleric/necromancer.  (Read 16762 times)

Tenebrous Apostate

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Re: (3.5) Need help with cleric/necromancer.
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2011, 07:21:19 AM »
The Deathbound Domain from Libris Mortis is also worth looking at to increase the amount of undead you can control.
I second that thought although if you go caster find a way to get the Necromancer domain from the Eberron capaign setting.. +1 CL for necromancy spells and command undead on the list
Dead mortals feel no Dread

Andion Isurand

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
  • An Anomaly of The Art
    • MageRune - Andion Isurand's Homebrew Blog
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2011, 07:32:49 AM »
I would also recommend taking that Planar Touchstone feat (Planar Handbook 41) linked to the Catalogues of Enlightenment so you can cherry-pick an additional domain power.  As far as I know, you can gain any domain power you want.

beardman

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2011, 03:46:09 PM »
There's some feat that makes you invisible to mindless undead, but after typing that I think it might be a vile feat, which might not be up your alley.  Also if you do Hide from Undead you can look in to getting a Rod of Animated Dead DR 331 pg66, and just summon some undead to Rebuke.

You must be thinking of lich loved out of Book of Vile Darkness.  It's part of a feat tree that has an evil requirement so that won't fly. 

In related news I've discovered that clerics don't need to actually worship a deity but can choose their domains based upon alignment.  You learn the darnedest things reading the PHB!  I still couldn't find the mechanic by which a cleric chooses them though or what alignment qualifies for what domains.  Both the deathbound and undeath domain look good and the magic domain is a requirement for entrance to dweomerkeeper so that's a no brainer.

Something else that's been puzzling me.  Dweomerkeeper has a requirement of eight ranks in spellcraft and knowledge: arcana.  Does anyone know a manner of getting eight ranks for entrance to dweomerkeeper by fifth level?  The direction this character is going at the moment is ideally:

-cloistered cleric 4/dweomerkeeper 10/contemplative 6.  This would be kind of tight on feats as dweomerkeeper requires a metamagic and an item creation feat.  Another question is whether or not casting from a arcane scroll using the magic domain would satisfy the arcane caster requirement.  Hmm.  Every answer just leads to more questions.

-Or do you think I'd be better going cleric 3/necromancer 1/dweomerkeeper 10/contemplative 6?  The problem with this is that it loses a significant amount of xp to multi classing.

Thanks for reading (and putting up with my indecisiveness) and have a bearded day.

beardman

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2011, 02:00:05 PM »
First of all I'd like to thank everyone that's offered advice in this thread.  That being said I have a little update.

Here's what the character is looking like.

Human
"undead enhanced" necromancer 1/"cloistered" cleric 2
deity: wee jas
domains:  knowledge, magic and mind
str 13
dex 12
con 13
int 18
wis 17
cha 16
feats:  scribe scroll, fearsome necromancy, Divine meta magic: heighten spell

The divine meta magic has me set up to enter Mystic Theurge at level 4 and Dweomerkeeper at level 5.  Round it out with Contemplative for the rest.

The only significant magic item will be a hand of the mage to deliver touch spells and shaken status with.  Still have about 800 gold left over if anyone can suggest some magic items or spell scrolls.