Author Topic: [Pathfinder] Want a 1st level agile warrior  (Read 17563 times)

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
Re: [Pathfinder] Want a 1st level agile warrior
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2011, 02:49:30 PM »
Edit 3: Not all archetypes are supported. Dex Fighters have been Full of Fail since... forever, really. You can't do DPS (even more so than a regular Pathfailure character), you still get auto hit, and you accomplish a whole lot of nothing. Also, it's IP Proofing.
Dexterity-types ARE supported; just because you don't know how to do something doesn't mean it's not doable.

Look at the swordsage combined with Shadow Blade. That alone makes for a viable Dex-based build. Granted, this is perhaps the ONLY class that makes for a good Dex build, but it alone debunks your idea that Dex warriors aren't supported at all.

Can't do DPS, super squishy, and it's perhaps the best of the lot. Also, doesn't exist in Pathfailure.

Anyways, even stock mobs, aka a zero optimization game tear Dex builds apart.
If we're talking absolutely no optimization (including having a low Dex and no attempt to make a useful character) then sure.

That's what zero optimization means. However, the minimum of optimization on a swordsage (good Dex score, Weapon Finesse, Shadow Blade, and focus on Shadow Hand), then you'll end up with something that's decent even in a reasonably optimized game (whatever that might mean).[/quote]

Hi Welcome

Context matters. Like right there. See how I said, anyways, even stock mobs, aka a zero optimization game? In that order? Describing the games optimization level immediately followed a reference to the opposition. Clearly, the statement reads: "Even unoptimized enemies absolutely annihilate Dex gimps". Unless of course you're just interested in spamming strawmen, in which case Hi Welcome again.

Edit 6: Closest you can get to mobile melee is a Pouncing build. And that doesn't really count.
Anything that allows you to move and take a level-appropriate action could count. This includes casting spells, taking out one strong foe or a number of weaker ones (whether through a full attack, an AoE effect, a disabling maneuver, or a one-hit-one-kill potshot). This IS doable, but as I said, outside of the swordsage it requires a bit of work.
[/quote]

Casting spells is not a mobile melee. In addition to context, reading comprehension is your friend. Hi Welcome

Taking out enemies, with melee, while being mobile means Pounce. Otherwise you do not qualify as both mobile, and viable, as you aren't full attacking and moving at the same time.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

rasmuswagner

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2011, 02:55:39 PM »
Max dex. Feats: Agile maneuvers, combat expertise, improved dirty trick. Spam Dirty Trick, have fun.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2011, 03:13:43 PM »
Edit 3: Not all archetypes are supported. Dex Fighters have been Full of Fail since... forever, really. You can't do DPS (even more so than a regular Pathfailure character), you still get auto hit, and you accomplish a whole lot of nothing. Also, it's IP Proofing.
Dexterity-types ARE supported; just because you don't know how to do something doesn't mean it's not doable.

Look at the swordsage combined with Shadow Blade. That alone makes for a viable Dex-based build. Granted, this is perhaps the ONLY class that makes for a good Dex build, but it alone debunks your idea that Dex warriors aren't supported at all.

Can't do DPS, super squishy, and it's perhaps the best of the lot. Also, doesn't exist in Pathfailure.
They're capable of good damage. Stance + boost + maneuver (and any number of possible feats) means a swordsage is nearly as capable of damage as the other initiator classes. And since the focus of a swordsage is more on stealth and skills than pure damage, this seems like a reasonable trade-off.

And considering the fact that I've backed up everything that you've called me on without fail, and done so rather competently (generally to the exclusion of argument in the end), I think this might very well be another in a long line of such things.

If we're talking absolutely no optimization (including having a low Dex and no attempt to make a useful character) then sure.

That's what zero optimization means. However, the minimum of optimization on a swordsage (good Dex score, Weapon Finesse, Shadow Blade, and focus on Shadow Hand), then you'll end up with something that's decent even in a reasonably optimized game (whatever that might mean).

Hi Welcome

Context matters. Like right there. See how I said, anyways, even stock mobs, aka a zero optimization game? In that order? Describing the games optimization level immediately followed a reference to the opposition. Clearly, the statement reads: "Even unoptimized enemies absolutely annihilate Dex gimps". Unless of course you're just interested in spamming strawmen, in which case Hi Welcome again.
And my point is that 'zero optimization' is misleading. What determines 'zero optimization'? Putting a high Dex score (ie, greater than 10) in a Dex-based build is optimization. So zero optimization means we can't have that.

If you don't mean 'zero optimization,' then don't say it. If you meant it as something else, then please say so.

Edit
Anything that allows you to move and take a level-appropriate action could count. This includes casting spells, taking out one strong foe or a number of weaker ones (whether through a full attack, an AoE effect, a disabling maneuver, or a one-hit-one-kill potshot). This IS doable, but as I said, outside of the swordsage it requires a bit of work.

Casting spells is not a mobile melee. In addition to context, reading comprehension is your friend. Hi Welcome
Casting a spell can very well be melee. Look at rusting grasp/shocking grasp/chill touch/etc. And the ability for a duskblade to channel spells.

It's not USUALLY considered melee, but that doesn't mean it isn't.

Taking out enemies, with melee, while being mobile means Pounce. Otherwise you do not qualify as both mobile, and viable, as you aren't full attacking and moving at the same time.
Look at the swordsage. They're quite maneuverable, with the ability to move (jump) as a swift action (allowing them to full attack without pounce), teleport as a move, and deal decent amounts of damage with boosts and standard action maneuvers. They don't need pounce to be maneuverable, and yet they're good martial characters nonetheless. This is only augmented with feats. I mean, make a hood using swordsage and see how well those jump-based maneuvers deal damage when multipliers and damage modifiers start adding up.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 03:15:48 PM by Lycanthromancer »
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2011, 03:41:02 PM »
Max dex. Feats: Agile maneuvers, combat expertise, improved dirty trick. Spam Dirty Trick, have fun.

"Fizzle."

Another classic line.

They're capable of good damage. Stance + boost + maneuver (and any number of possible feats) means a swordsage is nearly as capable of damage as the other initiator classes. And since the focus of a swordsage is more on stealth and skills than pure damage, this seems like a reasonable trade-off.

And considering the fact that I've backed up everything that you've called me on without fail, and done so rather competently (generally to the exclusion of argument in the end), I think this might very well be another in a long line of such things.

Only if you define such as more straw men.

That's what zero optimization means. However, the minimum of optimization on a swordsage (good Dex score, Weapon Finesse, Shadow Blade, and focus on Shadow Hand), then you'll end up with something that's decent even in a reasonably optimized game (whatever that might mean).

Hi Welcome

And my point is that 'zero optimization' is misleading. What determines 'zero optimization'? Putting a high Dex score (ie, greater than 10) in a Dex-based build is optimization. So zero optimization means we can't have that.

If you don't mean 'zero optimization,' then don't say it. If you meant it as something else, then please say so.[/quote]

Hi Welcome

You're doing it again.

Me: Even completely unoptimized monsters tear you apart.
Lycan: More herp derp about zero optimization on the character, which has nothing to do with the topic, as the character is not a damn monster. And even if they are, he's not fighting himself, so it's still a goddamned straw man.
Me: Correcting wrongness and fail, with descriptions.
Lycan: Repeat herp derp.

Edit

Casting a spell can very well be melee. Look at rusting grasp/shocking grasp/chill touch/etc. And the ability for a duskblade to channel spells.[/quote]

Oh look, spells that don't do enough damage to meet the viable criteria. And if you assume Duskblade, you get to deal with the fact it's still not good DPS, as a mobile melee for most of the game, as they're just as full attack dependent as everyone else, don't get Standard channel until 3, but do get multiple attacks at 6. Which leaves a narrow little window at 3-5. And that assumes you are defining mobile melee as run up and hit it, which probably isn't what he means, anyways. Not to mention, lol not Pathfailure. Don't insult everyone's intelligence by bringing up the Magus, you're degenerating fast enough as is.

Look at the swordsage. They're quite maneuverable, with the ability to move (jump) as a swift action (allowing them to full attack without pounce), teleport as a move, and deal decent amounts of damage with boosts and standard action maneuvers. They don't need pounce to be maneuverable, and yet they're good martial characters nonetheless. This is only augmented with feats. I mean, make a hood using swordsage and see how well those jump-based maneuvers deal damage when multipliers and damage modifiers start adding up.
[/quote]

Because Jump checks allow you to cover long distances?

Swordsages need houserules just to stop failing. Not as many as say, a Fighter, but they still aren't a playable class out of the box.

And don't forget:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

[/spoiler]

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2011, 05:47:54 PM »
I don't know, nor like Pathfinder very much.  But, would it be possible to avoid yet another meta-debate about the fail or lack thereof of archetypes and try to actually help out the OP?  That was something CharOpp Boards used to be great for -- finding novel ways to build certain archetypes.  If the OP is interested in hearing what the "power" classes are commonly thought to be, just google or search for the Tiers threads and those will give you some rough guidelines.  

He/She is asking for an agile melee character that can hang w/ a PF Alchemist and Paladin, which shouldn't be all that hard since, unless I'm mistaken, neither of those are OMG crazy good.  

If you were playing regular ol' 3.5, I'd readily suggest a strike-focused TOB character, w/ either Flyby Attack (raptoran, etc.) or house-ruled Spring Attack to make it look like Flyby Attack.  That, or perhaps a mobility-focused character like a Scout w/ Travel Devotion (and maybe Pounce for good measure) and stuff like that.  I can PM you build components along those lines if you like.  But, the problem is they are all going to be 3.5 and rely on things that aren't in PF.  Sorry, I just don't know it.  And, it may be that even the level of support is lacking in PF.  That might be unfortunate, and if that's the case you can ask the DM if you can import some 3.5 material.  

P.S.:  mounted was brought up before, I think.  It might be adequately supported in PF, I'd have to look at the Paladin or Cavalier classes, as well as seeing if they mucked around w/ the mounted combat feats.  That might be doable, especially if you get a relatively small mount -- you might be able to find a medium mount that can carry you as a human (doable in 3.5 at least) -- although the standard suggestion would be to play a small race.  That can probably be built so as to keep up w/ the Paladin and the Alchemist, at least, as well as the others if they aren't quite optimized (again, depending on what PF gives you to work w/).  

EDIT:  maybe the Scout here (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advanced/coreClasses/rogue.html), especially if there are pounce type options in PF. 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 06:23:34 PM by Unbeliever »

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2011, 05:55:36 PM »
The CO boards is meant to find the tools, if they exist. If they don't exist, nothing you can do. In this case, they don't exist. In such a case, the way to help is to inform the poster what they want is not feasible. Also, there is a Sorcerer, a Cleric, and Alchemists are casters.

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2011, 06:00:24 PM »
The CO boards is meant to find the tools, if they exist. If they don't exist, nothing you can do. In this case, they don't exist. In such a case, the way to help is to inform the poster what they want is not feasible. Also, there is a Sorcerer, a Cleric, and Alchemists are casters.
To pull a page out of your book, Sunic...

Hi Welcome

Because that's all it deserves.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2011, 06:01:20 PM »
Unbeliever is right. The CO boards wouldn't be the CO boards if they couldn't find an answer to that. Sure, it will never beat a caster, but we can make it as good as possible.

Bester

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2011, 06:18:47 PM »
Unbeliever is right. The CO boards wouldn't be the CO boards if they couldn't find an answer to that. Sure, it will never beat a caster, but we can make it as good as possible.

If it's 2 books (core and guide), then good luck.  This particular build is not feasible if, as Sunic mentions, there are 2.5 casters to do it better than you.

I talked my sister out of rogue and into sorcerer for this very reason.  Play to the tier of your party.  The Paladin received enough of a boost to be relevant until around level 11, and they are good if all you fight is evil.

If 3.5 splat is allowed, I'm sure he'd get his answer fairly quickly.  As it stands, he's gonna be third string to the casters and eventually a liability to the party.

Or you could talk your DM into E6

Dionysus

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2011, 06:50:26 PM »
Okiedokie... we've established that a plain fighter or rogue will become a liability to the Sorceror/Alchemist/Cleric/Paladin group.

What, then, would be a good thing to fill in the gaps they have? I would prefer something based on mobility or taking out weak points amongst the enemy. (maybe a sorceror with shadow or abyssal heritage, then taking eldritch knight prestigue or shadow dancer?)

(still pathfinder + advanced players guide)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 06:58:25 PM by Dionysus »

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2011, 06:56:15 PM »
An Eldritch Knight? Arguably, that's a fullcaster, but is has mobility and can take out weak points and is melee.

Bester

• Email
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2011, 06:58:46 PM »
What, then, would be a good thing to fill in the gaps they have? I would prefer something based on mobility or taking out weak points amongst the enemy.

Sorcerer with a good bloodline and expeditious retreat should work at low levels.  Then haste and slow.

Level 6+, it looks like the party just gained the option to hit and run with little investment on your part.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2011, 07:42:45 PM »
Okiedokie... we've established that a plain fighter or rogue will become a liability to the Sorceror/Alchemist/Cleric/Paladin group.

What, then, would be a good thing to fill in the gaps they have? I would prefer something based on mobility or taking out weak points amongst the enemy. (maybe a sorceror with shadow or abyssal heritage, then taking eldritch knight prestigue or shadow dancer?)

(still pathfinder + advanced players guide)

Another Sorcerer, or a Wizard. All your stuff is a Standard action (or Swift), so you can still move, and save or loses is all about striking the weak point for massive damage (and by damage, I mean save or lose, again, no Fireballs). Ideally, your damage output is zero, or as close to zero as possible, as say... swinging a sword around will only lead to Fail and Suffering.

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

StreamOfTheSky

« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2011, 08:55:51 PM »
Howdy all.
We've started a new D&D(Pathfinder) campaign. I've never actually played Pathfinder/D&D3.5 before, so need some help getting a character that I am happy with.

We're starting 1st level human character, and we've rolled stats etc.
My rolls are:
    17 16 14 14 8 8
as a human I get +2 to one of them.

I am trying to make a fast/maneuverable guy - something along the lines of the Prince of Persia/Dastan. Focusing on avoiding being hit, fast attacks, able to maneuver around the battlefield. light armor is a must. I'll most likely want to take a level in rogue as well.

The other people in the part are an alchemist (throwing explosives around), a Paladin (our shield wall), a Cleric (also a shield wall), and a sorceror (ranged). I am aiming to fill the "take out the enemy weak points"

As a human fighter, I'll have 3 feats to take at 1st level, and 2(fighter)+1(human)+1(favored class)+int bonus skill levels to apply.

Character wise I am the brother of the Cleric - i am also his bodyguard devoted to protecting him. We are a pair of runaway noble sons from a theocratic nation (Persia/Egypt like) who have spent time travelling the world, and now in a "scandinavian equivalent" country full of barbarians.

I rather like the Mobile Fighter variant, you should try that.  It doesn't get the ability to move around a lot and kick ass until level 11, but's it's a nice improvement over regular fighter.  You don't need to have a huge dex tobe a "agile fighter," nor do you need to only wear light armor ultimately, thanks to Armor Training.

Are you forced to be human?

I would do your rolls as follows:
Str 19 (human +2), Dex 14, Con 16, Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 8.
You could flip dex and con, I guess.  Switch Int and Wis if not going for Combat Expertise.
Fight with a 2H weapon of some sort and power attack.  Possibly a reach weapon, or use the Fighter's feat retraining option to focus in one of those later.  I had a build idea, I'll use that to advise you, see if you like it.  The dip in Thug Rogue is to grab a bunch of +3 class skill bonuses on Acrobatics (even with the +3, Acrobatics to tumble is usually suicidal, though) and such.  You also get a little sneak attack and a handy duration boost to your demoralizing.  Youcould really take a dip in anything with a good skill list and at any time, I just chose level 6 because I wanted to get Leaping Attack quickly.

Build: Mobile Fighter 5 / Thug Rogue 1 / Fighter X
Feats:
1 Power Attack
1 Weapon Focus (some big 2H weapon)
1 Dodge
2 Mobility
3 Dazzling Display
4 Spring Attack
5 Nimble Moves (this feat is REQUIRED to ensure you can always use Leaping Attack)
7 Combat Expertise
7 Whirlwind Attack
9 Shatter Defenses
9 Weapon Specialization
11 Improved Trip?
11 Greater Trip?

By the time you get WWA, you should retrain Weapon Focus to a reach weapon if you haven't already (and wear armor spikes to threaten adjacent).  You don't really need WWA until Fighter 11 when you can then, presumably, use Rapid Attack to move around thwaking many foes.  I just...had nothing better to fill in the levels with...  Thanks to armor training, you can eventually move unhindered in full plate, and thanks to Mobile Fighter, you can still get weapon training bonuses starting at level 9, since Leaping Attack only replaces weapon training 1. :)  Dazzling Display / Shatter Defenses gives you an area debuff and sneak attack self-setup.  You"attack weak spots" by having a massive to-hit and (power attack-aided) damage.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2011, 08:57:52 PM »
How about a dominant ideal ardent 10/elocator 10?

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2011, 09:34:52 PM »
I rather like the Mobile Fighter variant, you should try that.  It doesn't get the ability to move around a lot and kick ass until level 11, but's it's a nice improvement over regular fighter.  You don't need to have a huge dex tobe a "agile fighter," nor do you need to only wear light armor ultimately, thanks to Armor Training.

Are you forced to be human?

I would do your rolls as follows:
Str 19 (human +2), Dex 14, Con 16, Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 8.
You could flip dex and con, I guess.  Switch Int and Wis if not going for Combat Expertise.
Fight with a 2H weapon of some sort and power attack.  Possibly a reach weapon, or use the Fighter's feat retraining option to focus in one of those later.  I had a build idea, I'll use that to advise you, see if you like it.  The dip in Thug Rogue is to grab a bunch of +3 class skill bonuses on Acrobatics (even with the +3, Acrobatics to tumble is usually suicidal, though) and such.  You also get a little sneak attack and a handy duration boost to your demoralizing.  Youcould really take a dip in anything with a good skill list and at any time, I just chose level 6 because I wanted to get Leaping Attack quickly.

Build: Mobile Fighter 5 / Thug Rogue 1 / Fighter X
Feats:
1 Power Attack
1 Weapon Focus (some big 2H weapon)
1 Dodge
2 Mobility
3 Dazzling Display
4 Spring Attack
5 Nimble Moves (this feat is REQUIRED to ensure you can always use Leaping Attack)
7 Combat Expertise
7 Whirlwind Attack
9 Shatter Defenses
9 Weapon Specialization
11 Improved Trip?
11 Greater Trip?

By the time you get WWA, you should retrain Weapon Focus to a reach weapon if you haven't already (and wear armor spikes to threaten adjacent).  You don't really need WWA until Fighter 11 when you can then, presumably, use Rapid Attack to move around thwaking many foes.  I just...had nothing better to fill in the levels with...  Thanks to armor training, you can eventually move unhindered in full plate, and thanks to Mobile Fighter, you can still get weapon training bonuses starting at level 9, since Leaping Attack only replaces weapon training 1. :)  Dazzling Display / Shatter Defenses gives you an area debuff and sneak attack self-setup.  You"attack weak spots" by having a massive to-hit and (power attack-aided) damage.
As for the weapon, up until 11th(where you MIGHT be able to consider using two weapons), the best pick is a 2 handed reach weapon, and if you're using traits, get the best polearm you can with Heirloom weapon(which starts you off with a free proficiency in that specific weapon, free masterwork and a free +1 to hit with that specific weapon). A Bardiche or Guisarme is probably as good as you can get without using other books for equipment. Bonus to Reach, your alchemist can throw bombs without splashing you.
Presuming PF and APG material only though, some of the feats might need to change.

Picks
Power Attack - Theres almost no reason not to take this and use it all the time.
Furious Focus - No penalty to power attack on your first attack, this means up until level 4, Power Attack is a free +3 damage, then it becomes a free +6. Sure the penalty applies to opportunity attacks, but those are rarer and you'd probably still hit after a mere -1.

Dodge - prereq for Mobility, which you'd be using a lot if you plan to move in and out of reach.
Mobility - +4 AC when dealing with AoOs, you can probably shift this behind a bit if you use a reach weapon and your enemies.
Spring Attack - You'd be using this with Furious Focus until you reach 11th, might as well get used to it.

Dazing Assault - Coming it late at level 11, it turns your attacks into daze-lock combos, if you got a high to hit, theres not much drawback to using this whenever your opponent is healthy

Theres more options but I got to leave for work now, bleargh.
EDIT:
Mmm, delicious Wind Stance, might be worth the Dex investment.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Glutton

• Email
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2011, 03:34:04 AM »
Rogue (Scout Variant) / + 2 levels of shadow dancer

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2011, 04:10:53 AM »
Not three? The shadow companion can be awfully handy.
Hell, the Agile rogue gets off only one sneak attack per round without pouncing charges, using the Companion for a flanker might work better.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 04:13:03 AM by veekie »
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2011, 06:02:37 AM »
Sadly, the best agile warrior types are ToB classes, which it sounds like aren't allowed with the books in this particular campaign.  Swordsages can absolutely do it just fine, as can Warblades.  Both are very strong at level 1.  A simple build like Swordsage 1/Factotum 3/Swordsage +X/Factotum +5/Swordsage rest of the way makes a great agile warrior type, with amazing setting sun throws (Int+Dex to trip people) and lots of rapid actions (Cunning Surge + Maneuvers, Int + a static bonus to initiative), and great maneuverability (teleports and such).  It can easily do the trick if you know what you're doing (which is to say, can play well enough to handle whatever challenges your DM will throw at you... what's needed depends on the campaign).  A Warblade focused around Tiger Claw and Diamond Mind can absolutely do it too, and quite successfully.

So, if you really want to play this, ask your DM about including ToB.

JaronK

Dionysus

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2011, 11:39:43 AM »
Does a ranger class elicit the same levels of hate as a fighter/rogue?
ie - will a ranger be able to keep up better?