Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 23: You know the drill  (Read 186567 times)

b100d_arrowz

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question 23: You know the drill
« Reply #820 on: April 01, 2011, 11:17:56 PM »
There are a few, one of the better ones is Slayer of Domiel, from Book of Exalted Deeds.
Q:
Is there a good rogue/assassin-ish PrC for clerics that progresses divine spellcasting? I'm making an lilithu assassin and like to take advantage of the cleric spells.
So yeah... what are the others?

There's the black flame zealot in the CD. The Arachnomancer gets poison use but no death attack type stuff (Underdark), but its an arcane class, but could likely be switched over. Drow Judicator (Underdark) gets the ability to "judge" people if thats what your looking for in terms of assassinating. Thrall of Orcus (BoVD) gets death touch. Thrall of Graz'zt (BoVD) is a sneaky betrayer type. Thrall Demogorgon is a murdering psychopath according to the flavor and abilities, Mortal Hunter gives you the ability to slay mortals and get some spells.
I'm delirious from lack of sleep, but am sustained by the power of the Gatling Gun!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #821 on: April 01, 2011, 11:18:28 PM »
Q 279:  Is there any way to 5' step instead of attacking, or get more 5' steps during a full-attack than supreme cleave gives you?  Idea is to infinite cleave as long as you have targets.  Already got Sweeping Strike and Knockback + Domino Rush to grab extra attacks to be used for moving.
There is a feat in the Tomb of Battle I believe that lets you take a 5' step instead of taking an attack of opportunity
A279: Evasive Reflexes.
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

AleksanderTheGreat

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Dumbass. o_o
« Reply #822 on: April 01, 2011, 11:40:32 PM »
Q 279:  Is there any way to 5' step instead of attacking, or get more 5' steps during a full-attack than supreme cleave gives you?  Idea is to infinite cleave as long as you have targets.  Already got Sweeping Strike and Knockback + Domino Rush to grab extra attacks to be used for moving.
There is a feat in the Tomb of Battle I believe that lets you take a 5' step instead of taking an attack of opportunity
A279: Evasive Reflexes.
I was gonna propose this and also Sidestep from Miniatures Handbook and Opportunistic Tactician from Dragon #340 which both do the same but after the attack, not instead.
Quote from: Sephirothsword117
Quote from: Solo
Optimizing is the antithesis of roleplaying because it takes focus away from the important parts of the game.
I'm inclined to disagree. People work hard on there characters, there personality, back ground, appearance, so forth. No one wants there character that they have invested time, energy, thought, and probably emotion in to be killed because they didn't take strong enough feats or skills or spells or what have you.

bananaphone

• ring ring ring ring ring ring ring...
« Reply #823 on: April 02, 2011, 02:06:16 AM »
Q 279:  Is there any way to 5' step instead of attacking, or get more 5' steps during a full-attack than supreme cleave gives you?  Idea is to infinite cleave as long as you have targets.  Already got Sweeping Strike and Knockback + Domino Rush to grab extra attacks to be used for moving.
There is also the 5th level Setting Sun stance, Shifting Defense.   
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 02:10:47 AM by bananaphone »

AleksanderTheGreat

• Dumbass. o_o
« Reply #824 on: April 02, 2011, 02:11:52 AM »
Q 279:  Is there any way to 5' step instead of attacking, or get more 5' steps during a full-attack than supreme cleave gives you?  Idea is to infinite cleave as long as you have targets.  Already got Sweeping Strike and Knockback + Domino Rush to grab extra attacks to be used for moving.
You're probably thinking of the 5th level Setting Sun stance, Shifting Defense.  
No, there is a feat, Evasive Reflexes (although the stance probably does this also, as you say), which was already posted by InnaBinder. Please read before you post.
Optimizing is the antithesis of roleplaying because it takes focus away from the important parts of the game.
I'm inclined to disagree. People work hard on there characters, there personality, back ground, appearance, so forth. No one wants there character that they have invested time, energy, thought, and probably emotion in to be killed because they didn't take strong enough feats or skills or spells or what have you.

bananaphone

« Reply #825 on: April 02, 2011, 02:13:47 AM »
You're probably thinking of the 5th level Setting Sun stance, Shifting Defense.  
No, there is a feat, Evasive Reflexes (although the stance probably does this also, as you say), which was already posted by InnaBinder. Please read before you post.  *no need to be a jerk here*
I corrected my statement.
Also, consider investing in 5 levels of Warmind to get the Sweeping Strike ability.  That way you can hit 2 foes with each cleave. (Dropping 2 foes with this ability will only trigger 1 cleave however)
Bah!   :mad  I just realized this ability cannot be used if you have moved more than 10 feet since your last turn.  Probably not worth it for what you're trying to do.  
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 03:13:50 AM by bananaphone »

AleksanderTheGreat

• Dumbass. o_o
« Reply #826 on: April 02, 2011, 02:43:03 AM »
Q:
Obviously, a Wizard can't cast in armor freely (spell failure and such). BUT what about items like wands and scrolls? I've checked SRD but I want to make sure. Scrolls are like spells, so casting in armor an arcane spell from a scroll will have spell failure but using a wand will not, right?
2nd Q:
A major scroll can have up to 6 spells on it. That means 6 charges or 1 charge but you can choose from 6 spells?

Ras F

« Reply #827 on: April 02, 2011, 03:07:34 AM »
Q:
Obviously, a Wizard can't cast in armor freely (spell failure and such). BUT what about items like wands and scrolls? I've checked SRD but I want to make sure. Scrolls are like spells, so casting in armor an arcane spell from a scroll will have spell failure but using a wand will not, right?
2nd Q:
A major scroll can have up to 6 spells on it. That means 6 charges or 1 charge but you can choose from 6 spells?

A wand definitely won't, personally I'm inclined to say that neither do scrolls, but I have no evidence to support my stance on the matter.

1 spell, 1 charge. This does not preclude a scroll from having the same spell scribed multiple times however.
Life gives you lemons? Then you better fucking learn Citromancy.

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #828 on: April 02, 2011, 03:36:22 AM »
Q:
2nd Q:

A wand definitely won't, personally I'm inclined to say that neither do scrolls, but I have no evidence to support my stance on the matter.

1 spell, 1 charge. This does not preclude a scroll from having the same spell scribed multiple times however.

Quote from: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/scrolls.htm
Using a scroll is like casting a spell for purposes of arcane spell failure chance.

A scroll does indeed risk arcane spell failure (at least, if it's an arcane scroll).
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #829 on: April 02, 2011, 04:16:13 AM »
Q 283 Anyone know what question we're actually supposed to be on? I'm kind of guessing at this point.

Q 284 Is there's a 3.5 update for Races of Faerun?

Q 285 Is there a Crusader's handbook?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #830 on: April 02, 2011, 04:19:34 AM »
No, but a specific spell is likely allowed.  Each spell is a seperate attack, just like how "spell like abilities" isn't considered a single special attack.

Spells, or Spellcasting, is a Natural Special Attack that allows you to cast spells.

Since specific spells aren't listed in any of the monster entries that have class levels or natural spellcasting as Special Attacks, they aren't Special Attacks, and you can't use Ability Focus on them.  You can, however, take Spell Focus to raise their DCs.

To break this down;

Yes, Spells is a Special Attack, and thus qualifies for the Ability Focus feat.  However, Spells does not have a DC.  All Spells/Spellcasting does is allow you to cast spells, such as flare or stinking cloud.  The spells are not themselves a special attack.  They are not part of the Spells ability, the Spells ability just lets you cast them.  They are not listed as part of the Spells entry's effects, and they aren't listed separately as special attacks, and thus you cannot use the Ability Focus feat on them.
See, your reasoning breaks down in that spell-like abilities are never listed seperately either, but they are still multiple special attacks.  I believe that some monsters even haave Ability Focus with one of their Sp abilities.

I won't get onto your assumption that spells are Natural Abilities.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

bananaphone

« Reply #831 on: April 02, 2011, 04:54:20 AM »
Q 283 Anyone know what question we're actually supposed to be on? I'm kind of guessing at this point.

Q 284 Is there's a 3.5 update for Races of Faerun?

Q 285 Is there a Crusader's handbook?

A283:  :shrug
A284:  I have never found an update.  I think Races of Faerun is 3.5, but it's one of those books that was printed during the transition period to 3.5.  My reasoning is that there is no Wilderness Lore or Scry skills in the book, but spells still are listed as "1 action" instead of "1 standard action".  Savage Species is like that too.
A285: The Crusader's Handbook

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #832 on: April 02, 2011, 04:55:45 AM »
A284:  I think Races of Faerun is 3.5, but it's one of those books that was printed during the transition period to 3.5.  My reasoning is that there is no Wilderness Lore or Scry skills in the book, but spells still are listed as "1 action" instead of "1 standard action".  Savage Species is like that too.
It still has things like DR 10/+1. I guess Savage Species is like that too though.

The link takes me to an incomplete handbook. They don't talk about what maneuvers to take.

bananaphone

« Reply #833 on: April 02, 2011, 05:14:11 AM »
A284:  I think Races of Faerun is 3.5, but it's one of those books that was printed during the transition period to 3.5.  My reasoning is that there is no Wilderness Lore or Scry skills in the book, but spells still are listed as "1 action" instead of "1 standard action".  Savage Species is like that too.
It still has things like DR 10/+1. I guess Savage Species is like that too though.

The link takes me to an incomplete handbook. They don't talk about what maneuvers to take.
Ah, sorry about the incomplete handbook.  There is another one on GitP, but that one is also incomplete when it comes to maneuvers.  There is the Tome of Battle for Dummies which has some commentary on maneuvers but I didn't see any recommendations on what you should take.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #834 on: April 02, 2011, 06:25:51 AM »

Ah, sorry about the incomplete handbook.  There is another one on GitP, but that one is also incomplete when it comes to maneuvers.  There is the Tome of Battle for Dummies which has some commentary on maneuvers but I didn't see any recommendations on what you should take.
It's got enough on it to help. I found another one through Google that just had a single build, and it kind of helped too.

Q 286 Follow up. Is there a way to get the Hide 4 ranks needs for the RKV PrC without having to pay the double cost of cross-class skills when you're a cleric?

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #835 on: April 02, 2011, 06:34:31 AM »

It's got enough on it to help. I found another one through Google that just had a single build, and it kind of helped too.

Q 286 Follow up. Is there a way to get the Hide 4 ranks needs for the RKV PrC without having to pay the double cost of cross-class skills when you're a cleric?

Either Able Learner (probably a bad idea, since it's a feat), a lvl of Human Paragon (a less worse idea) or check your domain selection, IIRC. (Best bet.)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #836 on: April 02, 2011, 06:50:14 AM »
Either Able Learner (probably a bad idea, since it's a feat), a lvl of Human Paragon (a less worse idea) or check your domain selection, IIRC. (Best bet.)
Not a human so the first two are out, but the domain Trickery gives you Hide as a class skill. Too bad the spells aren't that great.

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #837 on: April 02, 2011, 07:00:13 AM »
Not a human so the first two are out, but the domain Trickery gives you Hide as a class skill. Too bad the spells aren't that great.

Think of Domains as very nice icing on the cake of Cleric, not the cake itself.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #838 on: April 02, 2011, 07:13:05 AM »

Think of Domains as very nice icing on the cake of Cleric, not the cake itself.
Yeah, but I'm of those guys who likes to have their cake, and eat it too. No one eats just the icing.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #839 on: April 02, 2011, 07:18:34 AM »
Gets you PaO and timestop.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.