Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 23: You know the drill  (Read 186574 times)

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: Ask a Simple Question 23: You know the drill
« Reply #80 on: February 25, 2011, 06:45:14 AM »
Q 30: creature with saint template (BoED) has ability to create "double-strength magic circle against evil". What does double-strength mean in this case?
Double the numerical bonuses.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Doron

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #81 on: February 25, 2011, 07:38:34 AM »
Q 30: creature with saint template (BoED) has ability to create "double-strength magic circle against evil". What does double-strength mean in this case?
Double the numerical bonuses.

Meaning +4 AC and +4 saves against evil only? What about DC to enter/leave?

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2011, 11:37:54 AM »
Q27: How long do red dragons carry their eggs before laying them?
Q28: At what age category can Red Dragons lay eggs?
Q29: How long do they have to wait between egg layings?

These are actually going to come up in a game.  Weird right?
AFB at the moment, but I would think the most likely place for that info would be the Draconomicon.  If it's not there, there might be something in an issue of Dragon magazine.  Otherwise, you could take a peak in the Book of Erotic Fantasy (no, seriously).

According to this page, Red Dragons carry their eggs for the first quarter of their 660 day incubation period (so 165 days), can begin laying eggs at the young adult through very old age categories (young adult through wyrm for males fertilizing eggs), and can lay eggs up to once per year.

You are my hero.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: February 25, 2011, 02:36:05 PM »
Umm...  You get feats and the like off of racial hit die.

You get feats based on your total Hit die

Hit DiceFeat Acquisition and Ability Score Increases

Character Level: The total number of class levels a creature has, plus any racial Hit Dice the creature has.
Considering its a web article and who it is by I would border on this being completely wrong. As far as the SRD is concerned it seems that Racial Hit die are only counted for total hit die and ECL not character level.

If Character level was Class + Race then every dragon progression table is wrong.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #84 on: February 25, 2011, 04:04:07 PM »
If RHD don't count towards character level, you end up with really odd situations for skills and the like, since "maximum rank in a skill is level + 3 for class skills" - not "hit dice +3"
Planetouched Handbook

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #85 on: February 25, 2011, 05:11:04 PM »
Q31: If you have the Fire Domain and have Rebuke Dragons, can you effectively Rebuke twice as many Red Dragons?

Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: February 25, 2011, 06:13:05 PM »
If RHD don't count towards character level, you end up with really odd situations for skills and the like, since "maximum rank in a skill is level + 3 for class skills" - not "hit dice +3"

I will admit that it is badly thought out but which part of D&D is well thought out?

RAW will either be monsters have a lower skill rank cap than they should or all monsters with more than 20 HD need to have their stats redone.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #87 on: February 25, 2011, 06:17:37 PM »
Check out the third paragraph of the sidebar on page 7 of the Epic Level Handbook. 

Edit: Alternately, you can find the same information on page 207 of the Dungeon Master's Guide. 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 06:30:14 PM by Maat_Mons »

Vicerious

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Foolish Mortal
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: February 25, 2011, 06:23:03 PM »
Q31: If you have the Fire Domain and have Rebuke Dragons, can you effectively Rebuke twice as many Red Dragons?

You have twice as many attempts, effectively, yes.  I would imagine that this wouldn't affect the total HD worth of creatures you could have commanded, however.
"A witty saying proves nothing." --Voltaire

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #89 on: February 25, 2011, 06:30:46 PM »
I've finally tracked down the rule on LA and epic progressions.  It's on page 209 of the Dungeon Master's Guide, in the Monsters as Epic Characters section.  You use ECL. 

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #90 on: February 25, 2011, 06:38:41 PM »

I will admit that it is badly thought out but which part of D&D is well thought out?

RAW will either be monsters have a lower skill rank cap than they should or all monsters with more than 20 HD need to have their stats redone.
Savage species backs up the web article.
Planetouched Handbook

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #91 on: February 25, 2011, 06:45:57 PM »

You have twice as many attempts, effectively, yes.  I would imagine that this wouldn't affect the total HD worth of creatures you could have commanded, however.

I meant HD, sorry that wasn't clear.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: February 25, 2011, 06:52:39 PM »
We still have a problem with high HD creatures having the wrong saves, the DMG has an exeption for BAB but some creatures have lower saves than they should.

The Tarrasque has a will save of +20

48 HD of magical beast mean +6 for the first 20 and then +14 for the rest. This is fine until you note that it also has a +2 from wisdom and another +2 from Iron Will for total +24.

Assuming you stick with poor saves for the 28 additional levels you end at +16 for HD +4 from wisdom and iron will for a total +20 as in the creatures table.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #93 on: February 25, 2011, 07:36:03 PM »
We still have a problem with high HD creatures having the wrong saves, the DMG has an exeption for BAB but some creatures have lower saves than they should.

The Tarrasque has a will save of +20

48 HD of magical beast mean +6 for the first 20 and then +14 for the rest. This is fine until you note that it also has a +2 from wisdom and another +2 from Iron Will for total +24.

Assuming you stick with poor saves for the 28 additional levels you end at +16 for HD +4 from wisdom and iron will for a total +20 as in the creatures table.
Racial HD don't follow epic progressions.  You forgot that in your calculation. 

A31: You have two control pools, so yes, you can control twice as many HD of Dragons with the Fire subtype.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: February 25, 2011, 07:41:35 PM »

That is what the argument is, where does it say they don't.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #95 on: February 25, 2011, 07:58:55 PM »

That is what the argument is, where does it say they don't.
The MM, actually.  This is why the Tarrasque has a BAB of 48 instead of 34, for example.  The exact location uses a Titan as refrence, and then says that iteritive attacks cap out at 4.

I believe, however, that the question was "when do characters with racial HD and LA start using epic progressions?", not wether or not racial HD follow them.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #96 on: February 25, 2011, 08:56:04 PM »
Q32:  The Kuo-toa Leviathan (Underdark) receives its WIS bonus to AC as an insight unnamed bonus, similar to a Saint's insight bonus.  Are there any other creatures that have this (or similar ability), preferably as an (Ex) special quality?  (This is for a MoMF character.)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 08:57:52 PM by Ithamar »
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #97 on: February 25, 2011, 08:57:21 PM »
Q32:  The Kuo-toa Leviathan (Underdark) receives its WIS bonus to AC as an insight bonus, much like a Saint.  Are there any other creatures that have this (or similar ability), preferably as an (Ex) special quality?  (This is for a MoMF character.)
Gloura get Cha to AC and saves. Does that count?

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #98 on: February 25, 2011, 08:59:08 PM »
Is Unearthly Grace (Ex) by chance?  Or I guess I can go check myself... :p

Edit:  Dang, it's (Su).
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: February 25, 2011, 09:02:55 PM »
The MM, actually.  This is why the Tarrasque has a BAB of 48 instead of 34, for example.  The exact location uses a Titan as refrence, and then says that iteritive attacks cap out at 4.
[/quote]

The section from the DMG (Not MM I think) makes a specific note about BAB but says nothing about saves. As you use Epic progression unless otherwise noted for creatures with a character level over 20 and saves from RHD arent otherwise noted the tarrasque should have 20 HD of poor will saves and 28 HD of good.

My argument is that the term Character level is used interchangeably by the authors (probably unintentionally) to mean total of your Class Levels and Total HD (from Class and Race).