Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 23: You know the drill  (Read 186569 times)

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
Re: Ask a Simple Question 23: You know the drill
« Reply #540 on: March 17, 2011, 06:59:24 PM »
Q 187
Is this feat as bad as I think it is?

Mastery of the Silver Void (Player's Guide to Eberron, page 126): Automatically quicken any conjuration (teleportation) spell at -9 caster level.

As in, can't even actually use any conjuration (teleportation) spells until you're 9 levels past the level you get access to them? (IIRC, there's a line in the PHB about needing a minimum caster level to cast spells of certain levels.)

A187
Yes. That line is on page 171. It's in the middle of the section on Caster Level. The feat sounds like it wouldn't be terrible at high levels, but there are better ways to accomplish free quickened spell shenanigans that don't set you back like this.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #541 on: March 17, 2011, 07:08:37 PM »
A 189

Bluff vs. Sense Motive is most appropiate, I'd say.
Sounds good to me.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #542 on: March 17, 2011, 07:37:35 PM »
Q 187
Is this feat as bad as I think it is?

Mastery of the Silver Void (Player's Guide to Eberron, page 126): Automatically quicken any conjuration (teleportation) spell at -9 caster level.

As in, can't even actually use any conjuration (teleportation) spells until you're 9 levels past the level you get access to them? (IIRC, there's a line in the PHB about needing a minimum caster level to cast spells of certain levels.)

A187
Yes. That line is on page 171. It's in the middle of the section on Caster Level. The feat sounds like it wouldn't be terrible at high levels, but there are better ways to accomplish free quickened spell shenanigans that don't set you back like this.
or just use one of the many ways to boost your Cl.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #543 on: March 17, 2011, 09:32:32 PM »
Q 190 Is there an item that gives you tongues at-will? If not, how would you go about making a ring of that? Or better yet, what slot would be best suited for that? Maybe a helmet?

genuine

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #544 on: March 17, 2011, 10:24:10 PM »
A 189

Bluff vs. Sense Motive is most appropiate, I'd say.
Sounds good to me.
Perhaps a straight up diplomacy check to improve the villain's disposition towards the PC. If the villain feels a bit more friendly he'll be willing to talk or give little favors more easily (last meal, similar).

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #545 on: March 18, 2011, 12:28:23 AM »
Q 175: If someone reads from a nether scroll (Lost Empire of Faerun) could they gain a level in an arcane casting class they don't qualify for?
Bump
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #546 on: March 18, 2011, 12:32:56 AM »
Q 175: If someone reads from a nether scroll (Lost Empire of Faerun) could they gain a level in an arcane casting class they don't qualify for?
Bump

No. Your XP total is set to the mid-point for next level, and you have to take a level in an arcane spellcasting class. No where does it state that you get to ignore prerequisites when taking this level.
BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #547 on: March 18, 2011, 01:05:48 AM »
Q180
Are there extant rules penalizing the perception skills (Spot, Search, Listen) based on movement? I've had more than one player ask about making Spot/Listen checks while at a dead run.
bump
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #548 on: March 18, 2011, 01:06:33 AM »
Q 191 Just read up on Plane Shift and tuning forks, but I don't see a cost. How much are the tuning forks?

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #549 on: March 18, 2011, 01:23:54 AM »
Q180
Are there extant rules penalizing the perception skills (Spot, Search, Listen) based on movement? I've had more than one player ask about making Spot/Listen checks while at a dead run.
bump

Not in the PHB. I don't recall seeing any elsewhere, either.

Honestly, unless they are moving ridiculously fast (to the degree that their eyes are being irritated by the air moving past them*, it shouldn't matter.

*[spoiler]Yes I know, they're moving through the air and the air itself is stationary outside of wind, but that kind of semantics nitpicking is retarded. :p[/spoiler]

Q 191 Just read up on Plane Shift and tuning forks, but I don't see a cost. How much are the tuning forks?

They're not a costly material component, so you technically can just say you have them in your spell component pouch. Or take Eschew Materials and just not care.

They are supposed to be quest-hooks that you need to go find if you want to plane shift anywhere other than your home plane. Now, most DMs I've seen handwave them like all other inexpensive material components, which works because frankly the whole "traveling the planes is rare and mysterious and requires lots of involved questing" schtick goes out the window when 9th-level wizards can literally call outsiders who can plane shift as a spell-like ability (and thus get to laugh at things like material components) and order them to be a taxi. You'll note they can do this right at the same time Clerics get plane shift, so at no point do you actually have to rely on the plane shift spell, ever.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 01:32:03 AM by Echoes »
BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #550 on: March 18, 2011, 01:56:25 AM »
Q 192: I'm creating a custom version of the fly spell, that occupies both hands (No weapons or somantic components) and has clumsy maneuverability for an increased fly speed, would a flight speed of 200 with the ability to run be unreasonable as a third level spell?
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

godzilla5939

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #551 on: March 18, 2011, 02:17:57 AM »
Q 193 Is magical beast wild shape worth taking instead of magic feats for a druid?

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #552 on: March 18, 2011, 04:21:41 AM »
Q 193 Is magical beast wild shape worth taking instead of magic feats for a druid?
Depends entirely on your DM, and how many books he lets you rifle through to pick out some select forms.  That said, so long as you're taking Natural Spell at 6th level, the rest of your feats really don't matter that much.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #553 on: March 18, 2011, 07:57:04 AM »
Depends entirely on your DM, and how many books he lets you rifle through to pick out some select forms.  That said, so long as you're taking Natural Spell at 6th level, the rest of your feats really don't matter that much.
It's epic.  As long as you pick up epic spellcasting first, sure, knock yourself out.  Hellwasp swarm is a pretty cool magical beast form.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #554 on: March 18, 2011, 02:21:59 PM »
Q 185: The Wild Hunter has a megaloceros mount, and the Trample feat.  Trample lets your mount make a hoof attack as you overrun your target, but a megaloceros doesn't have a hoof attack.  But it does get a stampede ability, which is functionally similar to trample, it is just contingent upon there being at least 5 of them...

RAW, does this feat do such a Wild Hunter no good?

Would it be amiss to rule that the megalocerus can trample for 1d4+5 or 1d3+5 damage?

Q 186: The mounted combat feat states:
becomes the regular AC.)
Does this feat work when the mount is struck by a touch attack effect (Eldritch Blast, for example)?  It notes "regular AC," though I imagine this was just short-sightedness on the part of the game writers.
Bump?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Scrollreader

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #555 on: March 18, 2011, 03:41:26 PM »
A186: if your ride check is higher, then yes.  The parenthetical is an example.  The previous line is the actual mechanics.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #556 on: March 18, 2011, 04:50:54 PM »
becomes the regular AC.)
Does this feat work when the mount is struck by a touch attack effect (Eldritch Blast, for example)?  It notes "regular AC," though I imagine this was just short-sightedness on the part of the game writers.
Bump?
[/quote]
I'd say no, as the text clearly states the ride check is the mounts new Regular AC, touch AC doesn't change.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #557 on: March 18, 2011, 05:34:28 PM »
becomes the regular AC.)
Bump?
I'd say no, as the text clearly states the ride check is the mounts new Regular AC, touch AC doesn't change.
[/quote]It could also be argued that a touch attack targets the creature's normal touch AC.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #558 on: March 18, 2011, 06:08:18 PM »
Quote from: SRD
becomes the regular AC.)
Bump?
It could also be argued that a touch attack targets the creature's normal touch AC.
[/quote]
It's never stated that the increase to the mounts AC has any sort of type or duration, for a single attack it's AC, (Not touch or flat footed AC) is changed to the result of a ride check.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #559 on: March 18, 2011, 06:10:24 PM »
Quote from: SRD
becomes the regular AC.)
Does this feat work when the mount is struck by a touch attack effect (Eldritch Blast, for example)?  It notes "regular AC," though I imagine this was just short-sightedness on the part of the game writers.
Bump?
It could also be argued that a touch attack targets the creature's normal touch AC.
It's never stated that the increase to the mounts AC has any sort of type or duration, for a single attack it's AC, (Not touch or flat footed AC) is changed to the result of a ride check.

Actually it "Essencially" becomes your AC, what it actually does is negate the attack completely if I am reading that correctly.