Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 23: You know the drill  (Read 186323 times)

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question 23: You know the drill
« Reply #400 on: March 09, 2011, 08:16:57 PM »
Edited to resolve ambiguous grammar:
Q 132: Any quick recommendations for feats to give to animal companions?

Wild cohort, so you can have a dog for your dog

Yo dawg...
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #401 on: March 09, 2011, 08:36:33 PM »

Yo dawg...
I heard u like yo dawgs so I put a yo dawg, I heard you like...
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #402 on: March 09, 2011, 10:43:02 PM »

Yo dawg...
I heard u like yo dawgs so I put a yo dawg, I heard you like...

:lmao
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #403 on: March 09, 2011, 10:44:50 PM »
Q133: Any recommendations for DMing a party of players who like to think of themselves as good optimizers? Not quite at the level where they're all trying to play Wizards, but still actively trying to break the game while following the rule of cool.

Ideally, I'd love a how-to guide or something, or this might not be a simple question.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 11:21:49 PM by Generic_PC »
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #404 on: March 09, 2011, 10:49:50 PM »
Q133: Any recommendations for DMing a party of players who like to think of themselves as good optimizers? Not quite at the level where they're all trying to play Wizards, but still actively trying to break the game while following the rule of cool.

Ideally, I'd love a how-to guide or something, or this might not be a simple question.

Ban the first few tiers.

Q134: I want to summon a Sibriex so it can give me some free Fiendish grafts, how do I do so without immediately getting mindraped just by looking at it?
Q135: Are there evil creatures with Miracle?  Preferably something I can Gate.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 11:20:30 PM by Sobolev »
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #405 on: March 09, 2011, 11:25:43 PM »
A135: Presumably you can gate a Cleric 17 Half-Devil?

These players aren't good optimizers, and I don't feel like banning the top two tiers. Do you have more concrete advice?

For perspective, I don't expect any Wizards to ban evocation, I don't expect any Druids to be searching sourcebooks for broken animal companions/Wild Shape forms, and I don't expect any Sorcerers to polymorph into something that outclasses the party fighter.
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

Emo_Duck

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #406 on: March 09, 2011, 11:43:35 PM »
Q135: If a creature has the Constrict (Ex) ability, can it only deal lethal damage, or can it choose to deal non-lethal damage? In the case of Improved Grab, does it depend on what 'weapon' was used to initiate the grapple? If the creature cannot deal non-lethal damage via Constrict, yet wants to subdue an opponent, must it attempt a regular grapple attempt to deal damage as if with an unarmed strike?

I'm asking mostly in regards to the Tsochar this time:
[spoiler]Constrict (Ex): A tsochar deals 2d4+2 points of damage with a successful grapple check. When a tsochar deals damage by means of its constrict attack, it injects its victim with poison.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a tsochar must hit
with two tentacle attacks. It can then attempt to start a grapple
as a free action without provoking attacks of opportunity. If
it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can constrict.[/spoiler]

Scrollreader

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #407 on: March 09, 2011, 11:51:40 PM »
Q136: Is theres a master equipment list/collection somewhere for any/all of the following:  Special materials, Exotic and Unusual Weapons and Armor, Tools and Masterwork tools, and alchemical items?  If not, is there an interest in one?  I'm about halfway through an Eberron specific one, atm, and just realized I might well be wasting my time.  Alternatively, if it's useful, I'm happy to offer it up.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #408 on: March 10, 2011, 02:28:43 AM »
Q 137: Assuming I reincarnate a creature with a flight speed, Claws, Spell like abilities, Extraordinarily abilities, Super natural abilities, and racial traits that do no include those or stat adjustments (Human bonus feat, skill points ect.), does it keep any of that when it becomes an elf?
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #409 on: March 10, 2011, 02:43:11 AM »
Q 137: Assuming I reincarnate a creature with a flight speed, Claws, Spell like abilities, Extraordinarily abilities, Super natural abilities, and racial traits that do no include those or stat adjustments (Human bonus feat, skill points ect.), does it keep any of that when it becomes an elf?

A 137: While reincarnate doesn't specifiy, for the sake of logic I'd rule no. But by a very strict reading of RAW, yes. Don't expect any sane DM to rule that way, though.

Q 138:[/i] Is there a Martial Telflammar Shadowlord re-write anywhere?
BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #410 on: March 10, 2011, 03:46:28 AM »
A 137: While reincarnate doesn't specifiy, for the sake of logic I'd rule no. But by a very strict reading of RAW, yes. Don't expect any sane DM to rule that way, though.
Wow, I thought there was some errata I was missing or something but in Raw that elf would still have the flight speed it got from being raptoran. :twitch
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #411 on: March 10, 2011, 04:06:27 AM »
Wow, I thought there was some errata I was missing or something but in Raw that elf would still have the flight speed it got from being raptoran. :twitch
It doesn't say you keep it, though.  There's a shortlist of what you're able to keep, and most of that isn't on there (it appears you keep racial bonus feats).
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Esgath

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #412 on: March 10, 2011, 04:22:32 AM »
Q 139: When do I know a monsters trait (construct traits, abberation traits, etc) with a knowledge (appropriate) check? And where in the rules can I read it?

Same for type and subtype.

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #413 on: March 10, 2011, 05:25:26 AM »
Q140: Are Rays considered touch spells/powers, so you could Deliver Touch Spells/Powers 'em to your familiar/psicrystal, etc?
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #414 on: March 10, 2011, 05:53:33 AM »
Q 139: When do I know a monsters trait (construct traits, abberation traits, etc) with a knowledge (appropriate) check? And where in the rules can I read it?

A 139: You can make an appropriate Knowledge check to attempt to know about a particular creature whenever you want to, without an action. You can't, however, roll another check (in order to get a higher result) until you've increased your ranks in that Knowledge skill by at least one.

Most DMs I've seen have you roll the check when you encounter a creature, but you could also roll to see what you know about them before setting out. In general, use some common sense - if a creature is mentioned in-game, you should get a check. Player's Handbook, pg. 79 has the info for Knowledge skills.
BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #415 on: March 10, 2011, 06:24:10 AM »
Q140: Are Rays considered touch spells/powers, so you could Deliver Touch Spells/Powers 'em to your familiar/psicrystal, etc?

No.  Touch spells are ones with a range of "touch."

JaronK

Esgath

« Reply #416 on: March 10, 2011, 06:31:41 AM »

A 139: You can make an appropriate Knowledge check to attempt to know about a particular creature whenever you want to, without an action. You can't, however, roll another check (in order to get a higher result) until you've increased your ranks in that Knowledge skill by at least one.

Most DMs I've seen have you roll the check when you encounter a creature, but you could also roll to see what you know about them before setting out. In general, use some common sense - if a creature is mentioned in-game, you should get a check. Player's Handbook, pg. 79 has the info for Knowledge skills.

Ok, sorry for the bad wording on my part.

Q 141: What is the DC of the knowledge check to get the information of the creatures traits? And where in the rules can I read it?

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #417 on: March 10, 2011, 06:53:42 AM »

No.  Touch spells are ones with a range of "touch."

JaronK
Thought so. I'm sad panda now. /sob Ty.
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #418 on: March 10, 2011, 10:29:16 AM »
Q 141: What is the DC of the knowledge check to get the information of the creatures traits? And where in the rules can I read it?

A141
you can find the info on the SRD.  Here's the relevant rules info (to my knowledge, this is about as specific as it gets):
Quote from: SRD

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

Esgath

« Reply #419 on: March 10, 2011, 11:27:06 AM »

A141
you can find the info on the SRD.  Here's the relevant rules info (to my knowledge, this is about as specific as it gets):
Quote from: SRD

:/ I hoped there were more specific rules to this. So arguably it would be a check against 10 + HD to know what type, and a subsequent check against 10 or 15 to know what that type/subtype/trait means. amidoinitrite?