Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 23: You know the drill  (Read 186557 times)

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question 23: You know the drill
« Reply #260 on: March 04, 2011, 02:24:46 PM »
Unless something under maneuvers specifically disallows it, it should be fine, since you're preparing it under two different maneuver mechanics.
You actually cannot know the same maneuver morethan once, and initiator class is irrelevant to that. Google Idiot Crusader for a link to theclarification to that, since it's the core rule that makes it work.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #261 on: March 04, 2011, 02:28:47 PM »
Why in the world couldn't you know the same manuever more than once if you have 2 different iniator classes?  That doesn't make any sense.
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #262 on: March 04, 2011, 02:43:43 PM »
because WotC said so. I believe they said it wasbecause a maneuver is done the same no matter how you initiate, only that your recovery changed. Like I said, google it.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #263 on: March 04, 2011, 02:47:45 PM »
Q85 I want bot the evil and good subtype. Ideas other then rituals?

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
« Reply #264 on: March 04, 2011, 03:21:33 PM »
What does the base race have to be?  Or does it not matter?

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #265 on: March 04, 2011, 03:22:26 PM »
show me what you got

SneeR

• Bi-Curious George
  • Sneering
« Reply #266 on: March 04, 2011, 03:29:50 PM »
Q86
The feat Born of the Three Thunders from Complete Arcane says that, whenever a spell you cast of the electricity descriptor deals damaage, you can declare it to be a spell of the Three Thunders. The targets must make a Fortitude save then reflex to avoid being stunned and knocked prone. It says that the caster also becomes dazed for one round.

How does this work with spells that deal damage every round?
Specifically, My sorcerer uses Energy Substitution (Electricity) on Kelgore's Grave Mist, then apply Born of the Three Thunders to it. This has 1 of 3 affects that I can tell. Which is it?

1) Kelgore's Grave Mist stuns, etc. the targets in the first round, and I am dazed in the first round. The targets then only take damage the rest of the rounds, no more stunning for them or dazing for me.

2) They are stunned every round they take damage, but I have to declare it as a Thre Thunders spell each time, and I am consequently dazed every round that they are stunned since I freshly declared it to be a Three Thunders spell.

or  my personal favorite:
3) They are stunned every round they take damage, but I am dazed only the first round when I declared it to be a Three Thunders spell.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 03:32:22 PM by SneeR »
The answer to everything:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
SneeR
[spoiler]
I don't know if the designers meant you to take Skill Focus for every feat.
Sounds a little OP.

The monk is clearly the best class, no need to optimize here. What you are doing is overkill.

It's like people who have no idea what a turn signal is. They ruin it for everyone else.
When another driver brandishes a holy symbol and begins glowing with divine light, seek cover or get spattered with zombie brains. I do not see what is so complicated about this.
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #267 on: March 04, 2011, 03:38:46 PM »
The spell "concludes" with the stun/knockdown.  So you'd get it at the end of the last round of the spell

You can only "declare" the spel lwhile casting.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #268 on: March 04, 2011, 03:47:28 PM »
Q87

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
« Reply #269 on: March 04, 2011, 04:07:08 PM »
show me what you got
Sanctified Creature template from BoED states you gain the [Good] subtype and lose Baatezue, Tana'ri, or Yugoloth subtypes.  However, it does NOT state you lose the [Evil] subtype.  So take the [Evil] creature of your choice and slap on this template and there you go.

Other options might include trying to do some persisting shenanigans with Infernal Transformation and Holy Transformation, both of which give you the aligned subtype.

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #270 on: March 04, 2011, 04:28:31 PM »
Q88: If Earth Devotion was At Will, rather than 1/day would it be good?  Binders can build up a new use every 30 seconds of game time for use later in the day by binding a Vestige that gives 1 turn per five rounds.  While the Wizard is learning spells just build up 40 charges of it or something.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

Rejakor

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #271 on: March 04, 2011, 04:30:24 PM »
Q89:  What is an easy way, preferably without taking levels in something, taking a template, or taking an expensive PrC, to get all my spells to have the [Evil] descriptor?

Arcane caster.

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #272 on: March 04, 2011, 04:37:13 PM »
Q89:  What is an easy way, preferably without taking levels in something, taking a template, or taking an expensive PrC, to get all my spells to have the [Evil] descriptor?

Arcane caster.

Corrupt Spell, BoVD pg47
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #273 on: March 04, 2011, 04:40:39 PM »

Arcane caster.
Aligned Casting ACF from some dragon magazine works too.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #274 on: March 04, 2011, 05:07:16 PM »
Q88: If Earth Devotion was At Will, rather than 1/day would it be good?  Binders can build up a new use every 30 seconds of game time for use later in the day by binding a Vestige that gives 1 turn per five rounds.  While the Wizard is learning spells just build up 40 charges of it or something.
Doesn't work like that.  You don't gain 1 turn attempt every 5 rounds, you gain 1 turn attempt and then five rounds after you use it you gain another.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

SeekingKnight

• Curious George
« Reply #275 on: March 04, 2011, 05:08:27 PM »
Q90

When you take a domain that grants a skill(s) and you trade it in for a devotion feat do you lose the skill(s) associated with that domain?

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #276 on: March 04, 2011, 05:18:31 PM »
Doesn't work like that.  You don't gain 1 turn attempt every 5 rounds, you gain 1 turn attempt and then five rounds after you use it you gain another.

And the Devotion says "Pay 1 turn attempt, get 1 more use per day" it doesn't say "You may pay 1 turn attempt to use this ability again if you already used it"

Therefore, at the beginning of the day you use a turn attempt and Earth Devotion becomes 2/day (for today), then you use another turn attempt 5 rounds later and it becomes 3/day.  After it's about 50/day you bind some other vestige with your little phylactery and move on with your life imo.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #277 on: March 04, 2011, 06:01:10 PM »
Q 91 It says "Using a skill might take a round, take no time, or take several rounds or even longer. Most skill uses are standard actions, move actions, or full-round actions." How do you know when to use what action for what skill? Example: Could someone use a move action to Spot an invisible creature at DC 20+, or would you need a standard of full-round for that?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #278 on: March 04, 2011, 06:04:15 PM »
Q 91 It says "Using a skill might take a round, take no time, or take several rounds or even longer. Most skill uses are standard actions, move actions, or full-round actions." How do you know when to use what action for what skill? Example: Could someone use a move action to Spot an invisible creature at DC 20+, or would you need a standard of full-round for that?
Check the "Action:" in the skill description.

For example
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #279 on: March 04, 2011, 06:28:42 PM »
I'm good with that.

Q 92 Just read the Ring of Negative Protection in the MIC. Am I wrong in thinking that it basically works just like Soulfire from BoED? I'm mostly referring to the "You also cannot gain negative levels" part of it. Or is that just for negative energy planes?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.