Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 23: You know the drill  (Read 186344 times)

Rejakor

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question 23: You know the drill
« Reply #220 on: March 02, 2011, 11:01:01 PM »
Q 68:  Is there any list or compendium of useful feats?  Just generally useful feats.  I see lots of things mentioned once in some random thread that sound really interesting, and then when I try to dig them out months later when I have something that would love a feat like that, I can't find them.  Is there a handbook or master list somewhere for them?

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
« Reply #221 on: March 03, 2011, 12:27:12 AM »
A 68

There is no big list of feats sorted by usefulness per se, but you can always check the handbooks section for the class/concept you are trying to optimize.

Q 69

My party is being tasked with going into an underground city infested with (among other things) multiple vampires and a fairly powerful lich. I was firing from the hip, but I managed to get each character a 25K advance, enough to buy a +1 shirt of soulfire, which is already cleared with the DM. We have an entire week until our next session though, is there a more cost effective way to get a long-lasting protection from negative energy and level drain?

sir_argenon

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #222 on: March 03, 2011, 12:45:56 AM »
Q70: is there a feat, or item that enables you to sneak attack at a greater range than 30'... for a bow archer?

Bard

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #223 on: March 03, 2011, 01:16:47 AM »
Q71: Is there a way to get the TWF chain of feats without dex? (I wanted to build a COS/STR based Dwarf TWF'er)
Edit: without a lot of Ranger levels ofc.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 01:19:25 AM by Bard »
[Spoiler]
His old DM was on crack. He could take levels in freaking Dread Necromancer if he wanted to and no rule in the universe would keep him from doing so.
Rule 0?
Which, I guess, would be 'no rule,' since none = 0.
What's funny is he always brings up Rule 0. I actually had to ask him what that was, and without blinking an eye he gave me the most detailed explanation I'd ever heard for a rule. It was like he was in a trance when he spoke. Looking it up, it just said "The unspoken DM gets final say/veto anything he wants rule."
You're such a kind man, for taking in abused unfortunates and rehabilitating them.
[/spoiler]

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #224 on: March 03, 2011, 01:17:49 AM »
A71 Gloves of the balanced hand is a good start. MIC :)
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #225 on: March 03, 2011, 01:22:29 AM »
Q70: is there a feat, or item that enables you to sneak attack at a greater range than 30'... for a bow archer?
(eternal) wand of Sniper's Shot.  No range limit on sneak attack.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

SneeR

• Bi-Curious George
  • Sneering
« Reply #226 on: March 03, 2011, 02:45:13 AM »
A70
Feat from PH2:
Crossbow Sniper lets you add 1/2 DEX mod to damage and increases sneak attack range to 60 ft.
The answer to everything:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
SneeR
[spoiler]
I don't know if the designers meant you to take Skill Focus for every feat.
Sounds a little OP.

The monk is clearly the best class, no need to optimize here. What you are doing is overkill.

It's like people who have no idea what a turn signal is. They ruin it for everyone else.
When another driver brandishes a holy symbol and begins glowing with divine light, seek cover or get spattered with zombie brains. I do not see what is so complicated about this.
[/spoiler]

Epimetheus

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #227 on: March 03, 2011, 07:09:47 AM »
Q 72a Assuming your deity allowed it, can Miracle be used to get inherent bonuses similarly to Wish (including paying the 5000 XP)?

Q 72b What happens if you craft an item that causes you to lose enough XP to lose a level? Like when crafting a +5 tome. Or scribing a scroll of a spell with an XP cost?

Q 72c Was there a rule that said you couldn't cast a spell that causes you to lose enough XP to lose a level?

Q 72d Okay, so you can probably just hold off leveling and store up XP (PH 174). Say you wouldn't get much of a boost from your next character level(s). If you hold off from leveling, do you advance in XP as if you were still your original level? For people who are need to dip in weak classes, use up excess action points, or crafters who want to catch up on XP, is this a valid tactic?

Q 72e Can you use (under Magic-Psionic transparency) Miracle/Wish/Limited Wish to replicate psionic powers?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 08:17:38 AM by Epimetheus »

Emo_Duck

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #228 on: March 03, 2011, 08:48:56 AM »
Q 73: Do damaging line spells/effects continue through walls if they deal enough damage to break them? The lightning bolt spell specifies that it does, but is it a general rule?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #229 on: March 03, 2011, 09:25:22 AM »
Q 73: Do damaging line spells/effects continue through walls if they deal enough damage to break them? The lightning bolt spell specifies that it does, but is it a general rule?
Generally I don't think instantaneous effects do, since they lose line of effect
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #230 on: March 03, 2011, 10:00:33 AM »
A 68

There is no big list of feats sorted by usefulness per se, but you can always check the handbooks section for the class/concept you are trying to optimize.

Q 69

My party is being tasked with going into an underground city infested with (among other things) multiple vampires and a fairly powerful lich. I was firing from the hip, but I managed to get each character a 25K advance, enough to buy a +1 shirt of soulfire, which is already cleared with the DM. We have an entire week until our next session though, is there a more cost effective way to get a long-lasting protection from negative energy and level drain?
Possibly. Ring of Negative Energy Protection? AFB, but I believe it's cheaper than +5 armor. Depending on your party, a scroll of mass negative energy protection or mass death ward, but those have time limits, so...
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #231 on: March 03, 2011, 12:36:09 PM »
A 68

Q 69

Possibly. Ring of Negative Energy Protection? AFB, but I believe it's cheaper than +5 armor. Depending on your party, a scroll of mass negative energy protection or mass death ward, but those have time limits, so...

There is a crystal of life keeping in MiC.  The greater one costs 5k and gives you +5 to saves (of that kind) and lets you reroll 1 save per day of that kind.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

Emo_Duck

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #232 on: March 03, 2011, 12:47:17 PM »
Generally I don't think instantaneous effects do, since they lose line of effect

An idea I've be pondering as regards to a psion character is manifesting Schism, then having the schism ready an action to manifest Wall of Ectoplasm to interrupt a dragon's breath attack (this particular dragon is a strange sort, so regular energy resistance/immunity may or may not work). Walls of Ectoplasm generally aren't very sturdy, so they'd probably get destroyed by the breath attack - but if they at least prevent me from being hit, then I'd conveniently have line of effect to the dragon on my turn afterwards.

muhammed

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #233 on: March 03, 2011, 03:25:48 PM »
Q74: I know this isn't really a life or death question but I was wondering how you all would go about figuring out what the realistic starting age for a 17th level character. What I mean is if a 1st level Human Fighter is 15+1d6 years...How would you figure out how old that 15+1d6 year Human is after 17 levels of adventuring?

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #234 on: March 03, 2011, 03:30:01 PM »
Q74: I know this isn't really a life or death question but I was wondering how you all would go about figuring out what the realistic starting age for a 17th level character. What I mean is if a 1st level Human Fighter is 15+1d6 years...How would you figure out how old that 15+1d6 year Human is after 17 levels of adventuring?

I think it was worked out that it takes about 6 weeks of solid adventuring to hit level 20...

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #235 on: March 03, 2011, 03:58:32 PM »

I think it was worked out that it takes about 6 weeks of solid adventuring to hit level 20...

It's 5ish encounters a day, and I think it takes 17 (approx) to level?  I don't actually know where my brain got 17 from, that's just what popped in to my head.  So that's like 4 days per level.   I guess the answer is basically "However old you want, based on how often you think the character was adventuring and gaining levels, and how often you think he was sitting at home reading comic books"

Q75: If it takes 3 turn undeads being expended in order to use Animal Devotion 1 more time, do you have to spend them all at once or can you spend 1 turn undead in 1 round, and 2 turn undeads in some other round?  Also if you read the domain feats thing, it says you "permanently sacrifice uses of your turn undead" which could imply you just turn undead less times per day forever.  Kinda weird. This part has been errataed.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 04:04:29 PM by Sobolev »
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #236 on: March 03, 2011, 04:07:34 PM »

It's 5ish encounters a day, and I think it takes 17 (approx) to level?  I don't actually know where my brain got 17 from, that's just what popped in to my head.  So that's like 4 days per level.   I guess the answer is basically "However old you want, based on how often you think the character was adventuring and gaining levels, and how often you think he was sitting at home reading comic books"

Its 13.5 encounters/level if i remember correctly.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #237 on: March 03, 2011, 04:13:56 PM »

13.3 repeating, actually.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #238 on: March 03, 2011, 06:19:00 PM »

13.3 repeating, actually.
Assuming they are of all CRs equal to your ECL
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #239 on: March 03, 2011, 06:29:38 PM »
Q65: Does being mounted grant you a type of pounce?

No, but there are abilities that give you that benefit.  Off the top of my head, halfling outrider (Complete Warrior 38) and kishi charger (Oriental Adventures 42) both have abilities called full mounted attack that do it.