Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 23: You know the drill  (Read 186342 times)

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: Ask a Simple Question 23: You know the drill
« Reply #140 on: February 27, 2011, 05:37:36 PM »
Q46
One of my friends is an Elan PsyWar with Psicrystal Affinity.  He claims that he can hold onto his flying psicrystal and use it as a mount.  I disagree, because a psicrystal has 1 STR and he weighs over 200lb with gear.

What is the verdict on this?
He is too fat.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #141 on: February 27, 2011, 05:44:04 PM »
What is the verdict on this?
Vastly more weight then heavy load, the psycrystal can't even walk, let alone fly.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #142 on: February 27, 2011, 05:47:54 PM »
In other words

[spoiler]

Why horsie not go fast? Go fast horsie, not slooow![/spoiler]
Planetouched Handbook

darrow

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #143 on: February 27, 2011, 06:59:09 PM »
Q47:
Where are the rules for determining starting encounter distances?
Assume the PCs are on a featureless plain in broad daylight. A medium dragon flies in from the horizon to fight them. Is there a rule for using spot or something to decide when they notice the dragon? From a common sense perspective, I'm not sure that they'd automatically notice an airborne medium creature at a quarter mile off (roughly max longbow range). I'm trying to decide how many rounds PCs would get to shoot at the dragon before it got into breath weapon or melee range.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #144 on: February 27, 2011, 07:01:25 PM »
Q47:
Assume the PCs are on a featureless plain in broad daylight. A medium dragon flies in from the horizon to fight them. Is there a rule for using spot or something to decide when they notice the dragon? From a common sense perspective, I'm not sure that they'd automatically notice an airborne medium creature at a quarter mile off (roughly max longbow range). I'm trying to decide how many rounds PCs would get to shoot at the dragon before it got into breath weapon or melee range.
Yes, in fact, there are.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/wilderness.htm
Planetouched Handbook

darrow

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #145 on: February 27, 2011, 07:28:58 PM »
Q47:
Yes, in fact, there are.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/wilderness.htm

Thanks. This gets me most of the way there:

Quote from: SRD

So what is the DC for said spot check?

Quote from: SRD http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/spot.htm
Spot checks may be called for to determine the distance at which an encounter begins. A penalty applies on such checks, depending on the distance between the two individuals or groups, and an additional penalty may apply if the character making the Spot check is distracted (not concentrating on being observant).

I assume the -1 penalty for 10' of range mentioned in the spot skill doesn't actually apply to my scenario? The average maximum distance will be 840 feet, and I don't think only characters who can make a spot check at a -84 penalty are expected to notice others at that range.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #146 on: February 27, 2011, 09:51:44 PM »
Q 43 RAW, can you use a Revenance + Revivify combo on someone who's been dead for two rounds or more? If so, what's the reasoning you can get around the 1 round limit on Revivify?

Q44: Yes, and the reasoning is that at the end of Revenance they die again.  Thus as long as you revive them within 1 round of them dying from that, jackpot.
That is some major cheese, right there.

It might seem that way, but consider it this way.  If your character dies, and 1 round later you cast Revivify.  Cool.  The next time your character dies, someone casts Revivify within 1 round.  The GM says "Nope, sorry, it's only been 1 round since he died, but the time he died BEFORE that, was actually 3 months ago."  Doesn't make much sense does it?  I actually don't think it's very cheesy, and is just some nice synergy between two spells.
Yeah, but that doesn't count. You can argue that one, and win without any actual explanation. I'd like to see someone try that with True Resurrection, and say it didn't count. Where as Revenance is basically an illusion of bringing someone back to life. It's just like a knight's last stand. You're already dead. You're just a puppet without strings. I still call foul on it. It's still cheese.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #147 on: February 27, 2011, 10:18:05 PM »
bump
Q44: Isn't there a flaw/trait/feat that exchanges darkvision for lowlight?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 10:34:52 PM by PlzBreakMyCampaign »
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #148 on: February 27, 2011, 10:20:58 PM »
Q44: Isn't there a flaw/trait/feat that exchanges darkvision for lowlight?
Yes. Beady eyes. Have low-light vision instead, -2 search, spot. Dragon 328

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #149 on: February 27, 2011, 10:34:38 PM »
p44 ty

Q48: Where is that lovely feat that allows alter form to pick and chose the best physical stats so dragons don't feel so puny walking around as humans?
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #150 on: February 27, 2011, 10:38:03 PM »
I assume the -1 penalty for 10' of range mentioned in the spot skill doesn't actually apply to my scenario? The average maximum distance will be 840 feet, and I don't think only characters who can make a spot check at a -84 penalty are expected to notice others at that range.
It'd be opposed by a hide check, and if something lacks cover or concealment (as they most likely would), then they are automatically spotted by any spot check, even if the check result is a -88 (assuming 1 Wis, no ranks, no misc bonuses, and spotting at 840 feet).  The exception would be those with HiPS, and in this case we're probably talking about a Ranger's HiPS.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #151 on: February 27, 2011, 10:38:46 PM »
Q 43 RAW, can you use a Revenance + Revivify combo on someone who's been dead for two rounds or more? If so, what's the reasoning you can get around the 1 round limit on Revivify?

Q44: Yes, and the reasoning is that at the end of Revenance they die again.  Thus as long as you revive them within 1 round of them dying from that, jackpot.
That is some major cheese, right there.

It might seem that way, but consider it this way.  If your character dies, and 1 round later you cast Revivify.  Cool.  The next time your character dies, someone casts Revivify within 1 round.  The GM says "Nope, sorry, it's only been 1 round since he died, but the time he died BEFORE that, was actually 3 months ago."  Doesn't make much sense does it?  I actually don't think it's very cheesy, and is just some nice synergy between two spells.
Yeah, but that doesn't count. You can argue that one, and win without any actual explanation. I'd like to see someone try that with True Resurrection, and say it didn't count. Where as Revenance is basically an illusion of bringing someone back to life. It's just like a knight's last stand. You're already dead. You're just a puppet without strings. I still call foul on it. It's still cheese.
You do realize that Revenance can only be cast within 1 round /caster level of death, right?

And you can't really argue that the spell doesn't really bring the target back to life.
She is alive (not undead) for the duration of the spell and can be healed normally, but dies as soon as the spell ends.
Planetouched Handbook

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #152 on: February 27, 2011, 10:47:08 PM »
p44 ty

Q48: Where is that lovely feat that allows alter form to pick and chose the best physical stats so dragons don't feel so puny walking around as humans?
Dragons of Eberron.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #153 on: February 27, 2011, 10:54:38 PM »
You do realize that Revenance can only be cast within 1 round /caster level of death, right?

And you can't really argue that the spell doesn't really bring the target back to life.
She is alive (not undead) for the duration of the spell and can be healed normally, but dies as soon as the spell ends.
I realize that very well, yes.

I can argue that it's only temporary, and it doesn't count for the 1 round that you need for Revivify.

I'll say it out flat. I can count on one hand how many DMs I know personally who'd allowed the two spells to work together like that. And I know a lot of DMs.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #154 on: February 27, 2011, 11:07:40 PM »

I can argue that it's only temporary, and it doesn't count for the 1 round that you need for Revivify.

I'll say it out flat. I can count on one hand how many DMs I know personally who'd allowed the two spells to work together like that. And I know a lot of DMs.
All life is temporary.  Just saying.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #155 on: February 27, 2011, 11:16:36 PM »
No offense, but I don't think your DMs are a good meter stick for... well, anything.
Planetouched Handbook

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #156 on: February 27, 2011, 11:52:38 PM »
No offense, but I don't think your DMs are a good meter stick for... well, anything.
You can't say that without actually experiencing their games. Regardless, I got the answer I was looking for.

Catty Nebulart

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #157 on: February 28, 2011, 01:15:27 AM »
Q49 Besides chameleon 2 what are the other ways to gain a floating feat?
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #158 on: February 28, 2011, 01:35:25 AM »
Q49 Besides chameleon 2 what are the other ways to gain a floating feat?
Be a hairy spider druid, cast Iconic Manifestation.  Of course, that's more of a way to assign all your feats on the fly than a floating feat.
Planetouched Handbook

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #159 on: February 28, 2011, 01:48:37 AM »

With some exceptions, all lives in D&D are temporary.