Author Topic: Question about BC spells  (Read 1082 times)

Xavier319

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Question about BC spells
« on: February 20, 2011, 09:08:55 PM »
Hey all, I'm running a game and I wanted some info about a few BC spells.  More specifically Evard's Black Tentacles, Web, Entangle, and the mystery Clinging Darkness.  I know that you have to take the save/grapple check/etc when the spell appears, and if you enter the AoE from outside of it.  But let's say you're in Evard's, you made the grapple check when it popped up and didnt get grabbed.  Do you have to make one at the beginning of each of your turns, or does it just count as difficult ground?  And for Web and such?  This is probably obvious, but I just wanted to make sure.  Thanks for the help!

-Xavier319

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Re: Question about BC spells
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 11:15:21 PM »
Generally you have to make a save/opposed grapple check at the start of each of your rounds if you are in the area. Tentacles + Solid fog is lethal because it makes actually escaping the tentacles near impossible for a lot of characters.

Follow up with vortex of teeth for extra fun.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 09:56:21 AM »
They each behave somewhat differently:

Entangle:
You save when it's cast.  You save each round on the caster's turn.  If you failed a save, you need to make a Str/Escape Artist check to break out.  If you're already free on your round, you can move through without a roll, albeit at half speed.  This one's pretty nasty because if you are stuck, you need to make a Str/EA check as a full-round action, and then make your save on the caster's turn in able to move next round.

If you run the numbers on a standard MM orc, against DC 14, it will only make both rolls about 7% of the time, assuming it fails it's first save.  This spell is ridiculously good for a 1st level spell.

Web:
You only roll a Reflex save when the spell is cast.  If you fail, you're stuck.  If you're stuck, you need to roll a Str/EA check to break free.  Once you're free, you need to roll Str/EA checks to be able to move at all.  You could be stuck a long time without a good Str or EA check.

EBT:
When the spell is cast, anyone in the area must make a grapple check or be grappled and take damage.  If you enter the area, you must make a check or be grappled and take damage.  On your round, you can roll a grapple check as a standard action to break free.  If you fail the check, you don't take damage.  If you succeed, you're free.  On your round, if you're free, you can move through the area at half speed.  On the caster's turn, the tentacles grapple attempt to grapple anyone in the area.  Each successful check grapples the creature and deals damage.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 11:03:03 AM »
EBT:
When the spell is cast, anyone in the area must make a grapple check or be grappled and take damage.  If you enter the area, you must make a check or be grappled and take damage.  On your round, you can roll a grapple check as a standard action to break free.  If you fail the check, you don't take damage.  If you succeed, you're free.  On your round, if you're free, you can move through the area at half speed.  On the caster's turn, the tentacles grapple attempt to grapple anyone in the area.  Each successful check grapples the creature and deals damage.

Escape from Grapple

You can escape a grapple by winning an opposed grapple check in place of making an attack. You can make an Escape Artist check in place of your grapple check if you so desire, but this requires a standard action.

Having multiple attacks a round lets you try to escape Evard's multiple times (though at that point you don't have a move left, so the difference is slight.) Standard for Escape Artist, yes.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.