Author Topic: No Spellcasters!?!?!? Thats Absurd! [3.5]  (Read 31781 times)

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
Re: No Spellcasters!?!?!? Thats Absurd! [3.5]
« Reply #140 on: July 22, 2008, 03:50:12 PM »
I agree on the dragon mag and unupdated 3.0 stuff :D

"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

atrocity05

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #141 on: July 22, 2008, 04:13:15 PM »
I understand what you're saying, but I personally do not have access to a lot of the 3.0 and Dragon Mag stuff (at least I don't know about them).  I've never played in a game with them and from the amount I've read on these forums there's a lot of stuff in them and I wouldn't even know where to begin.  The point of this game is to play in a party without being aided by casters, and I'm limiting the game similarly to the way I would limit any other normal game.  If you really really don't like it, you can try and grab another DM who would like to play it that way.

And yes, I did lift the complete restriction from ToM and put it on a case-by-case basis.

JanusJones

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #142 on: July 22, 2008, 04:18:29 PM »
How about this - we just tell you the effect of any 3.0 material we use, describing it in full on character sheets - would that work for you?  Otherwise we'll be pretty limited.  I think the only Dragon Mag stuff we've been thinking of using is one template and one weapon - very easy to explain - and the 3.0 stuff is limited to a race (Beguiler) and a feat (Headlong Rush) - also pretty basic.  We're all here to have a good time, right?  I personally promise to explain every last feat, race, template, or piece of equipment - in fact, pretty much ANYTHING - that comes from a source you don't know.  And when I say "explain," I mean WRITE OUT IN DETAIL and COMPLETELY - I know my rules, and I want to make sure you're fully up on everything the characters can or can't do.

Would that work?

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #143 on: July 22, 2008, 04:23:27 PM »
Quote from: atrocity05
Well, I really want to run this as a neutral/good campaign.  Sorry :(The barbarian is perfectly fine as well as most of what I see coming from dman about his monk.  Dan2 also seems to have caught onto this whole no magic thing.  I don't know if I trust a spelltouched feat or something called Unseelie Fey.  Neither of those sounds unmagical, though I don't know much about either.  Try and keep it close to the original goal and we'll be cool. 

Pretty sure beguiler (think I saw it mentioned) is out. 
I'll assume that, that refers to me. So I guess my voice might count.
I don't have any 3.0 material myself, Believe or not I'm not entirely sure champions of ruin is 3.0 JJ when does 3.5 start officially? Aside from the core 3 books alot of splat came out at random times I've no way of know really.
So I guess if I use some 3.0 I'll yank it, I don't think I did though.

atrocity05 you did say:
That looks to be about the list of what was originally allowed and what seems pretty good to me. If anyone has any good reasons for banning/unbanning things, just say it and list your argument and we'll see what we can work up to fix it.  I don't want this to fail hardcore or anything.
I'm sure Mr. Jones was just taking you up on the offer. His argument is compelling.
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #144 on: July 22, 2008, 04:27:11 PM »
Agreed, and a lot of stuff can be found on Crystalkeep or Realmshelp :D

"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

atrocity05

• Email
« Reply #145 on: July 22, 2008, 04:48:08 PM »
Yes, I know his argument was compelling and I am finding it hard to say no completely.  So I'm going to allow him to use the stuff from 3.0 and dragonmag as long as he does write everything out.  I'm sure you can use reason to still stay within the bounds of what would be allowed in a normal campaign.

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #146 on: July 22, 2008, 04:54:10 PM »
uh, that really is going to vary drastically.

Normal is quite subjective around here.

atrocity05

• Email
« Reply #147 on: July 22, 2008, 04:55:42 PM »
Ok then, something similar to the posts I have made earlier in here about types of things I would prefer to see.

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #148 on: July 22, 2008, 05:00:34 PM »
uh, that really is going to vary drastically.

Normal is quite subjective around here.
:lol LOL +1 True True. I'm sure though that he knows what he's doing enough to not do anything disruptive. I mean what the worst that could happen?

On a more serious not how will we handle "the magic shop"/WBL guidlines.

I mean, got slightly confused in all this We're in a regular D&D world, but we are simply a group of "non-spellcasters"
travelling about like iron heros, right? We're not in like a "Low mana" setting or anything like that right/wrong?
I just wanted to check with you before I started shopping.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 05:10:51 PM by Midnight_v »
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
  • Player Resource Consortium
    • Player Resource Consortium
    • Email
« Reply #149 on: July 22, 2008, 05:06:51 PM »
Have you taken a look at the TKeen in Shining South? It's a non-psionic version that loses one LA and the psi-likes, so there's another level to muck around with if we want to deal with it.
Arhosa Campaign World - Always Recruiting
Past, Present, and Future
Osteomancy - Rune Magic - Astral Magic
Class and Rule Collection
Player Resource Consortium
That is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange aeons even death may die

JanusJones

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #150 on: July 22, 2008, 05:09:03 PM »
I will gladly take on the task of explaining ANYTHING that you might have questions about, Atrocity - and thanks for being so understanding!  I think we're going to have a hell of a good time.

So, let's see . . . . we should have . . .

Strat's Bloodstorm Blade - what the final version will look like, of course, will be up to him . . .
dman's Healbot - sounds like he'll be able to do what he needs to in order to get the trick working, now!
My Ninja - full scouting, combat backup, and maybe even some healing, methinks (yay for Crusader!).
Dan2 - fear-based Barb - izzat right?
XXXX's Crasher - who was going to play this, again?

I think 5 should do it.  I'll invest in Knowledge Arcana so we can buy ourselves an Artificer's Monocle to ID stuff with (I think that'll work).

OOOOOH!  The Thri in Shining South should TOTALLY be the one you use, then, if you're going for the jumping multiweapon fighting boomerang-chucker.  I like the Orc too, though - totally your call!

Without Proto, you may want to consider throwing Feral onto the Orc - he'd get pounce and fast healing, which would be slick as hell.

Your big issue with either build is going to be making sure your bonus to hit is high enough.  Otherwise, you'll be golden!

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #151 on: July 22, 2008, 05:12:42 PM »
I will gladly take on the task of explaining ANYTHING that you might have questions about, Atrocity - and thanks for being so understanding!  I think we're going to have a hell of a good time.

Strat's Bloodstorm Blade - what the final version will look like, of course, will be up to him . . .
dman's Healbot - sounds like he'll be able to do what he needs to in order to get the trick working, now!
My Ninja - full scouting, combat backup, and maybe even some healing, methinks (yay for Crusader!).

I think 5 should do it.  I'll invest in Knowledge Arcana so we can buy ourselves an Artificer's Monocle to ID stuff with (I think that'll work).

OOOOOH!  The Thri in Shining South should TOTALLY be the one you use, then, if you're going for the jumping multiweapon fighting boomerang-chucker.  I like the Orc too, though - totally your call!

Without Proto, you may want to consider throwing Feral onto the Orc - he'd get pounce and fast healing, which would be slick as hell.

Your big issue with either build is going to be making sure your bonus to hit is high enough.  Otherwise, you'll be golden!
Are you specifically ignoring me or something?
The fear based barbarian was me.
 6thD was the Dungeon crasher...
Dan2 Is a Swashbuckling/warblade.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 05:18:33 PM by Midnight_v »

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #152 on: July 22, 2008, 05:15:59 PM »
Quote from: JanusJones
Once again, we're trying this as a challenge to make a NON-CASTING PARTY that is AS EFFECTIVE as a caster-aided party, right?
That wasn't how I interpreted this whole thing. To me, this felt like a "let's bring down the curve a bit so the non-casters can play" game. To me, this is specifically a lower power game, meant to highlight and showcase the non-caster types. If we're trying to ramp everyone back up to caster level power with special abilities and templates and evilness etc, I think that defeats the purpose of the game.

Anyhow, perhaps this requires clarification by the DM.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #153 on: July 22, 2008, 05:21:14 PM »
DblPst
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 05:22:46 PM by Midnight_v »

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #154 on: July 22, 2008, 05:21:58 PM »
Mmh, not sure yet, but a couple of questions anyway:

1) Would spellcasters still exist as NPC's?
2) Would there be spellcasters and spellcasting monsters as enemies?
3) Would magic items be readily available?

~Bowen
1) Yes- everything normal except no magic for PCs
2) Hopefully
3) I would assume so. Just no wands, etc.

I'm interested, but hesitant.  (My optimization-fu isn't nearly as good for non-casters)...
Join up! I'm not great either, but there will probably be lots of support from other people here.

Nah Surreal the Op was pretty clear it's "Iron Heroes" style, I had just checked as you posted that.
Though i guess some reiteration or clarification would indeed be needed.
By the way, are you getting in?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 05:24:55 PM by Midnight_v »

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #155 on: July 22, 2008, 05:26:00 PM »
I suppose it would help if I knew what Iron Heroes was...

...and I thought the game was full. I expressed interest a few pages ago, but I was never added to the list. I was interested in a lower-curve game; still not too sure how this one is unfolding.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 05:29:37 PM by Surreal »
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #156 on: July 22, 2008, 05:31:59 PM »
Dan2's going for Int to damage a few times...

because of Swashbuckler and to a lesser extent, Warblade, he'll also be able to cover some skills.

I'll not be the best of the group, but that's ok...

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #157 on: July 22, 2008, 05:44:23 PM »
I suppose it would help if I knew what Iron Heroes was...

...and I thought the game was full. I expressed interest a few pages ago, but I was never added to the list. I was interested in a lower-curve game; still not too sure how this one is unfolding.
Sorry Surreal, Iron heros is this monte cook book where in the setting the pc's don't have magic, cause magic is well, evil. Monsters and corrupt humans only. In brief.
I just used that as a referencd thought it was ... appropriate, my bad.

Also and no offense to him, the Dm hasn't actually made a list, Only JJ. So there's no official "list" yet, only intereted parties in varying stages of development, Near as I can tell. Don't take my word for it though. This would be my 1st pbp ever. *shrug* not sure of all the ins and outs.
Int to damage several times? Hmm Whats the 3rd class Eternalblade? Or factotum or... have you decided yet?

atrocity05

• Email
« Reply #158 on: July 22, 2008, 05:46:16 PM »
Well, I envisioned it as a lower mana from the civilized side game.  A lot of the monsters will still retain abilities.  This may be slightly unfair and I'll modify it as the game progresses to avoid unnecessary deaths.  Never DM'd a game quite like this before and it may seem unrealistic, but that's they way I thought about it.

EDIT: Will start making the list soon.  So far for interested parties, you should look at the front page.  If you could, it would be great to just list your build in the next couple of posts so we'll know what we're looking at.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #159 on: July 22, 2008, 05:47:36 PM »

Don't forget me, I might not have decided on a build just yet, but I'm still in...