Author Topic: Mending a Broken Bone  (Read 17796 times)

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
Re: Mending a Broken Bone
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2011, 12:37:08 AM »
half zombie vs ghost, should not be a fair fight.

The D&D designers have waaaay too big of an undead and aberration fetish for you to get stuck with "half zombie." I'm sure there are 40-50 undead that fit the bill for either Jason or Freddy.

I hate both undead and aberrations, so I will make no effort to a search.
I don't employ memes. Mass-produced ammunition, even from reputable manufacturers, tends to malfunction on occasion.

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2011, 01:24:58 AM »
also, milk is not good for your bones...
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2011, 02:34:23 AM »
I have a request for you, RMP: Punch your DM. Realism is fine and dandy when it is applied in a system with realism in mind. It is not fine in a high fantasy system like DnD, as the developers have proven (look at the grappling rules).

The Book of Nine Swords has the closest thing to breaking a bone (not counting Hydra decapitation rules), and that just requires him to heal up to full HP. Your DM is being an idiot.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2011, 02:47:10 AM »
I have a request for you, RMP: Punch your DM. Realism is fine and dandy when it is applied in a system with realism in mind. It is not fine in a high fantasy system like DnD, as the developers have proven (look at the grappling rules).

The Book of Nine Swords has the closest thing to breaking a bone (not counting Hydra decapitation rules), and that just requires him to heal up to full HP. Your DM is being an idiot.

Plus Fucking One.
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2011, 04:58:29 AM »

Tell your GM to allow the cut open and torch it with postive energy, or tell him plan B is killing the Monk and rezzing him.

Because D&D is about being badass, not realistic.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2011, 12:47:48 PM »
While it is easy and often entertaining to just hate on the DM, I've seen plenty of decent DMs make similar mistakes. They don't know all the rules and they don't know broken bones don't exist in D&D. It's the same stupid line of thinking that created all the rules for re-attaching limbs when there are no rules for severing them, only it's the DM doing it not the designers.

The DM in question probably had no clue that there were no spells that mend broken limbs before he decided to crunch up the tank, however he should have taken a hint when he realized that he was deciding to crunch the tank and that he had absolutely nothing telling him how or whether he could do that.

Inform the DM of his failure ("There are no rules for broken limbs, you should not have decided to break the players limbs without any support for it in the rules if you were going to decide to make us follow the rules you so gleefully ignored.") and then inform the DM that your +22 Heal check is more than adequate to properly set the bones (It is, see Solo's post, although House is one of the lamest characters I've ever seen), finally, take the bed rest and let the campaign fester. Sometimes you have to carve off a chunk of your own fun in order for people to realize that they've hacked a bigger chunk off already. It'll also show team support for the tank (Always nice to see your group gives a shit about you, although VoP sounds like a lousy tank)

If your DM is the type that thinks the gross shit in the Book of Vile Darkness is the best work WotC has ever done, slap him with your dick hard enough to remove teeth, drop all the books in the world on his head, and exit that clown house.
The issue is that the DM started to make up stuff concerning breaking bones. The fact that the system doesn't have any rules concerning this is only relevant in that it just means we know he didn't read anything of the sort, not an inherently bad thing but.... Follow that up with him expecting the game rules to be compatible with something he just made up is an idiotic concept. The DM doesn't even follow the logic and fluff of spells like Heal that implicitly would fix this as well.

The DM tried something different, thats good. They also made a mistake when doing it, not really a problem. They then refused to accept they made a mistake and are punishing the party for it, that is where the punch to the nose is warranted. DM's screw up all the time, but a good DM realizes it is a screw up and tries to fix it. This ass just demanded RAW for a situation that doesn't exist in the rules.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

RealMarkP

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2011, 02:07:17 PM »
One important thing to note, disregarding the realism argument for now. The party is not Hercules and Friends.
The party has capabilities equivalent to Hercules traveling with Merlin, Jesus and Loki at once. So yes, Hercules would be able to survive getting stomped like that, Jesus would heal him and then he'd go back in to sneak attack the bastard with Loki while Merlin rains down fireballs. That's playing as the designers intended, not even playing as optimised.

To be fair, it almost is Hercules and friends. The monk is a good tank and scores crits of over 100pts at level 8. I'm the healer, I stay invisible with my ring of invisibility and cower behind my sanctuary. I pump tons of positive energy into the tank to keep him alive. Just the two of us make a mess of all planned encounters and the DM is frustrated. There is no Merlin or Loki. It's invisible Jesus and Hercules (Though, we just had a 3rd player join us. He is nowhere near the optimization level that we put into our characters) and the enemies only see Hercules.

I had a talk with the DM (I didn't mention the surgeon idea, just yet). As a DM myself, I feel his frustration (the Monk's player plays a barbarian in my campaign, also scoring 300+ crits, ruining my encounters). I started discussing alternative tactics against the Monk. Simple spells like grease, entangle, confusion, etc will make him less effective. He is just one person after all, and if you overwhelm him with 10+ smaller monsters that grapple, trip, etc. he won't be able to compensate. He seemed receptive to the idea and going forward he might rethink his tactics.

Tell your GM to allow the cut open and torch it with postive energy, or tell him plan B is killing the Monk and rezzing him.
This idea actually came to mind. But as a LG character, it would be against my ethos. I would need to be atoned.

UPDATE: I talked to the DM. He was keen on the surgery idea. He will make a chart of things that can go wrong in surgery (ie. cutting an artery, infection, etc) and allow me to use a combination of skills and spells to get through it. Huzzah.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 04:02:37 PM by RealMarkP »

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2011, 04:08:14 PM »
Kill the tank. Loot his stuff. Have the tank's player add a roman numeral to his sheet and come back with a healthy character.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2011, 11:05:17 PM »
Kill the tank. Loot his stuff. Have the tank's player add a roman numeral to his sheet and come back with a healthy character.

VoP Monk.

To be fair, it almost is Hercules and friends. The monk is a good tank and scores crits of over 100pts at level 8. I'm the healer, I stay invisible with my ring of invisibility and cower behind my sanctuary. I pump tons of positive energy into the tank to keep him alive. Just the two of us make a mess of all planned encounters and the DM is frustrated. There is no Merlin or Loki. It's invisible Jesus and Hercules (Though, we just had a 3rd player join us. He is nowhere near the optimization level that we put into our characters) and the enemies only see Hercules.

I was tempted to call you out on the "tank's" damage output, but then I realized that it is a VoP Monk.

And to think your DM is having a hard time against two characters.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2011, 03:56:36 AM »
VoP Monk.
Kill him now. Kill him with fire.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2011, 04:40:00 AM »
VoP Monk.
I think the issue is that someone half killed him already.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2011, 04:41:08 AM »
VoP Monk.
I think the issue is that someone half killed him already.

Finish the job? :evillaugh etc
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

RealMarkP

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2011, 09:12:33 PM »
I would not be opposed to that idea.