Author Topic: Mending a Broken Bone  (Read 17795 times)

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
Re: Mending a Broken Bone
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2011, 03:54:33 PM »
uhg, three demerits for Sneer.

hey remember that time that our shadowcraft mage used a first level illusion to summon a 300% real solar. but before the solar could act the bard had diplomancied the ancient half troll half demon red dragon into being bff's.

hey remember that time we saw that kobald buy a candle of invocation, we were like dude, wtf are you gonna do with that? you sold all your stuff for a stupid candle? and five minutes later he was a greater god! whoa

hey meber that time i made lighting appear out of nowhere and strike the target i wanted, that was cool.

reality is for some other system, dnd has magic. magic hates reality.
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

zugschef

• Curious George
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2011, 04:00:03 PM »
@SneeR
talking about realism or even semi-realism in this context is kind of ridiculous. for me it makes no sense at all to treat injuries that way (unless you houserule a thousand other things, first of all magic, as well), but of course, everybody must play the game he/she likes...

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2011, 04:06:47 PM »
And yet it makes no sense that a spell capable of healing complex tissue damage and even brain damage cannot mend a bone. Seriously, Mending is a cantrip and does the same thing, it's not a complex task.

Besides, semi-realistic rules are all well and good, but who's the person who is most likely to rack up a broken bone? The melee combatant. Who's the person who is least likely to have the skills or resources to treat a broken bone? Same person. Who suffers the most if you make Cure spells unable to mend broken bones? It's not the healer, I can tell you that.

Now, if you want to maintain some realism while not totally boning the fighter (ahaha), you could rule that you have to heal at least as much damage as the injury that broke the bone dealt before it mends. That way jumping off a building delivers a significant injury (which can be fixed with powerful magic quickly, weaker magic slowly, or natural healing even more slowly), but you don't have to call in the high priest when little Johnny breaks his arm falling out of the apple tree in Old Man Jenkins' yard.*

*Of course, that fall could very well kill little Johnny under normal D&D rules, but if you're going for a semi-realistic setting you've probably got this covered as well.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2011, 04:09:55 PM »
As always, I just steal Aquerra's rules if I want something like that.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

RealMarkP

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2011, 06:31:37 PM »
I'm thinking of asking the DM to allow me to do some complex surgery. If he house ruled broken bones, I'm going to ask him if I can cut open his arms and legs, down to the bone, and fire off as many heal spells that I can use, and then fix up his wounds using more cure spells. I will ask him if during the procedure, he would bleed uncontrollably, which then I can use some spells to counter that. Similarly for the pain, there are a few spells that help with that.

Since he shoved us into a realistic situation, I'm going to try to convince him of a realistic resolution. I just hope my Heal skill check (+22) will give me enough insight into how surgery is performed. I might put a bunch of points into Profession(Surgeon) next level, if this realism continues.

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2011, 06:46:59 PM »
I learned how to set broken bones in Boy Scouts. Your DM's an ass.

EDIT: I agree with other people, bedrest. That's what I learned in Boy Scouts.*

Also your surgery idea sounds horrible, no offense, but if I had broken bones there's no way I'd let you pull that shit on me. I'd defend myself with the sharp edges of my broken bones.

*This is included as further mockery of breaking a tank's bones.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 06:50:03 PM by Bloody Initiate »
I don't employ memes. Mass-produced ammunition, even from reputable manufacturers, tends to malfunction on occasion.

SneeR

• Bi-Curious George
  • Sneering
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2011, 06:53:17 PM »
That solution is hardcore! I wish my players did more things like that.

Have a problem? Cut it to the bone and torch it with healing spells!
The answer to everything:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
SneeR
[spoiler]
I don't know if the designers meant you to take Skill Focus for every feat.
Sounds a little OP.

The monk is clearly the best class, no need to optimize here. What you are doing is overkill.

It's like people who have no idea what a turn signal is. They ruin it for everyone else.
When another driver brandishes a holy symbol and begins glowing with divine light, seek cover or get spattered with zombie brains. I do not see what is so complicated about this.
[/spoiler]

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2011, 06:58:05 PM »
This wouldn't have been a problem if that tank had been drinking his milk.
I don't employ memes. Mass-produced ammunition, even from reputable manufacturers, tends to malfunction on occasion.

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2011, 07:47:35 PM »
I just hope my Heal skill check (+22) will give me enough insight into how surgery is performed.
A 6th level human expert will have a heal check of about 20 if he's geared exclusively for it. This is basically the most brilliant surgeon that would be around us in real life, ie Gregory House.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2011, 07:53:50 PM »
Has anyone mentioned punching the DM in the nose and asking if a cure spell would probably help with that yet? Seriously if he goes off script to break a bone he should be sensible enough to not demand RAW that the spell would fix it. This DM seems to be on a power trip or is so stupid the dog looks like Steven Hawking next to them, either way they probably shouldn't be allowed to DM for a while, at least not by themselves.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 07:56:18 PM by archangel.arcanis »
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2011, 08:07:07 PM »
While it is easy and often entertaining to just hate on the DM, I've seen plenty of decent DMs make similar mistakes. They don't know all the rules and they don't know broken bones don't exist in D&D. It's the same stupid line of thinking that created all the rules for re-attaching limbs when there are no rules for severing them, only it's the DM doing it not the designers.

The DM in question probably had no clue that there were no spells that mend broken limbs before he decided to crunch up the tank, however he should have taken a hint when he realized that he was deciding to crunch the tank and that he had absolutely nothing telling him how or whether he could do that.

Inform the DM of his failure ("There are no rules for broken limbs, you should not have decided to break the players limbs without any support for it in the rules if you were going to decide to make us follow the rules you so gleefully ignored.") and then inform the DM that your +22 Heal check is more than adequate to properly set the bones (It is, see Solo's post, although House is one of the lamest characters I've ever seen), finally, take the bed rest and let the campaign fester. Sometimes you have to carve off a chunk of your own fun in order for people to realize that they've hacked a bigger chunk off already. It'll also show team support for the tank (Always nice to see your group gives a shit about you, although VoP sounds like a lousy tank)

If your DM is the type that thinks the gross shit in the Book of Vile Darkness is the best work WotC has ever done, slap him with your dick hard enough to remove teeth, drop all the books in the world on his head, and exit that clown house.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 08:09:49 PM by Bloody Initiate »

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2011, 08:16:41 PM »
(It is, see Solo's post, although House is one of the lamest characters I've ever seen)
Its not House's fault he's got a bad leg.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2011, 08:21:12 PM »
(It is, see Solo's post, although House is one of the lamest characters I've ever seen)
Its not House's fault he's got a bad leg.

If only his DM had read the rules...

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2011, 09:46:27 PM »
1 demerit for me for not also citing the house cat vs lvl 1 pc scenario

Anim-manga sux.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2011, 10:15:28 PM »
One important thing to note, disregarding the realism argument for now. The party is not Hercules and Friends.
The party has capabilities equivalent to Hercules traveling with Merlin, Jesus and Loki at once. So yes, Hercules would be able to survive getting stomped like that, Jesus would heal him and then he'd go back in to sneak attack the bastard with Loki while Merlin rains down fireballs. That's playing as the designers intended, not even playing as optimised.
I'm thinking of asking the DM to allow me to do some complex surgery. If he house ruled broken bones, I'm going to ask him if I can cut open his arms and legs, down to the bone, and fire off as many heal spells that I can use, and then fix up his wounds using more cure spells. I will ask him if during the procedure, he would bleed uncontrollably, which then I can use some spells to counter that. Similarly for the pain, there are a few spells that help with that.

Since he shoved us into a realistic situation, I'm going to try to convince him of a realistic resolution. I just hope my Heal skill check (+22) will give me enough insight into how surgery is performed. I might put a bunch of points into Profession(Surgeon) next level, if this realism continues.
That is hardcore, awesome, and makes up for all the bad if it works.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2011, 10:18:05 PM »
i dont think its hercules and friends, i think it was jason and friends, herc was one of the friends.. it was jasons boat, right?

Anim-manga sux.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2011, 10:20:35 PM »
Jason ain't tough enough to handle solo adventuring.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2011, 10:32:49 PM »
Jason ain't tough enough to handle solo adventuring.
He soloed Freddy, didn't he?
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2011, 11:07:02 PM »
half zombie vs ghost, should not be a fair fight.

Anim-manga sux.

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2011, 12:33:22 AM »
This wouldn't have been a problem if that tank had been drinking his milk.

Fact. I've been athletically active since I could pick up a stick and fight stuff and I've never broken a bone. :)