Author Topic: The complete guide to IP proofing OR how to survive and enjoy your campaign.  (Read 61691 times)

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
Reach is done with a Rod.

I'd do Chain with the Rod. Lower overall spell level. You can take advantage of the fact WoL don't gimp Clerics a whole lot, and the metamagic effects they give are just like metamagic rods except technically aren't, so you could use both. But WoL is again atypical.

WoL?

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
Reach is done with a Rod.

I'd do Chain with the Rod. Lower overall spell level. You can take advantage of the fact WoL don't gimp Clerics a whole lot, and the metamagic effects they give are just like metamagic rods except technically aren't, so you could use both. But WoL is again atypical.

WoL?
Weapons of Legacy.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
@Shiki, thanks! I never new CArc had rods in it.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Magic Item Compendium 165 has cheaper Chain rods.

Maybe Ocular Spell + Chain will work.

Also, what's GMI?
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Esgath

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
I think it means Greater Mirror Image.

Auto Life, stat guards

What are those two?

So I figure Craft Contingent Spell is worth it. I'm very reluctant when it comes down to XP costs ^^
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 06:36:05 AM by Esgath »

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.

*immolates Esgath*

He, fool. Or shall I demonstrate that unarmed strikes can be made with any part of the body?

What are those two?

So I figure Craft Contingent Spell is worth it. I'm very reluctant when it comes down to XP costs ^^

Auto Life: Revivify, Heal. The first set to automatically revive you when killed by an effect Raise Dead can bring you back from. The second set to automatically activate immediately after the first.

Stat guards: Things like Restoration if a non Con stat is 0ed out, or if you take too much Con damage, etc. Also Lesser Restoration for dealing with annoying Ray of Enfeeblements (one of the enemies would spam Ray of Enfeeblement, Dizziness, and Clumsiness, all in the same round).
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email

*immolates Esgath*

He, fool. Or shall I demonstrate that unarmed strikes can be made with any part of the body?
"It" meaning "GMI."

I don't think Esgath is the fool.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.

*immolates Esgath*

"It" meaning "GMI."

Hi Welcome

And don't forget:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

[/spoiler]

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email

*immolates Esgath*

"It" meaning "GMI."

Hi Welcome
Exactly. That wasn't so hard, was it?

Learn to laugh at yourself and it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

Looks like we might get somewhere after all.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Esgath

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar

*immolates Esgath*

So either I nailed it, or I am completely off :D

There should be some list of abbreviations around here :>

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko

*immolates Esgath*

So either I nailed ithim, or I am completely off :D
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email

*immolates Esgath*

So either I nailed it, or I am completely off :D

There should be some list of abbreviations around here :>

If it's any consolation, I can't tell which it is either.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
*casts Dispel Fuckwits*

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
*casts Dispel Fuckwits*

Thats the way to go Sunic. Only you can save yourself.

Jokes aside though, I doubt the Factotum has the breadth of spells to use on IP proofing. Love the class personally, but its not a powerhouse.

I want to put an idea out there, though I unfortunately can't attempt it now  :(  Works kills. Sorry.

We should have a generic save kit to purchase with WBL; for example, the best 'kit' at level six, what to buy next when you have a chance, etc. Like a stub build, you could mod your kit to meet specific campaign challenges, or when in doubt, go with the gold standard.

Whats a good percent of wealth to per level to allocate to this hypothetical kit? I guesstimate it at 80 percent, but I like jackinng my saves passively. YMMV.

Does this sound useful?

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
80% of WBL going to saves is too much.  You have to get defenses for no-save things, offense, and utility items as well.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Obviously everyone needs to remember there are racial ways of IP proofing, like playing a warforged or in more extreme cases a Maug/Undead.

Construct type is awesome if your not a warforged:

# No Constitution score.
# Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
# Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects, and necromancy effects.
# Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability damage, ability drain, fatigue, exhaustion, or energy drain.
# Immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects, or is harmless).
# Not at risk of death from massive damage. Immediately destroyed when reduced to 0 hit points or less.
# Constructs do not eat, sleep, or breathe.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
# No Constitution score.
Except for this. No Con score is a serious hit to survivability - it removes the easiest way to boost your hp and Fort saves.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

oslecamo

• Grape ape
# No Constitution score.
Except for this. No Con score is a serious hit to survivability - it removes the easiest way to boost your hp and Fort saves.

Mind you, pure constructs are suposed to get a free HP boost that actually puts them ahead at lower levels. While dumping that stat so you can focus on the others.

And heck, you're a construct. You're immune to pretty much anything that calls for a Fort save.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
# No Constitution score.

Mind you, pure constructs are suposed to get a free HP boost that actually puts them ahead at lower levels. While dumping that stat so you can focus on the others.

And heck, you're a construct. You're immune to pretty much anything that calls for a Fort save.

The former doesn't help at higher levels. For a Medium creature, it's +20 hit points flat, which is the same as if you had a 12 Con at level 20, or a 14 Con at level 10. In fact, at level 20, it's the same as if you were Undead. A d8 with 16 Con will have more hit points, and that 16 is easy to top with items.

The problem witht he latter is that those that do call for a save from you are those that screw you the most - such as PAO or Disintegrate. The former basically autokills you, the latter... probably autokills you anyway, because your hp are low.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
I want to put an idea out there, though I unfortunately can't attempt it now  :(  Works kills. Sorry.

We should have a generic save kit to purchase with WBL; for example, the best 'kit' at level six, what to buy next when you have a chance, etc. Like a stub build, you could mod your kit to meet specific campaign challenges, or when in doubt, go with the gold standard.

Whats a good percent of wealth to per level to allocate to this hypothetical kit? I guesstimate it at 80 percent, but I like jackinng my saves passively. YMMV.

Does this sound useful?

Not a lot you can do to boost saves with cash. Obviously there's the cloak +1/+2/+3/+4/+5 at levels 3/6/10/12/14, that you can just get a +1 of and then skip the rest if you have Greater/Superior Resistance. But aside from those, and the very high level stones, and the level 12ish Spellstrike spikes to be a GMW target? Most of it is pure spells, or innate, not cash based.

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]