Author Topic: The complete guide to IP proofing OR how to survive and enjoy your campaign.  (Read 61309 times)

Empirate

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Re: The complete guide to IP proofing OR how to survive and enjoy your campaign.
« Reply #140 on: February 25, 2011, 11:26:45 AM »
I sometimes wonder whether Sunic and the Starcraft II player Idra are one and the same...

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
Re: The complete guide to IP proofing OR how to survive and enjoy your campaign.
« Reply #141 on: February 25, 2011, 11:56:46 AM »
Don't play Starcraft, don't care about Starcraft.

Depending on how you explain how this is relevant to me you might be laughed at, laughed with, or smited for Great Justice.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #142 on: February 25, 2011, 01:06:52 PM »
But anyways, most of the people responding, including competents turned fuckwits snakeman and lycan are the biggest reasons I am convinced I made the right decision.

So far what we've been doing is mentioning practical, inexpensive, and, (dare I say it) mundane methods of defending yourself.

For example, at level 9, not everyone has Protection from Evil up all the time- the duration is too short to make it practical.  Magic Circle is moreso, but still only lasts 1-1/2 hours and, to recieve the benefits, you're AoE bait, once again making it fairly impractical to actually rely upon it as a defense (unless you are the caster).  Mind Blank is still several levels away.  But Dominate Person is on the field.  A basic disguise will probably protect you from it (most Wizards don't have great Spot checks) or get it wasted on you (if you're, say, a Warforged masquerading as a human which may be for a reason completely seperate from combat) instead of your allies.  This is possible with virtually no resource investment but time.  Just take 20 on the check and you're set.  No, this is not a perfect defense, but it costs you nothing but some time and has the potential of protecting you from not only type-specific spells, but also unecessary encounters.

Yes, magic still wins D&D, but mundane is nowhere near as helpless as you make it out to be.

So, I apologize that we're concerned with practicality and how most games actually work here.  We'll try to be more focused on just numeric win from here on out.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 01:08:47 PM by snakeman830 »
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

DoNotFeedTheHipsters

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #143 on: February 25, 2011, 07:12:29 PM »

Depending on how you explain how this is relevant to me you might be laughed at, laughed with, or smited for Great Justice.

Idra is known in the Starcraft II multiplayer community as a giant crybaby and braggart, who is completely full of himself, but  gets incredibly pissy, pouts, and then and runs away in a huff whenever he doesn't get his way. Though he's quite competent at the game, he's generally considered a laughingstock.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #144 on: February 25, 2011, 08:22:01 PM »
In addition to what snakeman830 said, I also made reference to where I mentioned how some tier 3 classes can IP proof just fine. I mean, greater concealing amorpha alone makes a psychic warrior immune to a ton of stuff (basically anything that requires targeting, as well as sneak attacks and AoOs).

If this offends you...well...stop being a baby and man-up.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 08:26:52 PM by Lycanthromancer »
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #145 on: February 25, 2011, 08:28:32 PM »
Hi Welcome
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #146 on: February 25, 2011, 08:41:43 PM »
Hi Welcome
This sums up your posts so very well these days.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #147 on: February 25, 2011, 08:43:20 PM »

Idra is known in the Starcraft II multiplayer community as a giant crybaby and braggart, who is completely full of himself, but  gets incredibly pissy, pouts, and then and runs away in a huff whenever he doesn't get his way. Though he's quite competent at the game, he's generally considered a laughingstock.
The Giacomo of Starcraft 2?

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #148 on: February 25, 2011, 08:52:59 PM »

Giacomo is utterly incompetent.  Otherwise, yes.

Anyway, here's a guaranteed way to find out whether or not Sunic is IrdA.  Gauge the amount of rage induced by the following picture:

Andion Isurand

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
  • An Anomaly of The Art
    • MageRune - Andion Isurand's Homebrew Blog
« Reply #149 on: February 25, 2011, 09:01:27 PM »
Now we just need to embed the corresponding audio so it plays when you open this page of the thread.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #150 on: February 25, 2011, 09:04:38 PM »
Is there anyone who would like to start work on a new guide for IP proofing?

Preferably someone reasonably intelligent this time. JaronK?

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #151 on: February 25, 2011, 09:12:00 PM »

I could, but I'm not going to call it a guide to IP Proofing.  Like I said before, if one side is IP Proofed against the other, then the DM is failing at his job.

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #152 on: February 25, 2011, 09:13:15 PM »

Well, Idra is actually a pro player that makes some good money with SC II, even with rage-quits. He'll give other pros a run for the top, it's just that he's a really sore loser, and will crash and burn the moment his oponent manages to outmaneuver/suprise him.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #153 on: February 25, 2011, 09:21:01 PM »

I could, but I'm not going to call it a guide to IP Proofing.  Like I said before, if one side is IP Proofed against the other, then the DM is failing at his job.
Well, it's a similar concept, even if the execution differs.

In any case, I wish you well. I'll be along to make suggestions, I'm sure.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #154 on: February 25, 2011, 10:53:15 PM »
You'd still need IP proofing even if the DM is helping(short of fudging dice), because of rocket tag derived consequences.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #155 on: February 26, 2011, 12:33:36 AM »
Ah wellz.. If anyone wants to take this on, I'll try to help aswell, even if I'm not that hardcore into things. o:
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 02:28:44 AM by Shiki »
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
« Reply #156 on: February 26, 2011, 02:01:26 AM »

Mention IP Proofing somewhere. Sunic did aptly use the term.

But I'll join the chorus in urging to recreate the body of knowledge, if theres someone with the knowledge and time.  :rollseyes Perhaps someone not so convinced of their infalliability that other opinions are irrelevant though.

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #157 on: February 26, 2011, 02:25:19 AM »
I'll do a side thing
Skill prodigy from Kingdoms of Kalamar

Talore

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Viking Skald
    • Email
« Reply #158 on: February 26, 2011, 03:12:09 AM »
This is a joke, right? How immature...

I'd be glad to help with the logic+ version of this guide, complete with Factotum class. The save feats from Savage Species should be mentioned with their abuses too. Items and classes that give re-rolls should be included in detail as well.
Backseat moderator (voice) -_-

SeekingKnight

• Curious George
« Reply #159 on: February 26, 2011, 03:13:11 AM »
Wow, this is rather sad.  I was honestly interested in this guide.  It would have been helpful to at least have gotten base numbers and things in.  Sunic, if asked in PM would you provide info or are you totally dropping the idea?