Author Topic: The complete guide to IP proofing OR how to survive and enjoy your campaign.  (Read 61307 times)

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
Removed, Fail levels excessively high. You all were warned.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 04:49:11 PM by Sunic_Flames »
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
Reserved.

And don't forget:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

[/spoiler]

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
Reserved.

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
Reserved.

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
Reserved.

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
Reserved. Done. The blanks will be filled in tomorrow or something.

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Tyal-Kelvar

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Yay! A vital thread filled with reserved posts that will prevent me asking more stupid questions in that other thread.  Still, six reserved posts... gives the impression this will be very indepth and complicated.

'Important' first question/comment: Can/how can a character best use the leadership feat to IP proof any character concept?

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Leadership gives you control of another character.  Said character can buff you, make items, and act as a sacrifice.

Consider Xykon's advice.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Mixster

• Grape ape
I look forward to this, there aren't a lot of guides out there that deal with survivability. I also applaud Sunic for taking this up.

Be sure to mention things like Pride Domain that allows you to re-roll ones on Saving Throws as being pretty nice for those silly Save or Die situations.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
Hurrah! I will likely reference this when I next attempt to make a character who doesn't always go last and spend most of her time Dazed.  :p

(To be fair, I've been slightly better off than the (temporarily dead, by one means or another) halfling who has spent most of the game at 0 str. Hurrah for 3-day timeskips.)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 10:17:52 PM by Kajhera »

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
In the same league as Leadership, I'll add in Thrallherd.  And Magic Jar or similar methods of possession. 

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
Yay! A vital thread filled with reserved posts that will prevent me asking more stupid questions in that other thread.  Still, six reserved posts... gives the impression this will be very indepth and complicated.

'Important' first question/comment: Can/how can a character best use the leadership feat to IP proof any character concept?

I don't remember what the text limit is, and since you can't reserve posts later, it's better to have too many than not enough.

And yes and no. Certainly, getting a full caster cohort helps, but by itself, not enough. Especially at lower levels, such as the level you first get it. After all, a level 6 Cleric, such as a PC can IP proof the party. A level 4 Cleric, such as a cohort cannot.

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
First section up. Progress will be slow. I am a busy mystical vulpine.

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
It is quite possible to get to an AC where nothing can hit you, without being useless.
This guy I used to play, did. = http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6044.msg200017#msg200017

AC 68 on most fights, Robilar's Gambit included, isn't bad at all, even as a Gestalt level 12. And we could have easily added more with stacking Defending Weapons, and a Wilder 2 dip later would raise Touch to match (not that's it's low now, mind).

The level 20 version had an AC: 164 / 164 (139) Touch / 164 (143) Flat-Footed + Elude Touch, Uncanny Dodge
Utterly impossible to hit without infinite loops.
20th Saves: +69 Fort / +69 Reflex / +63 Will and +32 Immediate (Insight) or +27 Free (Insight).
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 12:39:18 PM by CantripN »
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
Let's be honest - that's highly atypical, and not the result of a normal campaign. Same reason I didn't bother referencing Kratos, who has similar stats at a similar level without gestalt, or crazy PB.

Normal campaign for this purpose means 32 PB, no gestalt, non core allowed but not anything goes. Otherwise the information just isn't applicable to the people who need it.

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

GrokThis

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
I look forward to this guide. Kudos Sunic.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
Most methods of IPing AC involve applying an ability score to it multiple times. Cantrip's example applies Cha to AC how many times? Deepwarden 2/Fist of the Forest 1 is another way to do it.

In fact, I think you should link this thread in the original post. It's my go-to for IPing my characters.

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
Most methods of IPing AC involve applying an ability score to it multiple times. Cantrip's example applies Cha to AC how many times? Deepwarden 2/Fist of the Forest 1 is another way to do it.

In fact, I think you should link this thread in the original post. It's my go-to for IPing my characters.

That's why Factotum isn't that bad considering INT TO EVERYTHING, since Int is a good stat. YMMV though. :rollseyes
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
I refuse to reference a GitP thread or Factorums on principle.

As for ability scores to AC in general, the thing about those is that most of the time, they replace another stat rather than add to it. Which in turn means you either need obscenely good stats just to break even, much less get ahead. For example a Monk's Belt Cleric needs 34 Wis and +8 bracers to equal a cheap armor and floating shield he Magic Vestments every morning.

The methods that do stack with everything are obscure enough, and require enough effort you're better off just saying fuck it, I Wand Chamber a GMI Wand.

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
Sigh. I need a factotum in order to cash in on DM fiat because he apparently greatly likes the class. I'll just look at the handbook on them and crossreference as needed.  :p

Edit: Wait, we play gestalt a lot, I can just play a wizard or psion and utilize the Tier High tricks.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 06:13:29 PM by Kajhera »