Author Topic: A multi-threat Wizard  (Read 9259 times)

kalaskaagathas

• Bi-Curious George
  • "Seek Perfection of Character" - Gichin Funakoshi
A multi-threat Wizard
« on: February 16, 2011, 04:38:51 AM »
I'm trying to build a Wizard who can satisfy multiple build goals.  These goals are, in no particular order:

• Skill Monkey
  • Controller
  • Blaster/Damage Dealer
  • Diplomancer
  • Ghost
  • Buffer
  • Caster Level > Character Level

Assuming that all books are open, but trying to avoid TO shenanigans, what would you do in my situation?  I don't know if LA buy off is in effect, but I'm presuming it is, and that I would be able to buy off levels in the Ghost Savage Progression.

As far as the build goes, I'm thinking I might do a Spellthief 1/Changling Wizard X/ScM 3 or more/whatever else.  This build would ideally be playable from level 10 or so onward to epic.  For feats, I know I'd need Spell Focus: Illusion and I'd want Human Heritage, Ghostly Grasp,  Master Spellthief, and maybe Able Learner.

So, any suggestions?

Andion Isurand

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
  • An Anomaly of The Art
    • MageRune - Andion Isurand's Homebrew Blog
Re: A multi-threat Wizard
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 05:06:21 AM »
For skill monkeyness...  stacking Loremaster along with Paragnostic Apostle or Harper Mage to maximize the Bardic Knack ACF (PH2 35) is an idea.

If you chose a halfling wizard...  you could look up the halfling wizard substitution levels in Dragon 337 to exchange your 5th level wizard bonus feat to make your wizard levels count towards Lore checks (Bardic Knack).

Alternatively, you can use the Filidh variant wizard, as described in Dragon Magazine 324, pg 90.  They get more class skills and Flilidh Knowledge (Bardic Knack) ....instead of Scribe Scroll and a Familiar.  They also get a +1 caster level increase to Divination spells every 5 levels instead of bonus feats.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 06:21:55 AM by Andion Isurand »

kalaskaagathas

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 02:19:01 PM »
I don't know that Filidh would be the way to go on this, though, as I'm not planning on having that many levels in Wizard.  That said, I hadn't thought about using Harper Mage/Loremaster for Bardic Knack - though as I recall, Loremaster has some steep prereqs.  I'd also rather go with Changling Wizard than Halfling Wizard, because being able to specialize in Illusion and Transmutation seems like a pretty sweet ability.

On the note of specialization, what schools do you think I should ban?  I was thinking Evocation, since I can basically fudge that with Silent Image, but I'm not sure about the other one (or two, if I go Changling Wiz).  I could go with Enchantment as we've already got a Beguiler, and maybe Necromancy (though I think it would be odd to play a Ghost Wizard with Necromancy as a banned school) since our Beguiler is gestalted with Dread Necro.

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 02:39:24 PM »
What about Collegiate Wizard and the feat that let you cast anyspell from your spell book Int mod times perday?
Skill prodigy from Kingdoms of Kalamar

kalaskaagathas

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 02:43:05 PM »
I'll have to check it out, do you know what the feat is called?  And where can I find Collegiate Wizard?

Edit: Also, where can I find a breakdown of how Shadowcraft Mages get the ability to cast Shadow Miracles, and do it from the fabled fourth level slot?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 02:46:56 PM by kalaskaagathas »

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 05:15:34 PM »
Honestly, it doesn't take much optimization at all to get a wizard to fulfill all of those roles. Wizard 20, pick the right spells, bam, done.
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]
Allow me to welcome you both with my literal words and with an active display of how much you fit in by being tone deaf, dumb, and uncritical of your babbling myself.[/spoiler]

kalaskaagathas

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 05:33:18 PM »
Honestly, it doesn't take much optimization at all to get a wizard to fulfill all of those roles. Wizard 20, pick the right spells, bam, done.

True, I could just go Wizard 20, however, I'm looking for suggestions beyond Wizard 20.

Hallack

• Hong Kong
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 05:52:03 PM »
While not really as powerful a Beguiler perhaps going into SCM (for blasty/conjure fun) would fairly easily handle most those rolls.
Placeholder - T'tosc

kalaskaagathas

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 06:05:26 PM »
While not really as powerful a Beguiler perhaps going into SCM (for blasty/conjure fun) would fairly easily handle most those rolls.

Trouble is, we've already got one.  I figure ScM is good for exactly those things, and with Signature Spell (or whatever that feat is) I don't have to prepare Silent Image, so I get extra versatility from that (especially if I can pull Miracles out of a hat, as I've heard ScMs can do) but I'm looking for advice on what feats and PrCs will help me turn a Wizard into a multi-threat monster.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM »
Ultimate Master Spell Thief Sublime chord!

Spellthief 1/ Bard1/Wizard 3/Unseen Seer 3/UM 1/Sublime Chord 2/UM+9

Decent caster, can handle blasting if you pick the spells, has decent amount of skill points with a decent Int. Needs Cha anyway so Diplomancy is up for grabs, also gets some bard spells so he's set for that task.

And his caster level is around 50.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 07:48:21 PM »
Other sources of bardic knowledge/lore technically don't stack with bardic knack, it's just a reasonable houserule.

Of course if you use that houserule then it's not much of a stretch to just use a Seer -> http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070411a

Scouting skills are handled by clairvoyant sense and dimension door, face skills are handled by the charm power (can get this with Hidden Talent), and Knowledge skills are handled with the Call to Mind power.

Other people probably know better how psions can do control than I do.

Given that you have a recharge shtick, Psionic blasting is easier to manage than standard magical blasting.  Just get Empower Power.

Overchannel for improving your manifester level.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 07:56:04 PM »
Of course if you use that houserule then it's not much of a stretch to just use a Seer -> http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070411a
See, the best part about that ACF is that it works with things like Practiced Manifester and PrCs.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Tethlis

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 08:15:57 PM »
Conjurer 5 / Red Wizard 5 / Knight of the Weave 1 / Ultimate Magus 9. Heighten a fire spell up to 40 and run around with the Fiery Burst reserve feat for damage. Knock / Detect Secret door / Invisibility for skill monkey (assuming you are looking to replace the rogue position). Free persistent spells later on for buffs.

kalaskaagathas

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 08:23:02 PM »
Stuff about Seers

Psionics are the one thing we're not allowed (typically, I'll have to check) for thematic reasons.

Conjurer 5 / Red Wizard 5 / Knight of the Weave 1 / Ultimate Magus 9. Heighten a fire spell up to 40 and run around with the Fiery Burst reserve feat for damage. Knock / Detect Secret door / Invisibility for skill monkey (assuming you are looking to replace the rogue position). Free persistent spells later on for buffs.

That's pretty good for CL shenanigans, though I'm more partial to the Master Spellthief/Sublime Chord loop.  It just seems more practicable, in that I don't have to haul around a whole retinue to cast with.  As far as the skill monkeying I was looking more for social skills and knowledge skills, since with the spells you mention I could totally invalidate the Rogue (which I'm trying not to do).  Also, I'm rather partial to ScM, so I'd need to fit that in there.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 08:29:43 PM »
Stuff about Seers

Psionics are the one thing we're not allowed (typically, I'll have to check) for thematic reasons.
If arcane spellcasters of any stripe are allowed, psionics should be too.

They basically take all the bat shit out of the equation and bend the universe with their minds.

Unless you like the 'flavor' (ie, stupidity) of dancing the Macarena while singing 'I'm a Little Teapot' and eating a live spider in order to climb up a wall?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 08:31:34 PM by Lycanthromancer »
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

kalaskaagathas

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 08:34:53 PM »
Stuff about Seers

If arcane spellcasters of any stripe are allowed, psionics should be too.

They basically take all the bat shit out of the equation and bend the universe with their minds.

Unless you like the 'flavor' (ie, stupidity) of dancing the Macarena while singing 'I'm a Little Teapot' and eating a live spider in order to climb up a wall?

Hey, it's not like it's my decision.  I like Psionics very well (as evidenced by my little handbook, which is forthcoming, which you've been a great help in compiling) but I also know Psionics better than the DM.

Also

They basically take all the bat shit out of the equation

I see what you did there.

Andion Isurand

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
  • An Anomaly of The Art
    • MageRune - Andion Isurand's Homebrew Blog
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2011, 08:42:24 PM »
(POLL) Would you rule that feats, synergy bonuses from history ranks, and other things that normally boost Bardic Knowledge ... would by extension boost Bardic Knack for a bard?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 08:50:24 PM by Andion Isurand »

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2011, 08:44:02 PM »
Hey, it's not like it's my decision.
Play a wizard. A very serious, studious necromancer, who enjoys delving into Knowledge What Man Was Not Meant To Know. And describe what he has to do every time he casts a spell. Thus, this 80 year old man with no sense of humor at all, has to dance the Hokey Pokey, the Macarena, or I'm a Little Teapot whenever he summons forth the hordes of the underworld to do his vile bidding.

Oh, and he sings Barbie Girl for his verbal component. Or his mix CD of Celine Dion.

I like Psionics very well (as evidenced by my little handbook, which is forthcoming, which you've been a great help in compiling) but I also know Psionics better than the DM.
Wait, what?

Also

They basically take all the bat shit out of the equation

I see what you did there.
Kind of hard to miss. Especially with no roll to hit.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 08:47:10 PM by Lycanthromancer »

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

kalaskaagathas

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2011, 08:50:16 PM »
I like Psionics very well (as evidenced by my little handbook, which is forthcoming, which you've been a great help in compiling) but I also know Psionics better than the DM.
Wait, what?

The Psionic Tricks Handbook I'm editing, to which you have contributed (to date):
  • Tiny von BigMcLargeHuge
  • The Feat Battery Trick (at least I think it was you)
  • Suck it Wizards, (Su) Psi and You
  • Frickin' Laser Beams

But back on topic(ish), Andion Isurand, I don't know about feats, but I don't see the logic in having History Synergy boost Bardic Knack.

Back on the original topic, I'm liking that Ultimate Master Spellthief Sublime Chord build, but I'm wondering if there's a sneaky way to get Bardic Music (apart from Bard 1) so I can get into Sublime Chord with more Wizard (or Wizard advancing) Levels.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2011, 08:55:28 PM »
How do you feel about using summonlings or called creatures to fill roles?  A Malconvoker can do plenty of this.

Can you use simulacrum?  If so, that covers your holes.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 08:57:23 PM by Endarire »
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"