Author Topic: 4e newbie's question about rangers.  (Read 2247 times)

Inari1991

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
4e newbie's question about rangers.
« on: February 25, 2011, 03:31:00 AM »
My group is starting a game of 4e, and I looked at the roles and some of the classes, and decided that a ranger would be cool.  Even have a semi-cool, if a little uninspired and cliche concept, but good enough for a starting character.  Then I started looking at the powers, they looked really nice, but then I looked at the fighter's powers and got a little confused.  The fighter seems to have more damaging powers than the ranger.  Fighters are supposed to be defenders right?  So wouldn't that mean that they do less damage than the strikers?  Or am I missing something? :banghead

Banor

• Curious George
Re: 4e newbie's question about rangers.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 05:43:54 PM »
Rangers are probably the single most damaging class in the game right now. You get your damage mostly from stacking static bonus and attacking a lot of times per round. You will start slow at lower levels until you pick a decent pair of weapons, Armband of Power and a couple of damage boosting feats.

On the side note, the Fighter is probably one of the best class all around, great defense, great damage and awesome support. In 4e, Defender are supposed to be on top of their damage (to actually be a Threat to team monster) and to enforce mark Punishment.

I suggest you go and read the awesome Ranger Handbook by LDB on the WotC boards, you will get all the support you need to be a real striker !

SeekingKnight

• Curious George
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 07:10:40 PM »
I may be joining a 4th ed game.  I have both marital powers books as well as PHB1.  Being so use to 3.x I am tempted on trying out a rogue or warlord.  I have no clue what wpi;d be considered good builds for either class so suggestions are welcomed.

Reyemile

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 05:59:07 PM »
Warlords are incredibly party dependant. The best warlords are the ones that give out a huge number of free basic attacks to their allies; however, only certain classes are capable of making effective basic attacks, meaning that in the wrong party a "lazy" warlord can be useless. As for rogues, all the builds have their merits except for the Ruthless Ruffian. However, when you get to Paragon, it's pretty much universally agreed that the "crit-fisher" Daggermaster paragon path is in a tier by itself.