Author Topic: Elf Psychic Warrior/Fighter/Dervish build (eberron). Suggestions appreciated  (Read 2234 times)

Greyfell

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
I'm taking a break from running my current campaign and another player offered to run a 1-21 arc in Eberron. I've wanted to try psychic warrior and dervish for quite some time now, and if I can get the two together, even better.

General build idea so far (stats are 32 point buy, by dm request no 'tier one' classes and no Tome of Battle)

Valenar Elf
Psychic warrior 4/fighter 2/Dervish X/Revenant Blade 5

feats (so far)
1st: Bladebearer of the Valenar (double scimitar as martial weapon, other bonuses)
PW 1: Weapon Focus: Valenar double scimitar
PW 2: expeditious dodge
3rd: Mobility
FB 1: combat expertise
FB 2: Twin Weapon Fighting
6th: Power attack
9th: Heroic spirit (? kind of sad not to use that extra ability with bladebearer)

Taking advantage of the cool quirk of double weapons: that you can wield them in two weapon fighting as weapon + light weapon, but if you want to you can also double hand them and only attack with one end, getting power attack bonuses as though it is a two handed weapon.

Of course, once Revenant Blade 5 kicks in, then it's twin weapon fighting with x2 bonus power attacks added in for both ends, while dervish dancing.

Psychic warrior is for low level utility like Vigor, Expansion, and Hustle as well as allowing me to pick up Speed of Thought feat later for the sweet +10 stackable bonus to speed.

Thoughts on stat spread? How many levels of dervish would be good? Feats to close out the build?
Yes, I'm a huge fan of 3rd edition bards.  Keep this in mind if I mention something bard-centric in response to posts.

Shadeseraph

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
First, take a look at this: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870778/The_Dervish_Handbook

Be aware that Dervish isn't too good a class. It's not bad either, but usually you can do similar things with far less sacrifice. Barbarian 1 for Lion Totem, Cloistered Cleric 1 for Travel Devotion and a bunch of turning attempts or Binder 3 for Paimon's Dance of Death usually trumps over Dervish Dance. That said, you can take those in addition to Dervish, as they sinergyze nicely with the class (Whirling frenzy, knowledge devotion for free, Dex to dmg...).

Anyway, if you still want to use Dervish, I'd go all the way until the end, because you -need- those dances to be effective, and there is no way to get them aside of levels in Dervish. And the capstone is pretty decent.

Feats. You already have the requirements, so grab Elusive Target (Complete Warrior) ASAP. It's a great feat for everyone, even more for someone provoking lots of OAs. Also, grab Acrobatic Strike (PHII), as it is a +4 to attack by the face.

Also, seeing as you'll have the posibility to PA for a decent amount, think on getting Shock trooper and any PA enhancing feats.

The guide I gave before suggested getting Close Quarters Combat. I fully agree. Grappling on any non strength focused character is lethal.

You've said you can't use ToB, but maybe you can get the feats if you compromise not to use maneuvers. If that's the case, try to get shadow blade + Razor Gloom (if you are allowed to use stances) or Stormguard Trooper (if you aren't).
[spoiler]
I hate mouth breathing fuckwits who go around spouting lies, even after being corrected on those lies, and that bait mods into helping to defend their wrongness and fail. I also hate the MBFs that don't understand the meaning of words, and that can't get a fucking clue.
Hey! I like spouting lies. It's very entertaining to observe how people on the internet are buffing their small egos by declaring victories over some stupid MBFs. :smirk
Also - I hate people who use too smart words that I don't understand. :mad

Hi Welcome

Go fuck yourself, because others won't do it for you.

Stop flirting you two.  :p
[/spoiler]

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
Revenant Blade is very awesome for a TWF with a double weapon. The last level, Legendary Force lets you treat each side of the double weapon as a two handed weapon even when you use the weapon as a double weapon. This means using TWF with 1 1/2 times your strength bonus and PA for double while simultaneously TWF'ing.

Make sure to take advantage of this. ;)

For this reason I'd get into the PrC ASAP
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 12:15:06 PM by BeholderSlayer »
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]
Allow me to welcome you both with my literal words and with an active display of how much you fit in by being tone deaf, dumb, and uncritical of your babbling myself.[/spoiler]

Greyfell

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
thats the exact reason I'm looking at revenant blade, well that and the cool thing with being able to two weapon fight OR power attack with a double weapon (I literally cannot believe I've never really read that part of power attack before).  "Hmmm, I'm not getting through it's DR... time to two hand the scimitar and really do some damage."

I can't use cloistered cleric sadly (no tier one classes and I'm pretty sure the DM won't allow a variant of one either). 

The more I look at dervish, the more I'm sort of 'meh' about it.  But considering no one in the party is playing even a tier two class (one guy is going favored soul but then going into combat medic of all things ) I think I'll do just fine in this party.  Two of the other players are pretty hard core power gamers but the third couldn't power game to save her life (my girl, I'm allowed to say that lol).  I think I'm going to try to get Revenant Blade first though, and worry about dervish (or maybe warmind so I don't completely abandon the whole psionic flavor after only 4 levels or so) later.

I found a 'revenant blade handbook' online and they mentioned the Singh Rager PrC  from Oriental Adventurers... seems pretty solid as well.
Yes, I'm a huge fan of 3rd edition bards.  Keep this in mind if I mention something bard-centric in response to posts.

Shadeseraph

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
Well, you could still take (some variant of) paladin 3 and buy Travel devotion with a feat.

And Barbarian 1 is still great, even if it is less versatile, and requires less investment.
[spoiler]
I hate mouth breathing fuckwits who go around spouting lies, even after being corrected on those lies, and that bait mods into helping to defend their wrongness and fail. I also hate the MBFs that don't understand the meaning of words, and that can't get a fucking clue.
Hey! I like spouting lies. It's very entertaining to observe how people on the internet are buffing their small egos by declaring victories over some stupid MBFs. :smirk
Also - I hate people who use too smart words that I don't understand. :mad

Hi Welcome

Go fuck yourself, because others won't do it for you.

Stop flirting you two.  :p
[/spoiler]

Greyfell

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
I havent played with this particular DM before (he's always been a player in games I'm DM'ng in or also playing in) so not sure of how much tolerance he has for dipping 1-2 levels of classes :)  I'll ask later and then see what he'll let me get away with.  I mean, after all... I'm a complete non-caster.  How much damage could I do to his campaign?   :smirk

the big thing with revenant blade is it is specifically designed for the setting, so there's really no question of it being allowed.  The real effort is making it good.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
Well, you could still take (some variant of) paladin 3 and buy Travel devotion with a feat.

And Barbarian 1 is still great, even if it is less versatile, and requires less investment.

I'm assuming you meant Paladin 4, there. And that's not a bad dip at all, in this case.
You can get:
4 BAB, 4d10 HD, Know Greatest Enemy (60', know where highest CR enemy is), Smite Evil 1/day, Divine Grace, Lay on Hands, Aura of Resolve, Enduring Personality (Immune to CHA damage/drain), Holy Warrior (Bonus Feat! Extra Turning?), Turn Undead.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.