Author Topic: Random Thought  (Read 1849 times)

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
Random Thought
« on: February 14, 2011, 07:07:41 PM »
Basically, this is the very rudiments of a class.

Keep this in mind while you read this:
A Move action is 3 Time.
A Standard is 5 Time.
A Full-Round is 8 Time.
Swift actions are not created out of Time.

First level, this class has 8 Time a round. Basically, this just represents their normal action distribution.

Frugality (Ex): At 3rd level, and every 4 levels thereafter, you add 1 to the amount of Time you have in 1 round. For example, a level 11 <class name> has 11 Time, meaning they could perform 2 Standard actions, 1 Standard and 2 Move, 3 Move actions, or 1 Full-Round action and 1 Move a round.

Time's Eddies (Su): At 5th level, you may spend Time as an Immediate action to perform an action during someone else's place in the initiative count; this ability costs twice the normal amount of Time for that action. Every 5 levels after 5th level, the amount of Time this costs is reduced by 1; for example, an 11th level <class name> Would be able to perform either a Move or Standard action as an Immediate action.

??? (Ex): At ?th level, a <class name> may take another swift or immediate action per round.

So, whada ya think?
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

BrokeAndDrive

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Why are there no ghosts of dinosaurs?
Re: Random Thought
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 08:54:03 PM »
Time Dilation (Ex): You have double the amount of Time every round.

Capstone ability?
Random quotes:[spoiler]I think Roy's coinages are shitty and dumb, but Failroy has to take the cake for the dumbest new compound word of the year
~

That was kind of the point. I was trying to be a Roy parody, but I guess it didn't come across overly well.

==

JaronK is of course most famous for his massive thought experiments into placing classes into tiers. While a kind of nifty idea, and a decent enough way to think about stuff, his particular tier assignments were basically insane. Apparently the criteria he used was to assign classes relative strength based on what bullshit he personally would let them get away with at 20th level.

So Factotums were rated very highly, because apparently he would let them use Rokugan-exclusive skills with Forgotten Realms-exclusive weapons from the back of MM2 templated warbeasts. But Rogues suck donkey dick, becuase he wouldn't let them use Use Magic Device to read scrolls of Planar Binding. It was a very surreal argument.
~

And to think the system was immortalized in OOTS. As a general rule, I try to avoid all tier discussion there because it's the De Facto system at BG, and I'm not going to change anyone's mind.

Besides, I think if most people are pressed, they will admit that it's just an estimate, anyway, and that results can vary from table to table.
~

My only real complaint with the tier system is that at one point I was tired (tiered?) of hearing about it.[/spoiler]

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 10:09:52 PM »
That is a little strong, me thinks.

I mean, you would be able to pull off 5 standards a round, every round...
Or 8 Move actions, if you really need to walk somewhere...
Or, hell, even just go ahead and take 2 Standards and 2 Full-Round actions a round. No-one is stopping you.

I actually was also going to give them a Spare Time pool that would equal 3/4 their class level, and which they could:
-spend for class features, or
-augment your Time amount on a single turn (limited in amount)
It would be encounterly, and have no recharge.

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 11:32:28 PM »
Ever seen the Exalted Tick system?
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 02:45:44 AM »
I take it this is similar? It draws a bit more from AD&D than that, though, since I've never read the ruleset for Exalted.

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 04:39:47 AM »
Well, Exalted's is related, but not the same. Theres no rounds, per se.

Combat starts at Tick 0
Each Action has a Speed. Taking an action moves you as many ticks as your Speed ahead. You can't act until you reach that next tick. When your tick comes around again, your defenses refreshes.
Actions performed on the same tick happen simultaneously.
Your first action is always Join Battle, which has a variable Speed based on your initiative roll(6-Join Battle roll in Exalted, which would translate to roughly 20-Init or so).
When you flurry(which is basically combining actions), you take the highest Speed of all the actions. Flurry also imposes a -X penalty to all actions in the flurry, where X is the number of actions in the flurry, and an additional penalty for every action in the flurry before the current action.
Each weapon determines the maximum number of times it can be used in a flurry by it's Rate.
Every weapon has a Speed, which is how fast it attacks and draws. This Speed goes to 3 at the lowest without shenanigans.
Moving is independent of other actions, you can move once every tick(so if you're flurrying a Speed 3 action you might as well throw in 3 ticks of movement), but dashing(aka running) and jumping must be flurried, to their own distance limits.

Of course the whole business is problematic when you notice that their attack resolution is a 11 step process. Goddamn.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 06:34:05 PM »
Spare Time: A <class name> has an amount of extra Spare Time equal to 3/4 their class level. This amount of Time is refreshed at the beginning of each combat, or once every 5 minutes outside of combat. A <class name> may spend this Spare Time as if it were normal Time.

Basically, at 20th level, these guys can splurge and have 28 Time for 1 round in combat. This is the equivalent of 5 Standard actions and 1 Move action.

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

SneeR

• Bi-Curious George
  • Sneering
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 03:01:37 PM »
Quickened spells are swift actions, according to Complete Arcane. You'd say that seventh level is a good time for spellcasters to cast 3 spells a round?
2 quickened and one standard or full-round.
The answer to everything:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
SneeR
[spoiler]
I don't know if the designers meant you to take Skill Focus for every feat.
Sounds a little OP.

The monk is clearly the best class, no need to optimize here. What you are doing is overkill.

It's like people who have no idea what a turn signal is. They ruin it for everyone else.
When another driver brandishes a holy symbol and begins glowing with divine light, seek cover or get spattered with zombie brains. I do not see what is so complicated about this.
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 03:03:52 PM »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]