Author Topic: Optimizing Hunter's Mercy (without Masters of the Wild or Silver Marshes...)  (Read 7597 times)

rypta

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Hah!  I don't think the DM is quite so open minded...

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Hah!  I don't think the DM is quite so open minded...
Hey, you guys could fill in every potential niche in a group.

Make everyone a kobold for more fun.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

rypta

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Well let me hedge my bets here.  It'll either be a mystic ranger base or a factotum base.  How should I distribute my stats in either case?

I've got 18, 17, 16, 15, 14, 13.

For the ranger base, I had originally thought STR 17, DEX 18, CON 14, INT 13, WIS 15, CHA 16.  Save DC's aren't going to matter since the only spells I'm likely to cast are buffs, but I'm thinking it might be worth it to have a higher wisdom for bonus spell slots?  Maybe STR 16, DEX 18, CON 15, INT 13, WIS 17, CHA 14?

For the factotum base, I'm thinking STR 16, DEX 17, CON 15, INT 18, WIS 14, CHA 13?

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
For the ranger, why not place your 18 in Wisdom, then grab Zen Archery ASAP?

But the factotum array looks good.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
He's getting Dex to damage from Fighter. But if you dropped that in favor of spellcasting(good idea) then Zen Archery is a better bet.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
He's getting Dex to damage from Fighter. But if you dropped that in favor of spellcasting(good idea) then Zen Archery is a better bet.
Does Dex replace or add to damage?

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
Replace I think.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
Here's the text of the ability:

Vital Aim: The Targetteer may add his Dexterity modifier to his damage rolls with a ranged-weapon attack instead of his strength bonus. The Targetteer cannot replace a strength penalty to damage rolls with his Dexterity modifier unless his dexterity modifier is also a penalty. The Targetteer cannot use his Dexterity modifier to replace his strength modifier when attacking creatures immune to critical hits.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Here's the text of the ability:

Vital Aim: The Targetteer may add his Dexterity modifier to his damage rolls with a ranged-weapon attack instead of his strength bonus. The Targetteer cannot replace a strength penalty to damage rolls with his Dexterity modifier unless his dexterity modifier is also a penalty. The Targetteer cannot use his Dexterity modifier to replace his strength modifier when attacking creatures immune to critical hits.
It looks like he'd be better off having a decent Str score and using Wisdom to attack. After all, he has a bunch of good scores available.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Andras

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
I'm in the process of applying to PbP game (RHoD set in Eberron) and I'm pretty much set on playing an archer.  I've been wanting make particular use of the Hunter's Mercy spell (auto-crit with a bow) since it seems like a legitimate way to build an actual sniper in 3.5. 

How can I get the most damage out of a single shot?

Starting level is 6, no flaws.  Humans get a +2 to any ability score.
Stats are (rolled!) 18, 17, 16, 15, 14, 13
Mystic Ranger and Targetteer Fighter are allowed.  Unfortunately, Peerless Archer and Deepwood Sniper are not.

What about a Chameleon build? Cham1 @ 6th level gives you 2 1st level spells plus your wis bonus, and a +2 bonus on fort and Will saves by taking  the divine focus. 2 levels of Rogue (@ 4th and 5th character level) would get you the skill points needed.