Author Topic: A Guide to Proper Scouting  (Read 34348 times)

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
Re: A Guide to Proper Scouting
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2011, 08:58:59 AM »
The Vecna-Blooded template grants... immunity to divinations I think?

Yes it does... and better!

It lets you know the name, location, and description of anyone who targets you with a divination.

I was thrilled with that ability when I first read it.

If you are capable of teleporting and attacking hard and fast, then you can kill a lot of nosy people.
I don't employ memes. Mass-produced ammunition, even from reputable manufacturers, tends to malfunction on occasion.

Amadi

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2011, 10:49:48 AM »
DotU has a PrC that, at level 9, becomes hard to pin down with any non-sight detection methods. You will seem to be within a point 30ft from where you really are.

Of course, it requires nine levels of suck and is therefore not worth it unless you're gestalting or something, but might be worth a mention.

The Cavestalker. The ability is called Void In Space, and essentially does what the Darkstalker feat does, although not as good. But nullifying Blind-fight is pretty nice.

Also, @JaronK, the skill trick Listen to This is really handy for scouting types.

Except, RAW, it does affect mindsight. RAI, clearly not, but RAW I think it does.

GrokThis

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2011, 01:03:28 PM »
DotU has a PrC that, at level 9, becomes hard to pin down with any non-sight detection methods. You will seem to be within a point 30ft from where you really are.

Of course, it requires nine levels of suck and is therefore not worth it unless you're gestalting or something, but might be worth a mention.

The Cavestalker. The ability is called Void In Space, and essentially does what the Darkstalker feat does, although not as good. But nullifying Blind-fight is pretty nice.

Also, @JaronK, the skill trick Listen to This is really handy for scouting types.

Except, RAW, it does affect mindsight. RAI, clearly not, but RAW I think it does.

No. Drow of the Underdark, page 70: "...This effectively makes you undetectable to blindsense, blindsight, and tremorsense." Emphasis mine. It says nothing about mindsight, or even scent. The Darkstalker feat includes scent as well. In retrospect, both abilities are about equal.Void In Space lets you only need to succeed on a move silent check to become effectively invisible to creatures with those abilities, plus nullifying Blind-fight, but like you said, there's 9 levels of suck. Darkstalker makes it so you need to succeed on both hide/move silent, but you get to flank creatures with all around vision. Yay for rogues!

« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 01:12:56 PM by GrokThis »

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2011, 05:08:47 PM »
RAW, I think it works against more than just blindsense, blindsight and tremorsense.  You're indetectable to those senses.  Other nonvisual senses can detect you, but think you're 30' off from where you are.

When you reach 9th level, your attunement to the particular atmosphere of the Underdark allows you to warp the sounds, scents, and vibrations you give off, making you invisible to creatures that rely on senses other than sight to detect others. This effectively makes you undetectable to blindsense, blindsight, and tremorsense. You still make noises and vibrations (though a successful Move Silently check can mask the sounds), but creatures that cannot see are incapable of determining your true location and believe that you are 30 feet in a random direction from where you are actually located.

In addition, this ability nullifies the effect of the Blind-Fight feat against you.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Amadi

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2011, 06:07:22 PM »
Indeed, that is how I read it too, TML. Of course, the flavour is completely against it, but RAW it would stop anything except sight. RAW it even stops people from pinpointing you through listen if they cannot see you.

Shigure

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • aka: The Annoying Git
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2011, 06:33:25 PM »
The Vecna-Blooded template grants... immunity to divinations I think?

Yes it does... and better!

It lets you know the name, location, and description of anyone who targets you with a divination.

I was thrilled with that ability when I first read it.

If you are capable of teleporting and attacking hard and fast, then you can kill a lot of nosy people.

Where does one find Vecna Blooded btw? Cause that sounds like a great catch.

I'd like to add that the Psychic Rogue, from the Mind's Eye articles, makes for a great scout...especially using Expanded Knowledge to add powers like Glorytongue to your list...cause who doesn't want a 100ft tongue thats practically its own creature? It allows for touch spell or power delivery which means Dimensional Pocket, a 1st lvl psychic rogue power, allows you to steal trinkets and items via the tongue.

I will also add that obtain familiar with some of the options from Dragon, such as the Fly Familiar, really make great scout assistants and spies.

Glorytongue: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/wn/20020925a
Psychic Rogue: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 06:37:23 PM by Shigure »
-=Si vis pacem para bellum=-

Antariuk

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2011, 09:43:30 PM »
First, thanks for this very useful guide. I have however one question:

Kobolds:  Especially with the Web Enhancement, Kobolds have a lot of useful stealth abilities to work with (Tiny size when needed can be great!).  Of course you can do the Dragonwrought Kobold cheese, but that will rapidly send you towards "God who felt like doing stealth today" instead of a character that feels like a scout.  The Kobold Domain is great for Clerics who want to play scout.

Which web enhancement?

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2011, 09:47:03 PM »
First, thanks for this very useful guide. I have however one question:

Kobolds:  Especially with the Web Enhancement, Kobolds have a lot of useful stealth abilities to work with (Tiny size when needed can be great!).  Of course you can do the Dragonwrought Kobold cheese, but that will rapidly send you towards "God who felt like doing stealth today" instead of a character that feels like a scout.  The Kobold Domain is great for Clerics who want to play scout.

Which web enhancement?

That be it, I guess.
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2011, 04:03:07 AM »
ghostwalk options are useful to note as far as gaining ghost and ghost-like qualities. different ruleset from standard ghosts, so mileage will vary.
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2011, 04:08:09 AM »
Also, Ghostwalk, while released after 3.5 debuted, was still published as a 3.0 book. Whoopses.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2011, 04:46:58 AM »
Also, Ghostwalk, while released after 3.5 debuted, was still published as a 3.0 book. Whoopses.
At least they have a seventeen page official conversion.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2011, 05:20:32 AM »
pfffft! nice.

GrokThis

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2011, 02:24:11 PM »
RAW, I think it works against more than just blindsense, blindsight and tremorsense.  You're indetectable to those senses.  Other nonvisual senses can detect you, but think you're 30' off from where you are.

When you reach 9th level, your attunement to the particular atmosphere of the Underdark allows you to warp the sounds, scents, and vibrations you give off, making you invisible to creatures that rely on senses other than sight to detect others. This effectively makes you undetectable to blindsense, blindsight, and tremorsense. You still make noises and vibrations (though a successful Move Silently check can mask the sounds), but creatures that cannot see are incapable of determining your true location and believe that you are 30 feet in a random direction from where you are actually located.

In addition, this ability nullifies the effect of the Blind-Fight feat against you.

I concede now that it would work against scent as you "warp the sounds, scents, and vibrations you give off," but I still argue that it wouldn't work against Mindsight, or Lifesense, or other non-sensual means of detection, as they have nothing to do with sound, scent, or vibration. (Even if lifesense works like blindsight, it also works like deathwatch.)

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2011, 02:26:11 PM »
How the fuck are Mindsight/Lifesense not senses? Jesus Christ.

GrokThis

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2011, 04:47:03 PM »

I am not disputing this. Non-sensual was a poor choice of words. Extra sensory (senses that do not rely on physical stimuli, ie. Mindsight or Lifesense) would probably be more accurate. However, hostility towards someone who has a differing opinion isn't very becoming on a forum designed for civil discourse.

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2011, 11:34:15 PM »

I am not disputing this. Non-sensual was a poor choice of words. Extra sensory (senses that do not rely on physical stimuli, ie. Mindsight or Lifesense) would probably be more accurate. However, hostility towards someone who has a differing opinion isn't very becoming on a forum designed for civil discourse.
He wasn't being hostile towards you, he was being shocked at the stupidity of what you said.
Skill prodigy from Kingdoms of Kalamar

Anarchy_Kanya

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Bisexuality rocks! Anarchy Rules! Anarchy Girl FTW
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2011, 01:35:16 AM »
I'm with GrokThis on this one.
Fly Away With Me!
We Are Angels! Anarchy!
[spoiler]
Once my 12 level VoP exalted Monk beat a Horned Devil. ALONE! The only dmg the devil could do to me was from one spell-like that he menaged to shoot out before he droped. :D
wow... you are the epitome of trolling...

Non complete list of people here that are not fuckwits: bearsarebrown, BeholderSlayer, Dictum Mortum, Ithamar, Kajhera, RelentlessImp, SeekingKnight, Shiki, Solo.
You didn't include yourself. Does that mean you're a fuckwit? ???

Hi Welcome
Then I can assume the answer to the question is "Yes".
[/spoiler]
Making Fighters special - lil project by me.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2011, 02:46:09 PM »
JaronK: just so you know, Mindsight and Life Sense can both be taken by psicrystals, since they both have access to telepathy and have no Con scores, and they can take Darkstalker as well.

Psicrystals make excellent scouts and scouting buddies.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2011, 09:45:20 PM »
JaronK: just so you know, Mindsight and Life Sense can both be taken by psicrystals, since they both have access to telepathy and have no Con scores, and they can take Darkstalker as well.

Wow, and all this time I thought the requirement was "undead."  But you're right, it's "no con score."  That's awfully handy.

Psicrystals make excellent scouts and scouting buddies.

Drat, now I have to go put a bunch of psionic classes in there.

JaronK

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2011, 10:25:13 PM »
There is a metamagic feat that helps with the whole "not being detected" thing.

Insidious Magic. Gotta love it.
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing