Author Topic: Needless Complications RPG  (Read 1699 times)

emissary666

• King Kong
    • Email
Needless Complications RPG
« on: February 11, 2011, 10:39:47 PM »
I am trying to make the most needlessly complicated rpg, but I am in need of help. I have neither the resources, experience, or time to actually put together the most complicated rules I can think of. So far, I am looking for inspiration from GURPS (which I have never played) and FATAL (which I shall never play), but I need more systems to draw upon. Any suggestions?
I make little kids cry
Steady As A Goat
Warning: You may have already been set on fire

Bread does not need a reason

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Re: Needless Complications RPG
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 10:57:32 PM »
I advise you to rethink FATAL, it is the greatest game I have ever played and from then on I will never play another RPG. The rules for working out the vaginal circumference of a 10 year old are my favourite even if they can go into the negatives.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 11:03:13 PM »
Also, FATAL is too simple. I suggest you look at that Star Trek RPG that had you run square roots for some of the equations.

I can help add needless complexity, right here; from now on, the modifiers are equal to the integral of x to the power of that statistic minus your age plus your height in centimeters from zero to the nth decimal expansion of pi to the nth, where n is your shoe size.

Confusing, huh?
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

emissary666

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 11:50:56 PM »
Also, FATAL is too simple. I suggest you look at that Star Trek RPG that had you run square roots for some of the equations.

I can help add needless complexity, right here; from now on, the modifiers are equal to the integral of x to the power of that statistic minus your age plus your height in centimeters from zero to the nth decimal expansion of pi to the nth, where n is your shoe size.

Confusing, huh?

FATAL is simple, but creating a character requires rolls for the most needless of things, like anal circumference, and can end up pretty weird, like an infant capable of performing Goatse. Also, while insane equations will be an option for GMs, I'm trying to look at the basics, things that make the game look playable. For the more advanced crazy things, there is a rule that anytime a character critically succeeds or fails, a new complication is rolled or declared (ie: players may no longer turn left)
I make little kids cry
Steady As A Goat
Warning: You may have already been set on fire

Bread does not need a reason

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 12:17:36 AM »
I've never played FATAL or GURPS, but I've heard stories.  The worst I've played is just 2E D&D.  It's worst problem was it's a combination of low stat to slow stat (THAC0 vs AC) to roll high on some things, and saving throw tables where low values are good and high rolls are good, combined with ability checks where you want to roll under your stat (low roll is good), and sometimes percentile dice thrown in for the lulz.  It was workable, but it was so arbitrary, and you needed to remember so much shit just to make the game keep moving.

It was bad to the point that I still have some of the common tables memorized and I haven't played 2E in over ten years.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Necrosnoop110

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 02:06:41 AM »
It was bad to the point that I still have some of the common tables memorized and I haven't played 2E in over ten years.
:lol Yes, so true.

Shadeseraph

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 02:48:02 AM »
Remember also that FATAL is the most historically accurate game out there, which add more complication by adding ways of submiting a woman. Remember the complex moral implications of this, by which you can sell her, violate her, let your friends rape her, kill her, ask for a ransom from her family, or all the previous instances altogether.

Alternatelly, you could take a look to HERO system. It's a pretty good one, but it requires too much effort to play.
[spoiler]
I hate mouth breathing fuckwits who go around spouting lies, even after being corrected on those lies, and that bait mods into helping to defend their wrongness and fail. I also hate the MBFs that don't understand the meaning of words, and that can't get a fucking clue.
Hey! I like spouting lies. It's very entertaining to observe how people on the internet are buffing their small egos by declaring victories over some stupid MBFs. :smirk
Also - I hate people who use too smart words that I don't understand. :mad

Hi Welcome

Go fuck yourself, because others won't do it for you.

Stop flirting you two.  :p
[/spoiler]