Author Topic: A Collaborated Armament Fix  (Read 10602 times)

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
A Collaborated Armament Fix
« on: May 02, 2008, 04:45:57 PM »
I figured this is an appropriate place for fixes, so I hope I'm right with my assumption.

Fellow board members, it is brutally obvious that 3.5 has several gears in the wrong places. The system looks fine, but as CO has proven there are serious power differences between the classes. We know that a Wizard, Druid, or Cleric can do every job in the planes with ease. We know that Candles of Invocation are broken out the wazoo. We also know that there are several things wrong with every class that exists.

But in order to fix things, we must start with the most basic pieces of it, and work our way up.

Pathfinder is supposed to be a fix for 3.5. Truthfully, I cannot confirm this for myself. As much as I would love to keep supporting WotC's changes, somethings have to be fixed by the players more than by the producers. So I bring you my proposal.

Let's fix 3.5 the way CO would do it. Let's make changes to the system that we can agree with.

Those of you who know me would know that I am a very flexible person, and fully capable writer (if a little rusty in the grammar department). And as we all know, very few people support outside sources meant to fix systems, while at the same time implementing their own house rules to try and achieve balance.

We know what this system is capable of. We know how powerful a character can be. We are CO. We are the ones who bring the power to the table. We are the ones who make this system bend over backwards for even the lowest of Fighters.

Just as I have proposed the CODMs for the future of the game's existence, I will propose a change to the very past itself.

Fellow board members, let's fix the past the right way.

Let's make our own version of 3.5, the same way Paizo did with the Pathfinder system. And we will start with the most basic of fixes; weapons and armor.

We glance at the tables each and every time we make a character. We know that Mithral Breastplate is the best light armor in Core. We know that the Spiked Chain is one hell of a weapon. We know the advantages and hindrances that lie in TWFing. And we know that a Barbarian with a Greatsword and a properly optimized build can dish out well over 400 points of damage a round, with a reasonable chance of hitting even a Great Wyrm Gold Dragon.

We know what enhancements to put on our weapons and armor to eek out that last few points of badassery that makes our characters the die-hards they really are. And let's admit, many of us love every minute of glory we get around the playing table.

So let's make some of that glory for ourselves. Help me out here.

What We Need

My resources are limited. I'm only one person, after all. In order to encompass every inch of 3E, we need to work together. Normally, we are not allowed to post information from non-OGL sources, at least not verbatim. We won't have to violate that rule in order to do this.

I need a compilation of all of the various weapons and armor there is, including the enhancements we can put on them. I currently have the following sources to search from:

MM2-MM5
Sandstorm
Stormwrack
Dragon Magic
Dragon Compendium
Draconomicon
Core
XPH
Lords of Madness
WotC's own site
BoED
BoVD
MIC
Eberron Campaign Setting

And several others. Due to my recent RL problems, I am unable to access my books and the internet simultaneously. I also cannot post from my own home due to these very restrictions. As such, I need the assistance from all of my fellows on the net to compile a list of the various weapons, armor, and enhancements that exist.

Basically, I need the bare bones  of each weapon. I'll give a sample of the format I am looking for:

Spiked Chain
Reach, Two-handed, Tripping, Disarming
Finesse: Yes
Type: Exotic
Damage: 2d4
Insert special rules behind the weapon here.

Brilliant Energy
Cost to enchant: +4
Type: Weapon
Basic description of the effect this enhancement provides, including the # of uses (if applicable).

Material Name: Adamantine
Listed in: Core
Basic effect: Ignore hardness of objects, provided that the hardness is lower than 20.
Hardness/HP: 20/40
Armor Effect: Provides DR.
Special: Doubles weight.

By avoiding both the price and weight, and even abridging the effects to bare minimum (the same way Crystal Keep does) required to use the effect (with the rest going through pure DM's judgment), we can post them. Obviously, trademarked names of characters and other effects should be avoided.

Remember, we aren't trying to allow people to access info about something they don't have. We are trying to compile sources to fix something. As such, avoid verbatim wording on the effect. Give a general description of it, and basic information about the item in question. We don't want to start a legal issue.

Once we have enough to work off of we can begin fixing the weapons and balancing them out. I need the weapons+armor, materials, and enhancements from the A&EG, Races trilogy, and Frostburn in order to proceed with this.

Again, we aren't trying to violate copyrights with this fix. The armaments, abilities, and materials that are to be listed here are to contain just enough info to work from. They are not OGL, and as such we need to avoid reproducing the exact item that was printed.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
Re: A Collaborated Armament Fix
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 05:17:45 PM »
I don't know that you necessarily need to replicate all weapons that exist.  If we are talking about design rather than compiling why not talk about making your own weapons and armor system? 
Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 06:31:47 PM »
I don't know that you necessarily need to replicate all weapons that exist.  If we are talking about design rather than compiling why not talk about making your own weapons and armor system? 

Making them myself is easier when I know about every weapon type that has been covered. It is something to base my own weapons off of.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 12:16:29 AM »
That makes sense to me.  I'd want a place to start to make sure everything seemed balanced.  :shrug:
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 07:00:55 PM »
That makes sense to me.  I'd want a place to start to make sure everything seemed balanced.  :shrug:

A starting point is better than an ending point. I'd rather have work than not have it.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 07:08:29 PM »
Good way to put it.
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

bhu

• Organ Grinder
  • Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 07:37:23 AM »
As a thought: Might we include a way to increase the Save DC's of items??

Some of the items Save DC's make them pretty useless at higher levels.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 05:23:29 PM »
As a thought: Might we include a way to increase the Save DC's of items??

Some of the items Save DC's make them pretty useless at higher levels.

I was planning on doing that myself.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 05:40:26 AM »
Well I can help then.  It'll be slow going because I'm in the middle of some unfortunate times in rl. 

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 03:26:28 AM »
I guess I can help as well.... try to put something later...

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 07:24:01 AM »
Well if there's several of us gonna start maybe we should post where were starting at so we dont do the same books.  And of course the OP can always chime in with where he'd like us to start first :D

Risada

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 03:02:38 PM »
Well if there's several of us gonna start maybe we should post where were starting at so we dont do the same books.  And of course the OP can always chime in with where he'd like us to start first :D

Well..... right now in my hands I have:

Secrets of Sarlona/Xendrik
Frostburn
Fiendish Codex I and II

I might be able to contact some friends to get more, but it's gonna take a while...

pfooti

• Bi-Curious George
  • Pants are for Suckers
    • /castrandom - even we don't know what it's about
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 04:52:39 PM »
This is the pattern for weapons, AFAIK:

Base Damage (1H): 1d6
Base Damage (2H): 1d8
Base Crit: 20, x2
Base Throwing range: 0
Base Specials: None

A simple weapon gets one upgrade on this: clubs have a range of 10', morningstars have a 1d8 damage die.
A martial weapon gets two upgrades: Greatswords have 2d6 damage and 19-20 crit.
An exotic weapon gets three upgrades: A bastard sword has 1d10 damage (2 bumps) and 19-20 crit

Case studies:

Spiked chains and Spinning swords are similar: base damage for their handedness (although spiked chains are 2d4 instead of 1d8, they're effectively the same, as are greataxes and greatswords), Upgrades are: (reach) (disarm-trip) (crit profile)

There are some weapons that break this rule. Greatclubs are martial weapons, they should be simple, as they only have 1 upgrade over the base weapon (damage die 1d8->1d10). Spears and longspears have x3 crit and either 20' throwing range or reach, 2 upgrades over the base weapon.

For the most part, though, things follow this pattern. Even the (say) Goliath Greatclub, 3d6 19-20 x3 exotic, follows it, since it's large. So, an exotic weapon with Damage-Die, Crit, Crit upgrades.

Now, the question remains: are these upgrades worthwhile? Spiked chains and Spinning swords get the reach-anything upgrade, while glaives get the normal-reach upgrade. They're clearly not comparable. Everyone'd use glaives if they had reach-anything. Would you trade a damage-die increase for a weapon special?

Armor is even weirder. For most armor, AC+MAX_DEX = 8. For some, it's 7, and those armors aren't balanced by better ASF or ACP (actually, they're worse than the 8 armors). And for two, it's 9: Padded Armor and Full Plate.

Crunch-wise, there's very little reason to NOT wear full plate if you're going to be wearing heavy or medium armor.

Risada

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 07:01:09 PM »
Alright, let's get this thread moving.....

Frostburn

Bone Bow
Ranged (120 ft), Two handed
Finesse: no
Type: exotic/martial
Damage: 1d10 20/x3 piercing
Functions as a composite longbow. Counts as a longbow for Weapon Focus/Specialization.
-4 penalty if used as a martial weapon. Full round action to shoot an arrow.

Glot
Ranged (10/20/30 ft), One Handed, Tripping
Type: exotic
Damage: 1d4  18-20/x2 bludgeon
Range increases to 20 ft if thrown in a flat/unobstructed surface, or to 30 ft if thrown on an icy surface.

Goad
Melee, Two handed
Damage: 2d4  20/x2 bludgeon or piercing
Piercing damage is lethal;bludgeon damage is non lethal. +2 Handle Animal checks on Huge or larger animals.

Harpoon
Thrown (30 ft), One handed
Damage: 1d10 20/x2  piercing
Reflex save (DC 10+damage dealt) or move at half speed and can't run/charge. Strenght check to control target's movements within 30 ft.
Dc 15 Concentration check to cast spells. It requires a full round action and two hands to remove the harpoon, but takes damage as the damage dealt. DC 15 Heal check removes the weapon without damaging target.

Ice axe
Melee, One handed
Type: exotic/martial
Damage: 1d6  20/x4 piercing or slashing
+1 circumstance bonus on Climb checks in mountains/icy terrain (or +4 with the EWP). -2 on attack rolls if used as a martial weapon.

Icechucker
Ranged (30 ft), Two handed
Damage: 1d12  20/x3  piercing
Fires icicles intead of bolts. Can fire javelins. Loading the icechucker requires a full round action that provokes AoO.

Iuak
Melee, One handed
Damage 1d6  19-20/x2 slashing
Ignores 3 points of hardness agains objects.

Razor Skipdisk
Ranged, One handed
Damage: 1d6  18-20/x2
Range increases to 20 ft if thrown in a flat/unobstructed surface, or to 30 ft if thrown on an icy surface. Against flying anemies, range is 10 feet.

Ritiik
Melee, Two handed, Tripping
Damage: 1d8  20/x3 piercing
Reflex save (DC 10+damage dealt) or immediately start a trip attack against the target (dropping the weapon avoid being tripped back if you fail). It requires a full round action and two hands to remove the ritiik, but takes damage as the damage dealt. DC 15 Heal check removes the weapon without damaging target.

Sugliin
Reach (10 ft), Two handed
Damage: 2d8  20/x2 piercing or slashing
Requires a full round action to make a single attack (unless you have Sugliin Mastery feat)

Tigerskull club
Melee, One handed, Disarming, Tripping
Damage: 1d6  20/x4
+2 circumstance bonus with disarm and trip attacks. You can drop the weapon to avoid being tripped.

Material name: Blue ice
Weapon Effect: +1 enhancement bonus on damage rolls for slashing weapons.
Armor effect: 1 category lighter; spells with cold descriptor doesn't suffer ASF; max DEX +1, ACP lessened by 2, -1 on Reflex saves and initiative checks(unless wearer have the Cold endurance feat).
Hardness/HP: 10/20

Material name: Rimefire ice
Weapon effect: +1 cold damage on attacks
Armor effect: none
Hardness/HP: 3/5
Special: any creature touching it takes 1 point of cold damage. Can't be used to make armor.

Material Name:

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 08:05:05 PM »
Well..I'ts gonna take a bit but I'll start the Magic Item COmpendium this weekend.  Hopefuly tonight I'll have hte first post up.

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2008, 01:58:01 AM »
Would natural weapons go here, or somewhere else?  If it's somewhere else I'll just delete this post.
My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2008, 08:16:14 AM »
MAGIC ITEM COMPENDIUM Part 1

Acidic Burst
Cost to enchant: +1
Prerequisite: Corrosive
Weapon does extra acid damage with successful critical based on the weapons Critical Multiplier (x2:+1d10, x3: +2d10, x4: +3d10).

Aquan
Cost to enchant: +2
Overcomes the Damage Reduction (and does +2d6 damage) against creatures with the Fire subtype.  Bestows 1 negative level upon any creature with the Fire subtype as long as it is held.

Arcane Might
Type: Bows (not crossbows)
As a Swift Action you may sacrifice 1 prepared arcane spell (or 1 unused spell slot) to grant a bonus to damage on the next damage roll you make equal to the sacrificed spells level.

Auran
Overcomes the Damage Reduction (and does +2d6 damage) against creatures with the Earth subtype.  Bestows 1 negative level upon any creature with the Earth subtype as long as it is held.

Banishing
3 times per day you may activate this weapons power as a free action after making a successful strike on an Outsider with 26 or fewer Hit Dice.  It must make a DC 20 Will Save or be banished to it's home plane for 24 hours (if it saves successfully it is immune to this weapons ability for 24 hours).  If teh Outsider has DR that requires an alignment or material to overcome, the Save DC increases by 2 for each property his weapon also has.

Berserker
Type: 2H Melee Weapon
+1d8 damage when you are Raging

Binding
Twice per day you may activate this weapons power as a Swift action for 10 minutes each.  If you successfully hit an opponent with the weapon during the powers duration it prevents the target from using extradimensional movement as per the Dimensional Anchor spell.

Blessed
3 times per day as a Swift action you may activate this weapons power to automatically confirm a critical against an evil foe for 1 round.   The weapon is good-aligned for purposes of overcoming damage reduction. Other effects  relating to confirming critical hits don't confer an additional benefit on a weapon that has this property.

Bloodfeeding
Type: Melee Weapon
When you deal damage to a living creature with this weapon it gains 1 blood point which it can store for up to 1 hour (max blood points 10).  When successfully damaging a creature you may activate this weapon as a Free Action to spend up to 5 blood points.  Each blood point spent increases damage by 2.  The weapon doesn't gain blood points when i uses this ability.

Bloodstone
Can store 1 Vampiric Touch spell as per the Spell Storing weapon ability.  Vampiric Touch spells stored in the weapon are Empowered.

Blurstrike
3 times per day you may activate this weapon as a Swift action. You opponent is considered Flat-footed for the next rounds attack (but only for this weapon).  Creatures who have Uncanny Dodge or that don't rely on sight are immune.

Bodyfeeder
Cost to enchant: +3
When yo successfully make a Critical hit against a living opponent you get half the e damage done as temporary hit points for 1 minute.  These do not stack with bonus hit points from another source, including this weapon.

Brash
You are immune to Fear while Raging, and your Rage lasts 3 rounds longer.

Brutal Surge
After a successful attack you may initiate a Bull Rush as a Swift Action without provoking an attack of opportunity.  If the weapon is weilded in both hands you get a +2 Bonus to the opposed Strength check.  If successful the Bull RUsh pushes the creature back teh maximum space possible allowed by the roll (provoking attacks of opportunity from everyone but you) but you do not move along with him.  Brutal Surge may be use 1 (plus your COnstituion modifier) times per day, and may not be used by another creature after you activate it.

Changeling
Cost to enchant: +2000 GP
Type: Spear, Shortspear, or Longpear
Once per round as a Swift Action you may change this weapon into a Spear, SHortspear, or Longspear.

Chargebreaker
Opponents must make a DC 14 Fort Save or be Knocked Prone if you hit with this weapon.

Charging
If you are moutned and using this weapon you do +2d6 damage with a successful Charge Attack.

Collision
Weapon does +5 damage.

Consumptive
As a standard action you may activate this weapon and it does +1d8 damage to living creatures with a syuccessful hit.  The effect lasts until you speak a second command word.

Corrosive
Weapon does +1d6 Acid damage.

Cursespewing
Whenever this weapon successfully criticals against a target it curses them for 1 minute (multiple strikes aren't cumulative).  The target is -4 on attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks.

Deadly Precision
+1d6 damage whenever you sucessfully use Sneak Attack or Sudden Strike (not cumulative if you have both).

Defensive Surge
On any round you make a successful attack with this weapon while Fighting Defensively or while using the Combat Expertise Feat you may activate this weapon as a Swift Action.  You gain a +2 bonus to AC until your next turn.  The ability may be used (1+Int modifier) times per day.

Dessicating
Does +1d4 damage against living creatures, +1d8 if they have the Water Subtype or Plant Type.

Dessicating Burst
Prerequisite: Dessicating
Weapon does extra damage on a successful critical hit.  Damage depends on the weapons critical multiplier (x2: +1d8 (+2d8 against Plants, Water subtype), x3: +2d8 (+4d8 against Plants, Water subtype), x4: +3d8 (+6d8 against Plants, Water subtype).

Disarming
+2 on Disam attempts, you cannot be Disarmed of this weapon.

Dislocator
3 times per day you may activate htis weapon as a swift action after a successful hit.  Opponent must make DC 17 Will Save or be teleported 10' in a direction of your choice.  He cant be teleported into an occupied space.

Great Dislocator
Prerequisite: Dislocator
As Dislocator but Will Save DC is 20, and distance teleported is 30'

Dispelling
3 times per day when you successfully strike a creature with this weapon you may activate it as a Free action.  The opponent is affected by a targeted Dispel Magic.

Dispelling, Greater
Prerequisite: Dispelling
Same as Dispelling weapon but target is affected by a Greater Dispel Magic.

Divine Wrath
As a Swift Action you can expend a Turn Undead attempt to +1d6 damage per point of Charisma Modifier to undead for 1 round (Minimum +1d6).

Domineering
Will Save DC 16 or Shaken for 1 minute, effect doesnt stack with other Fear effects.

Doom Burst
If this weapon criticals the target is Shaken for 5 rounds.  This doesnt stack with other Fear effects.

Dragondoom
3 times per day you can activate this weapon as a Swift Action when using a Smite attack against a creature of the Dragon type Large or larger.  The attack does +1d6 damage for every Size Class over Medium it is.

Dragonhunter
Type: Projectile Weapon
Successful hits do 1 point of Temporary Strength  damage to Dragons.  Critical multiplier increases by 1 if target is Dragon.  Other effects realted to threatening or confirming critical hits do not work when placed on this weapon.

Eager
+2 to Initiative and damage on surprise round and first round of combat when held, may be drawn as a free action.

Energy Aura
May be activated as a Standard action to do +1d6 energy damage (choose acid, cold, electricity,or fire).  May be activated again to change energy type.

Energy Surge
Prerequisite: Corrosive, Flaming, Frost, or Shock
As a Swift Action you may use a Blast of Energy the same type as the prerequisite doing 3d6 damage.  This may be use (1+Con Modifier) times per day, and once you activate it no other creature can use it until the following day.  You may have this property once for each prerequisite Weapon Ability it is enchanted with.  Each blast only does 1 type of energy damage. (it doesnt mention range and such)

Enervating
If this weapon confirms a critical against a living creature it bestows 1 negative level for an hour.  Negative levels have no chance of becoming permanent.

Ethereal Reaver
Acts as a Ghost Touch weapon, and user can see invisible permanently as the spell.

Everbright
This weapon is immune to acid and rusting effects.  Twice per day it may emit a light in a 20' burst.  All in range must make a DC 14 Fort Save or be Blinded for 1 round.

Fiercebane
Prerequisite: Bane
Glows when the Creature Type it has the Bane property against comes within 60'.  Does extra damage to the Creature Type it has the Bane Property against with a confirmed critical (x2: +1d10, x3: +2d10, x4: +3d10).

Fleshgrinding
Type: Piercing or Slashing Melee Weapon
When you strike a living creature with this weapon you may activate it as a Free Action, and it will animate itself, grinding into the victim.  Each round at the start of your turn it does damage as per a normal hit (including damage from your Str Bonus and enchantments, but not Feats). The grinding continues for 5 rounds, or until you or someone else pulls it free.  For anyone but you this is a Standard Action, and requires a DC 20 Str check.  After 5 rounds it returns to your hand (as per a Returning Weapon), unless the target has pulled it out and is holding it.

Force
Type: Projectile Weapon
Projectiles shot from this weapon do force damage, overcoming DR, and they have no chance of missing Incorporeal targets.  It does not damage beings immune to Force damage.

Ghost Strike
Prerequisite: Ghost Touch
Incorporeal Undead hit with this weapon are vulnerable to Sneak Attacks and Critical Hits.

Harmonizing
+2 Comepetence Bonus on Perform (Sing) checks when drawn.  If you are holding the Harmonizing weapon and use a Bardic Music effect that allows or requires continuous use or concentration, the weapon can continue it for 10 rounds after you cease., unless you start another Bardic music effect, or end it as a Swift Action.

Heavenly Burst
A confirmed critical against an Evil creature does +3d6 damage and may Blind it for 1 round (DC 14 Fort negates).

Hideaway
You may activate this weapon as a Swift action causing it to become a bundle 2 Size Categories smaller.  You have a +2 Bonus to Sleight of Hand checks to Conceal this weapon.  You may revert it back to weapon form as a Swift Action.

Holy Surge
Prerequisite: Holy
(1+Cha Bonus) times per day you may activate this weapon as a Swift action upon a successful hit.  If the creature hit is Evil it does +3d6 damage.

Hunting
Damage against Favored Enemies increases +4.

Ignan
Overcomes the Damage Reduction (and does +2d6 damage) against creatures with the Water subtype.  Bestows 1 negative level upon any creature with the Water subtype as long as it is held.

Illuminating
Cost to enchant: +500 GP
When drawn brightly illuminates a 20' area, and rovides shadowy illumination 20' beyond that.

Illusion Bane
Attacks by this weapon ignore miss chances by any illusion effect (including effects that mimic them, such as a Displacer Beast).  Once per day you may activate this weapon as a Swift Action.  You may touch an illusion, subjecting it to a dispel check (dispelling part of the illsuion disrupts the whole effect for the weilder).  Or you may attack a creature and activate it to make a Dispel check (1d20+10) against all illusion spells currently affecting the target.  This is like a Targeted Dispel Magic, but only against Illusions.

Illusion Theft
Prerequisite: Illusion Bane
When using the Illusion Bane property to Dispel an Illusion thefirst effect Displeeled is stored within the weapon.  This works liek the Spell Storing ability, with the following restrictions: Must be an Illusion of any level, a spell cant be cast into teh weapon it must be stolen via the ability, and it need not strike a creature to activate the stored spell. As soon as the spell is stored the weilder is aware of it, and the spells remaining duration (which is arrested at the moment of theft).  When activated the spell resumes as if no time has past.  You may not use the Illusion Theft again until you have dipelled another Illusion effect.

Impact
Type: Bludgeoning Weapon
Double the Critical Thrreat range of a normal weapon of it's type.

Impaling
Type: Piercing Melee Weapon
3 times per day you may activate this weapon as a Swift Action, and the next attack made is a Touch Attack if it is made before the end of your next turn.  You must declare you are using this attack before making the to hit roll.

Impedance
Creatures struck byy this weapon must make a Spellcraft, intelligence, or Charisma check (whichever has higher Bonus, DC is 15+Spell level) if it tries to cast a spell or spell like ability in the next 1d6 rounds.  If it fails the check the spell or spell like ability fails, but is still used up.

Implacable
Counts as Adamantine for overcoming the DR of Aberrations.  If it strikes a living creature that creature loses 2 hp at teh start of the wielders turns for the next 5 rounds. Multiple wounds are cumulative, a DC 15 Heal check (or any effect that heals hp) stops the bleeding.  Anyone attempting to cast Healing spells on the victim while th wound is active must succeed in a DC 15 caster level check.

Incorporeal Binding
Prerequisite: Ghost Touch
Incoporeal Creatures struck by this weapon lose their 50% chance to ignore weapon damage or spells for 1 round.

Knockback
3 times per day you may activate this as a Swift Action after hitting an opponent, and he makes a DC 19 Fort save or be pushed back 5 feet (If he can be pushed back and is not a larger size class than you).

Lucky
Once per day you may reroll a failed attack roll as a Free Action.

Magebane
Enhancement Bonus is +2 higher against opponents who can use Arcane spells or Invocations, and does +2d6 damage against them.  If added to a Cold Iron weapon you do not pay the +2000 GP (DMG284).

Maiming
Does extra damage based on he weapons critical multiplier: x2: +1d6, x3: +2d6, x4: +3d6.

Manifester
Cost to enchant: +12000 GP
Once per day as a Free Action when Manifesting a Power you can imbue it with 5 power points from this weapon so long as it is not imbued with points from another source.

Metalline
As a standard action you may turn this weapon into adamantine, alchemical silver, cold iron, or ordinary steel.

Mighty Smiting
If  you have the Smite Ability it is +2 to hit and damage once per day.  Can only be used once per day regardless of how many beings weild it.  You gain one exra use per day of your Smiting ability (choose which one if you have more than one).

Mindcrusher
Psionic creatures struck by this weapons lose power points equal to half the base damage of the weapon.  Non psionics need a DC 17 Will save or lose 1 Wisdom.

Mindfeeder
For every 5 points of damage done by a successful critical hit with this weapon you gain 1 power point for 1 minute.  Multiple critical hits do not stack, you get teh higher of the multiple results.

Morphing
You can turn this weapon into any other melee or thrown weapon of the same size and type (light, 1H, 2H) asa Standard action.  If you turn it into a double weapon 1 end retians the enchantments, the other is masterwork.  If this is a double weapon and you turn it into a single, you can manifest one of the enchantments on either end (the other goes dormant til you morph it back).

Necrotic Focus
If you can do energy drain or ability drain as a special attack you can also do it with this weapon (if it allows a save, add the weapons enchantment bonus to the save dc).

Paralytic Burst
If you score a critical hit the target (even if it is immune to criticals) must make a DC 17 Will Save or be paralyzed for 1 round.

Paralyzing
Once per day may be activated as a swift action, the next creature struck must make a DC 17 Will Save or be paralyzed for 10 rounds (it gets another save each round on its turn).

Parrying
When holding this weapon (even if flatfooted) you gain a +1 Insight Bonus to Saves and AC.

Power Storing
You may store a single targeted power with a casting time of up to 1 Standard action and no more than 5 power points in this weapon as a free action.  Anytime you damage a creature with this weapon you may manifest the stored pwoer as a free action.

Precise
Type: Ranged Weapon
You effectively can use the Precise SHot Feat, but only with this weapon.

Prismatic Burst
Cost to enchant: +30000 GP
Whenever you successfully critically hit an opponent with this weapon it must make a DC 20 Save or be affected as if by a Prismatic SPray effect (even if it is not normally subject to critical hits.

Profane
As a Standard action you may surround it in a sheath of negative energy (which does 1 point of Constitution damage per round you hold it if you have a Constitution score.  Does +1d6 damage to living creatures (+2d6 to Good Outsiders).  Is considered Evil for purposes of overcoming DR.

Profane Burst
Does extra damage to living creatures on a Critical hit based on the multiplier: x2: +1d10 (+2d10 vs Good Outsiders), x3: +2d10 (+4d10 vs Good Outsiders). x4: +3d10 (+6d10 vs Good Outsiders).  If you are holding it and have a Con score you take 1d4 Con damage during the burst.  This effect happens even against beings immune to criticals.

Psibane
Enhancement Bonus increases by +2 against Psionics, and does +2d6 damage to Psionic beings.  Psionic beings holding one of these weapons are consdered to have 1 negative level so long as they hold the weapon.

Psychic
A Psychic weapon has an Enhancment Bonus based on how many Power Points its wielder currently has: 0: +1, 1-29: +2, 30-79: +3, 80-129: +4, 130+: +5.

Psychokinetic
May be activated as a Standard action.  Does +1d4 Force damage while activated.

Psychokinetic Burst
Prerequisite: Psychokinetic
Does extra Force damage with a successful critical hit: x2: +1d6. x3: +2d6, x4: +3d6.

Quick-Loading
Type: Crossbow
If a light or hand crossbow reloading is a Free action (meaning you get all of your multiple attacks), if its a Heavy Crossbow its a Move Action.  The crossbow stores 100 bolts in an extradimensional space.  Adding or removing a bolt by hand from this space is a Move Action.

Resounding
Whenever you strike an opponent ith this weapon you and all allies within 30' gain a +1 Morale bonus to attack rolls and saves for 1 round.

Revealing
Opponents struck with this weapon are outlined by Faerie Fire, as per the spell, for 1 round

Sacred
May be activated as a Standad Action.  WHile activated does +1d6 damage to Undead (+2d6 to Evil Outsiders).  Undead holding this weapon take 1 point of Charisma damage per round. Considered Good Aligned for purposes of Overcoming Damage Reduction.

Sacred Burst
Prerequisite: Sacred
DOes extra damage to Undead on a successful critical (even if the opponent is normally immune to criticals) based on the weapons critical multiplier: x2: +1d10 (+2d10 Evil Outsiders), x3: +2d10 (+4d10 Evil Outsiders), x4: +3d10 (+6d10 Evil Outsiders). If an Undead is holding this weapon during a critical it takes 1d4 CHarisma damage.

Screaming
Activated as a Standard action, does +1d4 Sonic damage.  Doesnt work in areas of magical silence.

Screaming Burst
Prerequisite: Screaming
Does extra Sonic damage on a Critical hit even if target is immune to critical hits: x2: +1d8, x3: +2d8, x4: +3d8

Shadowstrike
Cost to enchant: +5000 GP
Once per day as a Swift Action you may increase your weapons Range by 5 feet for 1 attack (target loses Dex Bonus to AC for this attack).

Shattermantle
If this weapon damages an opponent with SPell Resistance, the opponents SR is lowered by 2 for 1 round (multiple hits in 1 round stack).

Shielding
Type: Light Melee Weapon
Can be turned into a Heavy Steel Shield as a Swift Action (Enhancement Bonus to AC and for Shield Bash attacks is same as weapons Enhancement Bonus).

Sizing
You may change the weapon to any size cateory as a swift action.

Slow Burst
If you successfully Critically hit an opponent (even if it is normally immune to criticals) it must make a DC 14 Will Save or be Slowed (as per the spell) for 3 rounds.

Soulbound
Serves as a receptacle for essentia, max capacity is 2 or your normal essentia cpacity, whichever is lower. Ever point of Essentia invested in this weapon increases its Enhancement Bonus to attack and Damage rolls by +1 (max bonus +3).

Soulbound, Greater
Prerequisite: Soulbound
As SOulbound, but has a max Essentia cpacity of 4 and a max Enhancement Bonus of +5.

Soulbreaker
Prerequisite: Enervating
negative levels caused by the weapons Enervating property dont fade adter an hour.  The victim must make a DC 18 Fort Save 24 hours after being struck or lose 1 character level.

Souldrinking
Prerequisite: Enervating
When you critically hit a living creature you gain 5 temporary hp, and a +2 morale bonus to melee damage rolls for 10 minutes.  The temporary hp do not stack with temporary hp from other sources.

Spellstrike
As a Free Action at the start of your turn you may decide to allocate your weapons Enhancement Bonus to either being a bonus for your weapon or for your saving throws against spells and spell like abilities. This lasts till the start of your next turn.

Stunning
Prerequisite: Screaming
On a successful critical hit the opponent must make a DC 17 Fort Save or be Stiunned 1 round.

Stunning Surge
As a Swift Action on a successful melee attack your opponent must make a Fort Save (DC is 10 plus i/2 your character level plus your Cha modifier) or be stunned 1 round.  Can be use (1 plus Cha modifier) times per day.  Once activated by you it cant be activated by another creature until the following day.

Stygian
May be activated as a Swift Action 3 times per day.  The next succesful attack you make before the end of your turn does 1 negative level that lasts for 10 minutes.

Sundering
Allows you to attack as if you had the Improved Sunder Feat, and does +1d6 damage on a Sunder attack.

Sweeping
+2 Competence Bonus on Strength checks used to make trips with the weapon.

Terran
Overcomes the Damage Reduction (and does +2d6 damage) against creatures with the Air subtype.  Bestows 1 negative level upon any creature with the Air subtype as long as it is held.

Transmuting
If you hit a creature with damage reduction, the next round this weapon takes on the properties required to overcome that creatures DR for 10 rounds or until you hit another creature with DR.  IF the creature ahs multiple types of DR it overcomes all of them.  If the creature gains a new type of DR after being struck the weapon must spend another round to reset. The weapon doesnt gain any of the other benefits of the properties it takes on and always deals normal damage.

Unholy Surge
Prerequisite: Unholy
(1+Cha Bonus) times per day you may command this weapon to activate a as a Swift Action doing +3d6 damage to a Good Target.

Vampiric
+1d6 damage to living creatures, you heal damage equal to the result rolled for the extra die.

Vanishing
Cost to enchant: +8000 GP
Once per day as a Swift Command after a successful melee attack you may activate thsi weapon as  a Swift Action and teleport yourself and your equipemnt up to 60' (limits are as per Dimension Door spell).

Venomous
3 times per day may be activated as a Swift action to coat itself in poison (injury, DC 14 Fort Save, Initial and Secondary damage 1d4 Str).

Warning
+5 Insight Bonus on initiative checks as long as it is held.

Weakening
Whenever you successfully critical the target takes a -4 penalty to Str score for 1 minute, multiple hits arent cumulative, can only lower Str to minimum of 1.

Whirling
Type: Slashing Melee Weapon
3 times per day as a full round action you may activate this weapon and it attacks all opponents within its Reach at your full BAB (otherwise functions as the Whirlwind Attack Feat).
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 12:04:24 AM by bhu »

DavidWL

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2008, 12:38:41 AM »
This is the pattern for weapons, AFAIK:

Base Damage (1H): 1d6
Base Damage (2H): 1d8
Base Crit: 20, x2
Base Throwing range: 0
Base Specials: None

A simple weapon gets one upgrade on this: clubs have a range of 10', morningstars have a 1d8 damage die.
A martial weapon gets two upgrades: Greatswords have 2d6 damage and 19-20 crit.
An exotic weapon gets three upgrades: A bastard sword has 1d10 damage (2 bumps) and 19-20 crit

Case studies:

Spiked chains and Spinning swords are similar: base damage for their handedness (although spiked chains are 2d4 instead of 1d8, they're effectively the same, as are greataxes and greatswords), Upgrades are: (reach) (disarm-trip) (crit profile)

There are some weapons that break this rule. Greatclubs are martial weapons, they should be simple, as they only have 1 upgrade over the base weapon (damage die 1d8->1d10). Spears and longspears have x3 crit and either 20' throwing range or reach, 2 upgrades over the base weapon.

For the most part, though, things follow this pattern. Even the (say) Goliath Greatclub, 3d6 19-20 x3 exotic, follows it, since it's large. So, an exotic weapon with Damage-Die, Crit, Crit upgrades.

Now, the question remains: are these upgrades worthwhile? Spiked chains and Spinning swords get the reach-anything upgrade, while glaives get the normal-reach upgrade. They're clearly not comparable. Everyone'd use glaives if they had reach-anything. Would you trade a damage-die increase for a weapon special?

Armor is even weirder. For most armor, AC+MAX_DEX = 8. For some, it's 7, and those armors aren't balanced by better ASF or ACP (actually, they're worse than the 8 armors). And for two, it's 9: Padded Armor and Full Plate.

Crunch-wise, there's very little reason to NOT wear full plate if you're going to be wearing heavy or medium armor.

That's an excellent post.  I think what it boils down to is that a special (reach, disarm-trip) is not equal to a special (damage bump).

best,
David
Some Cool Quotes:  [spoiler]
Quote from: unknown
Non-PC activities like out of combat healing should be left to wands and NPCs. It's not fun to play a walking wand of CLW. Likewise, being a combat wall is not a viable PC role. A Wall of Force could do that.

-Sort of, but you left out the important note that a Wall of Force does it better.

Quote from: Runestar / skydragonknight
The most powerful character is the one that you actually get to play.

Quote from: Operation Shoestring
I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/spoiler]
DavidWL's Random Build Archive

AlterFrom

• Donkey Kong
  • Super Special Awesome
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2008, 06:18:32 PM »
Libris Mortis

Ectoplasmic Feedback
Cost to enchant: +8000
Type: Armor
1d6 backlash when hit with incoporeal touch attack.

Ghostward
Add enhancement bonus (not base bonus) to AC vs incoporeal touch attacks.

Ectoplasmic Feedback
Cost to enchant: +8000
1d6 backlash when hit with incoporeal touch attack.

Exoskeleton
Cost: +49500
+2 Breastplate; DR 5/bludgeoning

Ghoul Shell
Cost: +35230
+3 leather armor; Ghoul Touch (DC15) 3/day

Ghost Shroud
Cost: +35000
+4 deflection; all attacks made as if Ghost Touch effect

Shadow Veil
Cost: +10000
+2 deflection; concealment against creatures without darkvision, blindsight, or other non-light-based sensory apparatus

Vampire Hide
Cost: +63325
+3 studded leather; DR 5/silver and magic

Wight Shield
Cost: +16309
Type: Shield
+1 light steel; can use to bash; DC 14 fortitude or gain a negative level when hit shield bash of wight shield

Wrapped Tower
Cost: +6330
Type: Shield
+2 Tower Shield; 1/day use for full cover and force those in front of it to make a DC 16 will or be paralyzed by fear for 1d4 rounds

Zombie Hide
Cost: +46315
+1 hide; DR 5/slashing

Ghost Strike
Make attacks as if ghost touch; deliver sneak attack and critical hits to incorporeal undead

Profane
Living creatures take 1 CON damage per round when wielding when active; +1d6 vs living, +2d6 vs Good Outsiders (no stack); evil-aligned when active

Profane Burst
On crit: 1d4 CON damage to living wielder, +Xd10 where X is critical muliplier minus 1, double the number of d10s against Good Outsiders. Critical bonus damage functions even when Profane abilities are not active.

Sacred
Undead take 1 CHA damage per round when wielding when active; +1d6 vs undead, +2d6 vs Evil Outsiders (no stack); good-aligned when active

Sacred Burst
On crit: 1d4 CHA damage to undead wielder, +Xd10 where X is critical muliplier minus 1, double the number of d10s against Evil Outsiders. Critical bonus damage functions even when Sacred abilities are not active.

Necrotic Focus
Type: Weapon (melee only)
Allows wielder to channel ability- or energy-drain based supernatural ability as if attacking with natural weapons; add enhancement bonus of weapon to DC if saving throw is allowed
Siggy
[spoiler]TIRED OF TRYING TO MANAGE FILES ACROSS SEVERAL COMPUTERS? GET DROPBOX AND SIMPLIFY THE PROCESS!

xkcd. It Rocks.

Tick, tock, Tick, tock...

FYI: I lose a couple years off my life anytime I see I have a PM.

We're ALL rules lawyers here. The BEST at what we do, too. It's like a Tom Grisham novel in which everybody at the top law firm is a dirty crook, but they all know the rules so well that TECHNICALLY speaking, they aren't breaking them...:eh

[/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2008, 06:02:58 PM »
If we change the Will save on the Wrapped Tower Shield to 10+Cha (or Con)+1/2CL, it would bring it up to power. Ectoplasmic Feedback got hosed in the MiC to be a +1 bonus, so the version you posted is much better (though I'd lower the price to about 4500gp, to make it more lucrative). The MiC version of the Exoskeleton Armor is cheaper, but is a +1 instead of +2, but the Shirt of magic items are all very close in price to the updated version of the Armor. Leaving its price as per the MiC version but upgrading it to the +2 Breastplate would be a solid fix.

The Ghoul Shell Armor also got reduced to a +1, and the save is a DC 15 Fort save. At 13th level, virtually anything with a Con score will be able to make that save, and as is it is nigh unto useless at the mid-to-high levels. Changing the save to Will upgrades it, but that price for a +1 suit of armor is bull shit IMO. Changing it to a +2 would be an upgrade to consider. Making the save 10+1/2 CL+(ability score modifier) would make it worthwhile at that price.

Again, the MiC strikes out, this time at the Vampire Hide Armor. It changes the DR to Silver or Magic, and lowers it to +1 Studded Leather. The version you posted is far superior, if triple the price of the MiC version. Lowering it to 42,450 wouldn't be that bad, and it would allow the +3 bonus. The Wight Shield you posted from the LM is far superior to the MiC version, so I'd leave the LM version as is.

[spoiler][/spoiler]