Author Topic: Greatest. Creature. Ever. (Lesser Pun-Pun)  (Read 5122 times)

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
Greatest. Creature. Ever. (Lesser Pun-Pun)
« on: February 10, 2011, 12:47:31 AM »
Meet the Mindstealer Drone

Notice its lovely, lovely Su abilities.

Now, how can we get one of these little guys as a pet? I would assume using a Persistent Shapechange to turn into the Mindstealer Master and create one of the little buggers, but is that the only way?
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
Re: Greatest. Creature. Ever. (Lesser Pun-Pun)
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 12:54:40 AM »
... I would probably be an elan with 2 flaws, 5 levels of Spell to Power Erudite, grab Alter Self, take 4 copies of Metamorphic Transfer (via retraining?), and then try to figure out if I have enough power points to stay in that form all day and be one as a pet.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 01:11:17 AM »
i was thinking of that; only problem is that the abilities take a looooooooong time to use (though you could use them piecemeal), and you would probably lose all your stolen abilities on reverting to your original form...

Unless the "A mindstealer drone retains an absorbed creature's abilities for a maximum of one month." line means that you would retain the abilities each time you turned into the Drone...

But do this to, let's say, a Dragon you Mind Raped into having no memories. Laugh really hard.

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 03:05:00 AM »
Holy sh|t amechra. Nice find. You can quickstep with this baby, too. Its feat intensive, but doable early and stronger than PAO in many ways.
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 03:28:13 AM »
You seemingly mean Assume Supernatural Ability from Savage Species.  This feat lets you use Sus with alter self.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 03:41:41 AM »
That's another option, but he was referring to metamorphic transfer, from Expanced Psionics Handbook. 

It seems like something involving aberration wild shape (Lords of Madness) could work. 

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 03:45:21 AM »
I've checked that, and you lose Su abilities, unfortunately.

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 03:52:17 AM »
Alright, people, is there a way I can adjust the size for Dragon Wild Shape up to LArge, maybe through Proportionate Wild Shape? I'm only asking so I could turn into this guy.

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

JohnnyMayHymn

• Bi-Curious George
  • Lord of the Kitchen Sink
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 08:41:05 AM »
Alright, people, is there a way I can adjust the size for Dragon Wild Shape up to LArge, maybe through Proportionate Wild Shape? I'm only asking so I could turn into this guy.
Master of Many Forms10,   (debatable) early entry w/divine minion
My (sometimes offensive) Web Comic Faux Blast
Can you find the Wumpus? (Hint: start with the spoiler....)
[spoiler] :beathorse [/spoiler]
...........  :joystick

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 11:09:10 AM »
Cerembramancer. Shapechange into the Master and make drones. Have drones start absorbing abilities and then...Fusion. :D
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 03:04:29 PM »

That thing is cool! I want to play one too  :mad

Or perhaps just make some Draconic soulmelds that steal its abilities?

Start with progressive initiative, the basic soulmeld gives +2 to init, then another +2 for every point of invested essentia... nah that's not a good start and it's homebrew anyway.
I don't employ memes. Mass-produced ammunition, even from reputable manufacturers, tends to malfunction on occasion.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 05:15:24 PM »
I've checked that, and you lose Su abilities, unfortunately.

How so? 

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 06:10:57 PM »
The feat doesn't grant you the Su abilities of the Aberration, and neither does normal Wild Shaping, iirc.

I'm AFB at the moment, so can someone check that?

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 06:14:25 PM »
Holy F- :fu Balls ... that's just ridiculous ; and awesome.

So yeah, the usual suspects for early PAO or AlterSelf+MT or etc ...

Those abilities are semi-off-the-charts, as is.
Quote from: wotc F-balls

A drone has no combat skills itself in its base form. But you do.

Absorb Abilities (Su): As a full-round action, a mindstealer droneyou can absorb the abilities of a creature it has drained of all memories.

Add the absorbed creature's Hit Dice, hit points, base attack bonus, base save bonus, skills, and feats to those of the mindstealer droneyou.

The mindstealer droneyou uses its own speed and its own ability scores or those of the absorbed creature, whichever are higher.

If the mindstealer droneyou and the absorbed creature have the same skill, add the absorbed creature's skill ranks and racial skill bonuses to those of the mindstealer.

If the mindstealer droneyou uses the absorbed creature's form through its change shape ability, it gains additional abilities, as noted in the change shape section.

A mindstealer droneyou retains an absorbed creature's abilities for a maximum of one month.

When a mindstealer droneyou absorbs the abilities of multiple creatures, it adds either the abilities of the last creature it has absorbed or from the last form it has used, whichever is applicable.

Energy Drain (Su): As a full-round action, the mindstealer droneyou inflicts one negative level on a target within 30 feet as a ranged touch attack. It gains 5 temporary hit points each time it inflicts a negative level. A target reduced to 0 effective levels is not slain, but rendered catatonic. Dronesyou kill these victims after they have drained all memories. They can use the energy drain ability once per round. The Fortitude save DC for recovering the negative level is 16. The save is Constitution-based.

Memory Drain (Su): A mindstealer droneyou is a psychic vampire that steals the memories of its victims' experiences. As a standard action, it can steal a day's worth of memories from any creature that has a negative level from it energy drain power.

If the mindstealer droneyou uses this power on a creature it has rendered catatonic through its energy drain power, it drains a year's worth of memories every minute. A victim drained of all memories dies.

Once the mindstealer droneyou has drained all a creature's memories, it can absorb its abilities and assume its form.

Change Shape (Su): A mindstealer droneyou can assume the form of any creature from which it has absorbed abilities (so long at it retains those abilities).

When using an absorbed creature's form, a mindstealer droneyou gains all the features and traits of the absorbed creature's type and also gains all the absorbed creature's speed, natural weapons, natural armor, special attacks, and special qualities.

Ityou continues to use the absorbed creature's Hit Dice, hit points, base attack bonus, base save bonus, skills, and feats, as noted in the Absorb Abilities section.

In effect, the droneyou functions as the victim except that it retains its own special attacks and special qualities.
:twitch ... RED just for tags.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 06:16:41 PM »
Elans are Aberrations, so they can use the basics, to be one.

Elans into Beholders (and Mage) ... is Dirty Trick #1.
This is better.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2011, 08:13:54 PM »
The feat doesn't grant you the Su abilities of the Aberration, and neither does normal Wild Shaping, iirc.

You don't gain supernatural abilities, sure, but you don't lose supernatural abilities.  There are two feats that can give you the supernatural abilities of something you wild shape into. 

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2011, 08:31:31 PM »
Ah, true. I meant you lose OUT on the supernatural abilities. Sorry.

Now, if only Exalted Wild Shape didn't only apply to templating animals...

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2011, 05:24:16 PM »
Sooo ... using the lables , within the box ...

"change shape" requires "absorb abilities"

"absorb abilities" requires "memory drain" + Full (this is a not-so-minor problem)

"memory drain" requires at least one successful use of "energy drain"

"energy drain" can eventually cause the condition "catatonic"
"memory drain" goes faster if "catatonic" (not very important)

The not-so-minor problem is: How long did creature X live or have memories?
Technically, this is DM Fiat. But obviously there is a limit, for most creatures.
Also, the Drone + Cat + Medusa example, indicates a one absorbed form at a time, limit.

Still ...  :o

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2011, 06:16:26 PM »
Still, even with only the nice abilities from one creature, you would be strong;

Spellweaver, anyone? How about a Gated Solar.

I just thought of something that makes this even better!

Master Transmogrofist's capstone allows you to combine two creatures into one form. Add these Su abilities, and WIN!

Or Shapechange into a Mindstealer Master, make yourself a Drone, and Gate in and contain a Mindstealer Master. Have your Drone steal its powers.

Have your Drone produce 22 Drones, then have one of those Drones steal its stuff before that month is up. Repeat this process a lot, and you have an army that gets stronger every time it wins a battle; now all we need is a way to bypass immunity to Energy Drain, so that we can rob the Tarrasque and a bunch of the schmexier undead.

And then, yes, we manifest Fusion, after using Temporal Reiteration cheese to keep it perpetual.

This is actually a great way to get rid of enemies, and turn them into allies...

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

BrokeAndDrive

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Why are there no ghosts of dinosaurs?
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2011, 06:19:15 PM »
A drone has no combat skills itself in its base form. But you do.
Epic. :bow
Random quotes:[spoiler]I think Roy's coinages are shitty and dumb, but Failroy has to take the cake for the dumbest new compound word of the year
~

That was kind of the point. I was trying to be a Roy parody, but I guess it didn't come across overly well.

==

JaronK is of course most famous for his massive thought experiments into placing classes into tiers. While a kind of nifty idea, and a decent enough way to think about stuff, his particular tier assignments were basically insane. Apparently the criteria he used was to assign classes relative strength based on what bullshit he personally would let them get away with at 20th level.

So Factotums were rated very highly, because apparently he would let them use Rokugan-exclusive skills with Forgotten Realms-exclusive weapons from the back of MM2 templated warbeasts. But Rogues suck donkey dick, becuase he wouldn't let them use Use Magic Device to read scrolls of Planar Binding. It was a very surreal argument.
~

And to think the system was immortalized in OOTS. As a general rule, I try to avoid all tier discussion there because it's the De Facto system at BG, and I'm not going to change anyone's mind.

Besides, I think if most people are pressed, they will admit that it's just an estimate, anyway, and that results can vary from table to table.
~

My only real complaint with the tier system is that at one point I was tired (tiered?) of hearing about it.[/spoiler]