Author Topic: Something nice for Truenamers  (Read 1532 times)

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
Something nice for Truenamers
« on: February 10, 2011, 12:09:42 AM »
TRUEWRITER'S TOME
Price: 10,000 gp
Body Slot: N/A
Caster Level: 6
Aura: Moderate Universal
Activation: Standard Action
Weight: 5 lbs
A weatherbeaten tome sits on the floor in front of you. On the front, in an elaborate scrawl, are a grouping of illegible phrases that seem to speak themselves into existence.

This item is a Truenamer's best friend; once it has been in their possession for a day, they gain the ability to write Utterances into the book. When they do so, they must roll a Truenaming check against the DC that they would use for that utterance normally, and have to fill up a number of pages equal to the effective spell level of the utterance (Lexicon of the Crafted Tool and Perfected Map are treated as 1 and 4 levels higher, respectively), but gain the following benefits:
-That Utterance doesn't count towards the Laws of Sequence or Resistance
-That Utterance has its duration extended to minutes instead of rounds. For example, a Speed of the Zephyr Utterance, once scribed, would have a duration of 5 minutes.
-That Utterance can have any Meta-Utterance feat applied to it by increasing the number of pages used instead of increasing the DC; the Utterance must fill 1 page for every +4 taken off, rounded up. If the Truenamer using this item has Speak unto the Masses, he may instead increase the pages necessary to write the Utterance by 3 to use it with Speak unto the Masses

In addition, you gain an untyped +5 bonus to Truenaming checks.

There are 100 pages to begin with in the book.
prerequisites:Truespeak 10 ranks, Craft Wondrous Item
cost to create: 5000 gp, 400 xp, 10 days

We all know why I made this item, don't we.

Example of use: Bob the Truenamer wants to heal a friend, but he doesn't want to pay the penalty. They are both 6th level, and he has the Lesser Word of Nurturing Utterance and the Extend Utterance feat. He just whips out his Tome, makes a DC 27 Truenaming check, and writes in 4 pages of the book. The ally now has Fast Healing 3 for the next 10 minutes, which is plenty of time. And, he can do this for all of his friends, since the Law of Sequence does not apply. Or, if you are all 17th level, you could give everyone Fast Healing 20 for 10 minutes for the cost of a DC 49 check and 11 pages, or for only half that time for only 9 pages.
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Garryl

• Hong Kong
Re: Something nice for Truenamers
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 12:42:27 AM »
What happens when the utterance runs out? Do you have to write it again in the blank pages? Can you reuse the pages that you've already written into? Can you take an elapsed utterance's text and erase it to make room for a different utterance? What happens when you run out of pages in the book? Does the +5 bonus to Truenaming checks apply to every such check that the possessor makes or just those to write in the book? Am I asking too many questions? Does this paragraph make me look fat? Are we there yet?
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 12:48:18 AM »
I'll have to think about all of those.

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Volfogg

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 11:31:17 PM »
Interesting item Amechra! We all know that Truenamers need more love! The only thing that I am unsure about is the standard action to activate the item. What would stop him from whipping the book out and using it to "cast" an offensive utterance at every enemy during an encounter? This to me seems a bit to advantageous. Unless of course there is an allotment of time required for the scribing of the utterance (in addition to the standard action for activating the item). If so then please disregard what I have said.

Cheers
Volf
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 11:33:15 PM by Volfogg »

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 11:33:04 PM »
My plan is that the pages aren't reusable. You have to get a new book if you use up the pages.

But seriously, the Truenamer has some interesting abilities, but none that are too powerful.

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

Nytemare3701

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 04:52:30 AM »
It would be interesting to have a smaller book that has permanent pages. That way you can specialize in certain utterances.