Author Topic: Ready against the Charge, Steadfast boots and you.  (Read 4572 times)

ZeroKnight

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Ready against the Charge, Steadfast boots and you.
« on: February 09, 2011, 02:44:19 PM »
If you have the Steadfast boots (you are always set against the charge if you have a 2 handed weapon) do you always get to attack everyone who charges you regardless of if they provoke an AoO or if you already used up all your AoOs for the turn?

Im going to be in a low level siege type campaign, and I want to see if I can take out half an army with just the boots and a Reach weapon. 

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
Re: Ready against the Charge, Steadfast boots and you.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 03:20:45 PM »
The attack from the Steadfast Boots is not an AoO, just like the attack you ready when setting your weapon against a charge is not an AoO. Taking an action you readied isn't even an Immediate action, as far as I know, so yes, you can use your boots as often as you want, assuming your enemies don't figure out that charging you is a Bad Idea.
In fact, when wielding a reach weapon, you can take the attack provided by your Steadfast Boots when they enter your threatened square, then take your AoO when they try to keep charging and leave that square, if the double damage attack didn't take them out already.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 03:52:54 PM by Agita »
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 03:43:49 PM »
I agree with Agita, and I wish to add a few notes. 

Using this ability causes your initiative to change, since it functions as taking a readied action.  If people keep charging you, it's possible you may never actually get a turn.  You could choose not to make the attack, but unless you really need to move, the double damage attack (assuming the right weapon) is a good option. 

Note that the item provides no benefit against someone who moves up to you and attacks without using the charge action.  I don't think very many enemies will have to die from trying to charge you before the rest decide to approach cautiously.  They don't even have to understand how the item works.  They know that charging makes them easier to hit (-2 AC) and readied actions against charges are common military tactics in D&D, even if they don't understand why you're so good at it. 

If you're fighting a large organized group, they might have the back lines pelt you with arrows while the font lines ready actions to attack anyone who comes within range, then let you be the one who closes the distance and takes the readied attack. 

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 12:04:44 AM »
I agree with Agita, and I wish to add a few notes. 

Using this ability causes your initiative to change, since it functions as taking a readied action.  If people keep charging you, it's possible you may never actually get a turn.  You could choose not to make the attack, but unless you really need to move, the double damage attack (assuming the right weapon) is a good option.  
Readied actions don't change your initiative.  You're thinking of Delaying.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Ras F

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Life gives you lemons? Then you better fucking learn Citromancy.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 12:09:08 AM »
Huh, seems I was wrong, then.  Carry on.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.