Author Topic: The Strong Arm Alchemist: Min/Maxing Alex Louis Armstrong  (Read 13469 times)

Rasengan2theface

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Re: The Strong Arm Alchemist: Min/Maxing Alex Louis Armstrong
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2011, 06:37:43 AM »
:pout Shouldn't you max out Perform(Jazz)
... you know ... just because of the Louis Armstrong part ?!
Totally different genre there.  This isn't old-school Jazz music, this is Anime.

As for not wanting to be an overpowered caster-type: that's exactly what Alchemists are in that anime.  They're the casters.

For Reference. (He's the bald guy with the tiny bit of blond hair)

Thats not exactly the video i would have chosen. The fight vs sloth or vs scar would be better for combat mechanics.

No no...that's EXACTLY the video I would have chosen :D

but skydragonknight's vid REALLY is the best for his combat ability...BY FAR...

I felt inspired to finally upload an Avatar...thought it was fitting...
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 06:42:04 AM by Rasengan2theface »

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2011, 04:48:30 PM »
{ ... insert allow me to be a Jazz snob smiley face ... }

C'mon   :bigeye  can't magic/alchemy do Trumpet Archons too ??
Maybe a little Otto's Irresistible Dance, while we're at it.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2011, 04:49:56 PM »
We'll keep that in mind when we roll up Cowboy Bebop characters.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2011, 05:00:07 PM »
 :lmao ... right

Rasengan2theface

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2011, 09:14:15 PM »
since I'm trying the Psionic Build, is it a bit too much to tack on the Advanced Template to him for a +1 LA?

It basically increases natural armor by +2 and +4 to all ability scores for a one level trade off.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2011, 09:36:50 PM »
since I'm trying the Psionic Build, is it a bit too much to tack on the Advanced Template to him for a +1 LA?

It basically increases natural armor by +2 and +4 to all ability scores for a one level trade off.
What template?  I don't know of a template like this.

If you want a template, consider Phrenic.  Phrenic is pretty badass.

Rasengan2theface

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2011, 09:55:20 PM »

What template?  I don't know of a template like this.

If you want a template, consider Phrenic.  Phrenic is pretty badass.

The advanced template is a Pathfinder Template.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/advanced-creature

As of right now though, I'm building him as though he were a human, which gives him 21 feats with a two level dip in Monk and that's not including Improved Unarmed Strike and either Stunning Fist, Elemental Fist, Touch of Serenity, or Punishing Kick, depending on which Alt Class or Archetype I choose.

Feat choice is also MUCH easier since a PF Psychic Warrior has Psionic Proficiency, which allows them to use their Psychic Warrior level in place of their PW BAB to determine what psionic feats they qualify for. i.e. a Monk2/Psychic Warrior 5 would have an effective BAB of +6 for psionic feat selection, instead of +4.

I went to compare the two different PWs based on what is on the 3.5 SRD and what's in Psionics Unleashed, the PW got some MAJOR boosts it seems.

The "Required" Feats I've figured out thus far: (I say "Required" loosely, but they seem to fit well.)
Monastic Training (Human Most Likely)
Tashalatora (Take-able at Level 2 with Pathfinder Skill Changes)
Improved Grapple (Easy Monk Feat)
Greater Grapple
Scorpion's Grasp
Superior Unarmed Strike
Psionic Fist (Maybe)
Greater Psionic Fist (Maybe)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 10:44:59 PM by Rasengan2theface »

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2011, 10:35:42 PM »
Sadly the best one I could find is with spanish subs, but it really shows off his fighting skill.
That was... fucking awesome! I'm interested in... Sloth's(?) powers. Super strength and regenration?

Rasengan2theface

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2011, 10:44:03 PM »
Sadly the best one I could find is with spanish subs, but it really shows off his fighting skill.
That was... fucking awesome! I'm interested in... Sloth's(?) powers. Super strength and regenration?

Sloth's Powers are ironic, but almost all of the Homunculi can regenerate, that's why they're so hard to kill. He's got Super Strength, but his BIG trick is his speed. He's SO fast that he can't control it. It's like mixing The Hulk with The Flash.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2011, 11:29:47 PM »

Sloth's Powers are ironic, but almost all of the Homunculi can regenerate, that's why they're so hard to kill. He's got Super Strength, but his BIG trick is his speed. He's SO fast that he can't control it. It's like mixing The Hulk with The Flash.
Which one is Sloth again?  I figured that was the Homunculus the brothers created, but I've also heard... (SPOILER ALERT!) [spoiler]King Bradley referred to as both Pride in FMA and Wrath in Brotherhood, so I could be wrong.[/spoiler]

In any case, the Advanced template is a +1 CR template not meant for PCs to take, most likely because it's just not balanced for PC use.  If your DM lets you take it then whatever, go for it.  I think something like Dark, Phrenic, Half-Fey, Shadow, etc. would serve you better.

Rasengan2theface

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2011, 11:38:55 PM »
Sloth is different in Brotherhood than the original.

[spoiler]Yeah, the thing that a lot of people don't know about the ORIGINAL FMA is that it ended early. Basically the animation team was getting close to catching up with the Manga, but they didn't want to take the Naruto Path and have a season full of Filler episodes, so they ended the series with their own, original story. That's why Bradley's name is different, because in Brotherhood, that's which homunculi he actually is, they were pretty much guessing since it hadn't actually been revealed which one he was. They just happened to guess wrong.[/spoiler]

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2011, 11:41:16 PM »
That was... fucking awesome!

If you're interested, the entire series is available on Hulu, though only the first 26 episodes are available dubbed (if that's how you like to watch things).  

Rasengan2theface

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2011, 11:55:08 PM »
http://www.dndsheets.net/view.php?id=13316

I'll be working on his sheet here. I like the DnDSheet format since the ONLY thing I have to figure out is what his CMD is.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2011, 09:32:19 AM »
Linked Power (Complete Psionics) is a good one for efficient buffing in combat. One of the few good things in the book and one of the few things psionics can do that magic can't.

Also: Improved Natural Attack: Unarmed Strike is a good one, as well as Snap Kick (tome of battle) which gives you an extra unarmed attack whenever you make a melee attack (as a standard action or full attack...possibly charges as well, given the wording).
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 10:08:28 AM by skydragonknight »
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Rasengan2theface

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2011, 05:06:26 PM »
Linked Power (Complete Psionics) is a good one for efficient buffing in combat. One of the few good things in the book and one of the few things psionics can do that magic can't.

Also: Improved Natural Attack: Unarmed Strike is a good one, as well as Snap Kick (tome of battle) which gives you an extra unarmed attack whenever you make a melee attack (as a standard action or full attack...possibly charges as well, given the wording).

Unfortunately the way my DM rules it is that you either get Imp Natural or Superior Unarmed Strike, not both. Besides, with access to Monk's Belt AND Monk's Robes, I get massive levels of monk for relatively cheap, especially if I can afford Monk's Tattoo as well.

I read about Linked Power, but maybe I don't really follow WHY it's so good. It delays a power's activation, is it like chaining powers, like I manifest Expansion and Link Power Iron Grip, so I'm big and then next turn, I get the Bonus to grapple for free basically?

I can't remember, is Snap Kick at full BAB?

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2011, 05:09:02 PM »
I read about Linked Power, but maybe I don't really follow WHY it's so good. It delays a power's activation, is it like chaining powers, like I manifest Expansion and Link Power Iron Grip, so I'm big and then next turn, I get the Bonus to grapple for free basically?

Well... not for free, since you paid for it the last round, but that's how it is...

Yep.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2011, 05:24:30 PM »
Yes.  Linked Power improves your action economy.

Rasengan2theface

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2011, 06:14:33 PM »

Well... not for free, since you paid for it the last round, but that's how it is...

Yep.

Well, free for that round is what I meant. BTW, your Psionic Naruto Builds link...I...I just want to play them all!

Are they all based on the pre-time jump or post-time jump characters?

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2011, 06:21:47 PM »
Well, free for that round is what I meant. BTW, your Psionic Naruto Builds link...I...I just want to play them all!

Are they all based on the pre-time jump or post-time jump characters?

Well... As already said in the thread, those are from Disposable_Hero's thread at WotC. Prime32 came up with the idea to port the stuff here, and I ported said stuff here. 99% of them are pre-time skip...

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2011, 06:25:15 PM »
99% of them are pre-time skip...
Or at least a few years out of date.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]