Author Topic: Why is the feat Stormguard Warrior so appealing?  (Read 10645 times)

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Why is the feat Stormguard Warrior so appealing?
« on: February 09, 2011, 03:30:14 AM »
Tome of Battle 36 has this oft-referenced tactical feat.  I've read it repeatedly, but found no great reason to take it.

Enlighten me!
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
Re: Why is the feat Stormguard Warrior so appealing?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 03:42:53 AM »
It's the best way for TWFers to do damage: 1 round of touch attacks, then 1 round of real attacks.  Works best if you have an ability that denies your opponent their next turn (and, really, I'd absolutely use a heavy mace in my TWF routine if it meant smacking people with Three Mountains while I build up damage bonuses with my touch attacks).

ZeroSpace

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 03:43:20 AM »
As I understand it, it's for one or two of the options that the feat lets you use. The first being Channel the Storm, which gives you a cummulative +4 to attack and damage rolls on your coming turn for every AoO you don't make until then. The other being Combat Rythym, which give a cummulative +5 damage next turn for every no-damage touch attack you land this turn. Of the two, Channel the Storm is the one that sees heavy use on fighter-esque builds, specifcally with Robillar's Gambit and/or Karmic Strike.

Edit: And Swordsage'd.
YAY! I get to go to the SPECIAL hell!

"The picks aren't breaking through, sir!"
"Alright men, time to break out the greatswords!"

"You may not make money being a bad-ass!"
-My DM

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 04:03:52 AM »
Channel the Storm the storm is great. Notice that it doesn't count AoOs not taken as used. Therefore, stick this feat on anything with long reach, never take your one AoO, and reap the benefits.

I've made a build with base size Huge that has Expansion as well. All attacks are auto-Bull Rushes and it has that Crusader aura to make ALL movement provoke. Smack someone once, they go flying, racking up tons and tons of AoOs you didn't take.

Combat Rhythm is a trap 90% of the time and just seems good.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 04:09:19 AM »
Combat Rhythm isn't the trap, TWF is the trap.  Combat Rhythm makes the trap less crappy.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 09:20:45 AM »
I don't have the feat handy, but I'm assuming it makes TWF better because you get double the touch attacks to set it up for double the benefit, and that increased benefit is applied to double your attacks next turn?

I guess it's okay once your average expected bonus exceeds your average expected damage per attack, and if you think that you won't be dropping your opponent on the first round of a full attack.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 09:30:20 AM »
Combat Rhythm isn't the trap, TWF is the trap.  Combat Rhythm makes the trap less crappy.

Combine with Avalanche of Blades for slightly increased chances of not sucking.
I don't employ memes. Mass-produced ammunition, even from reputable manufacturers, tends to malfunction on occasion.

Shadeseraph

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 12:57:47 PM »
I don't have the feat handy, but I'm assuming it makes TWF better because you get double the touch attacks to set it up for double the benefit, and that increased benefit is applied to double your attacks next turn?

I guess it's okay once your average expected bonus exceeds your average expected damage per attack, and if you think that you won't be dropping your opponent on the first round of a full attack.

Basically. The other main use was for any kind of character. You can use Avalanche of Blades on the first round to load on damage bonifiers, and use Deep Impact + Ruby Nightmare Blade to hit for a lot of damage with some consistency. But it is still a problem because of the loss of a round.

Anyway,I can't remember the exact wording of the feat, but, assuming you can use WRT on yourself, you should be able to both charge and unlease the attack in the same round.

Of course, this assumes that you use WRT on yourself, which is kind of suboptimal. Give the free round to the caster, for fuck sake.
[spoiler]
I hate mouth breathing fuckwits who go around spouting lies, even after being corrected on those lies, and that bait mods into helping to defend their wrongness and fail. I also hate the MBFs that don't understand the meaning of words, and that can't get a fucking clue.
Hey! I like spouting lies. It's very entertaining to observe how people on the internet are buffing their small egos by declaring victories over some stupid MBFs. :smirk
Also - I hate people who use too smart words that I don't understand. :mad

Hi Welcome

Go fuck yourself, because others won't do it for you.

Stop flirting you two.  :p
[/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 01:13:47 PM »
Alternatively, since you're a Warblade and refresh your manuvers by full attacking, spend the later iteritives that probably won't hit anyway to boost your damage for next round.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 07:37:11 PM »
Alternatively, since you're a Warblade and refresh your manuvers by full attacking, spend the later iteritives that probably won't hit anyway to boost your damage for next round.

I thought Warblades refreshed their maneuvers by a swift action followed by a standard action with the condition that neither the swift nor the standard action could be maneuvers.
I don't employ memes. Mass-produced ammunition, even from reputable manufacturers, tends to malfunction on occasion.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 07:38:49 PM »

I thought Warblades refreshed their maneuvers by a swift action followed by a standard action with the condition that neither the swift nor the standard action could be maneuvers.
Or they can spend their Swift action and full attack.  It's something a Warblade will probably end up doing anyway and, since normally those last couple of attacks would go to waste, you can instead pump up your attacks for next round.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 07:46:46 PM »
Warblade refresh just requires a swift action, followed by either making one or more attacks, or by spending a standard action to do nothing. It doesn't matter how you make an attack if you choose that option. You can make a single, standard action attack. You can make a full-attack. You can charge. You can convince someone to provoke an attack of opportunity from you on your turn. You can get a friendly druid to ready an action to cast Snake's Swiftness on you. Anything works, as long as you attack.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 09:39:21 PM »
Stormguard Warrior is a second line of abuse not your primary.

Unless you have boosted your attack chance way up there it's self to assume you're last attack will miss. At any point you full attack, such as pounce, time stands still, recovery, you can augment next turn's damage by 5 per attack. And on that turn it's generally the best time to expend Raging Mongoose or some such. Admitably, this is probably the turn off you keep reading. However, expending a turn to charge this virtually guarantees death next round and is very very powerful when used in conjunction with something like Vampiric Touch.

Channel The Storm is mop up. Combined with Roiler's Gambit oppoents provoke an AoO each time they attack you. A very nice little detail to pay attention to is the 1 AoO per round limit applies to attacking and does not the limit of AoOs people can provoke from you nor the number you can choose to forgo. Depending on the monster this can range from four or more attacks, or a staggering +16 bonus to both attack and damage next turn and all it cost you was two feat slots. OPs suggest Knowledge Devotion which requires skill boosting and is lucky to give even a mere +5 bonus, this thing is flat out insane by all comparisons.

Mindful, it only augments your options. Don't ever build focused on using it.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Reyemile

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 11:21:19 PM »
Note that your touch attacks with StormGuard Warrior can still crit if you're going the Blood in the Water route. My Warblade's Kukri's were enchanted with Slowing Burst out of the MIC, since it was a flat-cost enhancement and not a plus. I'd crit 3 times on average on a full attack, and eventually the target would roll a one; a slowed enemy would have a hard time ducking the follow-up massacre.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 11:50:33 PM »
Mostly, because people forget 2 rounds is a long time in D&D.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2011, 12:11:34 AM »
Channel the Storm is a very good ability, although you have to remember that the bonus you care about is the +4 bonus to hit.  Once you get pushed off the RNG, you probably want to start taking your AoOs, especially given that you're probably an initiator, aren't getting heavy returns off Power Attack, and may or may not be using your iteratives at all.

Also, I never considered the option of using this on a touch mage or a Duskblade to get a ridiculously high-damage Vampiric Touch or similarly nasty touch spell.  That's interesting.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2011, 03:02:24 AM »
Also, I never considered the option of using this on a touch mage or a Duskblade to get a ridiculously high-damage Vampiric Touch or similarly nasty touch spell.  That's interesting.
...or a JPM? :D

And yeah, forgot to mention why it's not your primary method of attack. Your goal is to kill something in one round (or less, an attack action!). If that cannot be obtained Rhythm can pull it off. I like the Channel part better since you can generate the bonuses when it's not your turn.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]