Author Topic: Ghost guide  (Read 46824 times)

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
Re: Ghost guide
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2011, 02:38:25 AM »
pardon the ignorance/laziness revealing question, but i can't recall why that affects anything?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 03:06:17 AM by nijineko »
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2011, 02:41:43 AM »
LA: -- means the creature/template/whatever isn't suitable for use by a PC. Some of these are marked with (cohort) or (improved familiar) or something like that--you can get one that way, but not play one.

nijineko

• King Kong
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2011, 03:05:41 AM »
ah. thank you. =)
Never game alone again!

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2011, 05:26:40 PM »
Perhaps you should have a section with good races for a ghost, since a ghost doesn't need Con and Strength, the race choice changes a lot and a grey elf is actually a decent choice for a ghost wizard.

May I for one suggest Star Elf from RoF as beign excellent for a ghost. It grants Ghost Touch to all the weapons you use, which is pretty darned awesome at low levels.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 10:40:04 AM by Mixster »
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2011, 02:05:14 AM »
Guess which little +0 LA lizardy race makes the best ghost? ;)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 02:10:47 AM by Ithamar »
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2011, 06:53:50 PM »
Guess which little +0 LA lizardy race makes the best ghost? ;)
Well, duh.  Dragon type.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2011, 06:34:47 PM »
Is this thread dead yet ...  :drums

nijineko

• King Kong
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2011, 02:20:08 AM »
i think it is still haunting the forums....
Never game alone again!

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2011, 11:08:38 AM »
Question:

[...] While ghosts don't (easily) get access to the gamebreaking combination of chain spell and full attack telekinesis [...]

Does this implies that there's a way to apply Chain Spell to the at-will Telekinesis of Ghosts..? If so, how do you do that? I'm not sure this is possible as far as I can tell, unless I missed something.

EDIT: On a sidenote, I searched a bit around the board for builds that uses the ghost template/savage progression but I can't seem to find one that exploits Telekinesis that much, aside from the usual levels of MotUH. Is there something else to add to that, or some other thing that synergies well with a build resolving around Telekinesis Ghost? It looks too much like a one-trick poney to me, even though it looks quite good for an average game. o:
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 02:16:00 PM by Shiki »
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

nijineko

• King Kong
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2011, 02:20:53 PM »
i think perhaps the ghost must have another means of telekinesis to pull it off.
Never game alone again!

BrainCandy

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2011, 12:35:28 PM »
If you are a ghost with human heritage and you are destroyed through HP loss, will raise dead and resurrect work as normal on you since you aren't undead? Wouldn't you get rezzed exactly as you were save for whatever the negative effects of the raise spell are?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 06:43:09 PM by BrainCandy »

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2011, 09:53:02 PM »
If you are a ghost with human heritage and you are destroyed through HP loss, will raise dead and resurrect work as normal on you since you aren't undead? Wouldn't you get rezzed exactly as you were save for whatever the negative effects of the raise spell are?
The spells can definietely target you. You ought to be resotrable without losing ghost levels, but I could see a DM ruling the other way if you got too irritating
Planetouched Handbook

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2011, 09:18:10 AM »
I agree with TML's perspective. The Ghost levels are not levels similar to for example Fighter levels. Another example might be not losing your bloodlines when brought back to life.

Handy Links

nijineko

• King Kong
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2011, 04:07:04 PM »
the only major disadvantage of ghost levels (assuming that one is using the savage progressions leveled template) is that they grant no HD, BAB, saves, or skill point and feats progressions. however, if one can manage to use a canny level adjustment buy-off method, this becomes less difficult from a mechanical perspective, though the dm is unlikely to allow something like this....
Never game alone again!

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2011, 04:14:45 PM »
the only major disadvantage of ghost levels (assuming that one is using the savage progressions leveled template) is that they grant no HD, BAB, saves, or skill point and feats progressions. however, if one can manage to use a canny level adjustment buy-off method, this becomes less difficult from a mechanical perspective, though the dm is unlikely to allow something like this....
I've mentioned that before for ghost. The biggest question, really, is whether you have to buy off your LA at exactly the levels given(IE: you must buyoff your first LA at level 3, and if you don't you miss the boat), or whether the levels given are offsets from when you acquire the LA (IE: if you take a level of ghost at 4 you buy it off at 7)
Planetouched Handbook

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2011, 05:40:08 PM »
if you pick up levels w/ no saves, arnt you heading toward survivor qualification?

you adventure, level some
die, become a ghost, level some
get revived, level some survivor.
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

nijineko

• King Kong
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2011, 02:42:27 AM »
I've mentioned that before for ghost. The biggest question, really, is whether you have to buy off your LA at exactly the levels given(IE: you must buyoff your first LA at level 3, and if you don't you miss the boat), or whether the levels given are offsets from when you acquire the LA (IE: if you take a level of ghost at 4 you buy it off at 7)

in that link i gave i quote the exact rule. basically, it says that once you reach 3x LA in class levels (not counting monstrous HD), then you must immediately buy off the first level of your LA. so if your LA is 5, once you reach 15 class levels, you must buy off the first LA immediately upon obtaining enough xp to reach the 15th class level.

however, with the rules for gaining templates mid campaign, the templates listed in that link are broken down into levels, which count as levels for the purpose of leveling up. so you explicitly don't have to take all the levels of any given template, period. and you can still buy off the LA of what you have taken, in fact you must, once you hit 3x the LA in class levels.

so, to answer your question specifically, no you don't have to buy off the level at "3rd" level only. that table assumes that you have the LA from the start of your character, as in, you are starting off the game at that level. the formula for buy off = 3 times the number of class levels as you have level adjustment... and ECL and HD (class or prestige granted HD, that is) don't count for the purpose of this calculation.

to further illustrate, i'll use your example. you mentioned taking a ghost template level at 4th. this would make you an ECL of 4 consisting of 3 class levels, and 1 LA. according to the rules as stated in the text, you are now at a ratio of 3:1 class levels to LA, therefore you must immediately spend (ECL-1)*1000 or (4-1)*1000 = 3000xp. this will drop you to 3rd level at 3000xp with 0 LA and the abilities of one level of ghost template.

since i was working on a ghost telekinetic when i came up with the idea for the level adjustment mini handbook, that is what i'm using for an example.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 02:54:53 AM by nijineko »
Never game alone again!

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2011, 03:02:11 AM »
Yes, that is one way of interpreting it, but the LA buyoff rules are ambiguous on the matter because they assume you start off with your LA at level 1.
Planetouched Handbook

nijineko

• King Kong
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2011, 12:56:59 PM »
as i mentioned, the bit about the next calc starting at current point is implied by both table and text, and thus is stronger than either one would be alone (actual agreement between text and table, oh my!) it is still not stated. rai seems to be fairly easy to parse, but raw is muddy, as you say.

equally unfortunately, the midcampaign rules completely did not address when la buy off should be conducted once acquired mid stream. and that should have been one of the first questions they answered.
Never game alone again!

IlPazzo

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2011, 11:36:39 AM »
Yeah, the HP isn't great (unless you get killed by a dread necromancer on a desecrated altar)

I'm a noob, can you explain this? Is it some sort of ritual?