Author Topic: Did you cry when your first character died?  (Read 10930 times)

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
Re: Did you cry when your first character died?
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2008, 10:58:06 PM »
My first character death was a Wis 8 elf wizard with 20+ Int. I played him as the "Ohh! Shiny!!!" type of guy. So he found this neat looking scroll in the effects of the BBEG's bedroom. With the party on the other side of the hall looking at something else, my intrepid wizard (who was down to 7hp from a previous encounter and didn't heal up first) unfurled the scroll and eagerly read it:

"Today, I prepared Explos-"

The party later reported that the boom was quite deafening...

Shadowhowler

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2008, 02:18:46 AM »
My first character death was a Wis 8 elf wizard with 20+ Int. I played him as the "Ohh! Shiny!!!" type of guy. So he found this neat looking scroll in the effects of the BBEG's bedroom. With the party on the other side of the hall looking at something else, my intrepid wizard (who was down to 7hp from a previous encounter and didn't heal up first) unfurled the scroll and eagerly read it:

"Today, I prepared Explos-"

The party later reported that the boom was quite deafening...

Clasic.  :lol  Oh, and OotS is far and away my favorite game-comic.

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2008, 01:26:54 AM »
No.

My first character died to a ghost, but I hadn't been playing him for long and wasn't the one who built him...

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2008, 09:38:41 PM »
Back when I was starting DnD, I played one session (I was bard) wherein I barded quite efficiently. Then I thought, hm, maybe I can try something other than barding, because barding is boreding. So I attacked an Orc for 6 damage one time. Almost killed the bugger, too. But I just HAD to kill something, because up until that point I was the only one to not kill anything (even the wizard had managed to make a melee kill). So I challenged the sole remaining orc to a duel. He proceeded to win the initiative, and critical me to death. Then I introduced a new bard. That bard was killed by a barbarian. Needless to say, I was pissed.

Math: Sessions of that game played: 4

Characters killed: 2

Then I was drawn to being a druid and I have never felt better. I did do a brief foray into Favored Souls and then Ninjas, but Druids rock so much. I think I might just take Improved/Superior Unarmed strike because I can, and some Toughness.

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2008, 11:13:41 PM »
Completely OT, but WBM please make that Improved Toughness...please ;)
*waves hand* This is not the sig you're looking for...
The freely downloadable and searchable 3.5 SRD I prefer (Web)
Camlen, Enniwey

Mhirnatsu

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2010, 12:12:32 AM »
Of course. She was such a cute little catfolk ninja that was too stupid to go invisible and let the princess die a horrible, horrible death. (It didn't help that the DM rolled like 5 critical hits that day)

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2010, 10:07:37 AM »
How ironic: serious thread necromancy on a subject about death. :smirk

I started running a new PC recently that is a dread necromancer who's seriously attached to her mindless undead.  So she'll cry if any of her pals die.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Eepop

• Eep...Eepop...Eepop Ananamus
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2010, 12:44:41 PM »
No and Yes.

My first character never died, so No. He was a druid, and we didn't know any better so I was allowed to Awaken my animal companion though. A lot of times, we were short on players anyway so it turned out okay. The DM and I traded off playing him as appropriate, and he had a much more direct personality, and was very protective of the party.  He got into a rough situation protecting someone and died. There was some crying.

We had a couple other stories with the companion character afterward though, one with his essence ascending into a Spirit of Nature kind of thing, and then another later with the Spirit becoming tainted and the party needing to cleanse it.

The death was sad, but we got some really good stories out of it that we otherwise would not have. It also gave us an excuse for my druid to stop having an animal companion, as by this time our group had stabilized at 6ish players and an animal companion would probably just crowd things too much.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2010, 01:03:16 PM »
My first never died. I had a few who did die though. There were only 2 times I can think of that a character death got tears though.

One was my gnome giant slayer who died while holding off some giants who were attacking some farmers. He had every intent of following the farmers until he got beaten into a smear on the ground. While sad at the loss of my wonderfully over the top gnome it was actually the DM and one of the other players who cried, especially when my gnome didn't want to be resed.

The other was a wild elf that was my 2nd character in a modified DragonLance game. We started with several players and it dwindled down to 2 of us and the DM. My primary character was Peradure Soth, the half elf son of Lord Soth thought to have been killed in the cataclysm. Instead my character was saved by one of Soth's knights. Well the female elf was brought in as a love interest to stabilize my primary character who had a lot of issues, contemplating who his father was and taking on the sole responsibility of defeating him does that to you. Well he was a juggernaut in combat while she was a good Shadowsun Ninja. He managed to roll a 1 on a save vs domination. The next round he ended up doing a full attack on her and it was devastating, we are talking multiple crits from CoDzilla. He buried her, because the entire group knew she wouldn't come back, with a ring we had found in treasure several sessions before. That one had all 3 of us crying for a bit.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2011, 01:49:56 AM »
I was more P.O.ed than anything, given that we had a ready source of resurrections.

I then proceeded to put the S.O.B wwho killed me through excessive amounts of agony.

Though, if you mean permanent death, I haven't had one yet, so I don't know yet. I felt pretty empty inside after my DM killed off one of my characters for a game I left (happened with my consent; it was better than the alternative; my DM tends to mangle PCs he's NPCing), but that wasn't a true first death.
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2011, 12:39:33 PM »
No.  I was an Athasian elf who was way too full of himself -- died at the hands of a half-giant gladiator, mainly because I had yet to learn the application of hit-and-run tactics.  Hint: stand-and-deliver does not work when you are clearly out-matched. ;)

However, in a game I was DMing about 12 years ago (my 4th major campaign), one of the PCs died in a brutal battle ... one of the other PCs decided to give him a "proper warrior's burial" ... the player insisted on full-on roleplaying out the whole thing ... by time he was done, the whole group of us were at least choked-up, and 3 of us were in tears.  we stopped the game that night and went to a bar downtown to toast and mourn the character.  most epic roleplaying experience I've ever had.

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2011, 01:05:43 PM »
Wow.  I just can't get in character like that.  I have my character act in character, but I only do the more "mundane" conversations word for word.  If the conversation calls for getting emotional in some way, I tend to mention that the character "responds angrily" or whatever, rather than action the emotion out myself.

Although, oddly enough, I do a better job when I DM.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2011, 01:11:55 PM »
Wow.  I just can't get in character like that.  I have my character act in character, but I only do the more "mundane" conversations word for word.  If the conversation calls for getting emotional in some way, I tend to mention that the character "responds angrily" or whatever, rather than action the emotion out myself.

Although, oddly enough, I do a better job when I DM.
Probably because you have to illicit a response from the players so it is easier to do that by showing them emotion.

For me every character always gets some portion of my personality normally exaggerated for effect.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Whisper

« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2011, 06:24:03 PM »
I cried when my poor cleric was devoured by shadows, and I've made some of my players cry as well. 

And they say there are no female RPG players...

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2011, 09:23:42 AM »
Dunno, it would've been before I was 5 years old, but I was always kinda shallow. I barely remember the games then, let alone what I did in them. I remember having a ring that could blind people in an AoE and that would let me turn into a wolf, and I remember my dad made badass maps, but this would've been the very first edtion of D&D (Before they even numbered the editions), and I really can't remember if a character died or if I cried.

Losing a character you care about, have played awhile, and seriously enjoy playing can suck a lot though. Mine don't die often (Play enough Shadowrun and you start playing every other game like Shadowrun, which means you use too much caution, too much forethought, and too much firepower), but it's genuinely upsetting when they do. Even when a character I dislike dies, it still feels like a let-down. I enjoy playing more than I enjoy sitting out or creating new characters, so I try to survive so I spend the maximum amount of time playing possible.

Can't remember a time I've cried over an RPG though, I confess to getting upset enough that I was afraid I might cry though.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 09:27:21 AM by Bloody Initiate »
I don't employ memes. Mass-produced ammunition, even from reputable manufacturers, tends to malfunction on occasion.